Author Topic: question on dead bait rigs  (Read 2170 times)

Offline Martian

• Team IceShanty Addict
question on dead bait rigs
« on: Feb 12, 2022, 10:15 AM »
 I always use live bait, and circle hook rigs , for easy release on undersize fish.  I buy a couple dozen suckers , shiners, or whatever, and put them in an a tank with aerator. but day to day, they die off. so, I decided they are going to the lake, I salted and put in baggie and in freezer. I went out spearing, and put up 2 traps with dead bait. I could not keep flags down, and di manage to get one keeper. , but mostly had stolen bait. I have heard , dead bait needs to be watched better then live bait, not sure why., but I am thinking , I may need to loose the circle hook rigs , and go to treble, or quickstrike, when using dead bait. I had 2 traps, and about 14 dead minnows, ran out of bait. Thoughts on rigs for dead bait?Thanks

Offline spoofhoundicefisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: question on dead bait rigs
« Reply #1 on: Feb 12, 2022, 05:12 PM »
we use dead creek chubs from summer.  frozen then thawed when we need them and use dual treble hook rig and that seems to get the job done.

Offline Hillsfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: question on dead bait rigs
« Reply #2 on: Feb 12, 2022, 08:23 PM »
I use a single circle hook with dead baits (chubs or smelt) and hotdogs.  If your lake has a lot of smaller pike, then perhaps reduce your bait size.  One lake that I fish has a lot of smaller pike and they tend to be bait thieves.  I cut hotdog in half when I fish there, and that has helped catch the little thieves.  They end up pickled :)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.