Author Topic: Thermal tipup covers  (Read 3019 times)

Offline Conklin

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Navy Vet
Thermal tipup covers
« on: Jan 08, 2022, 06:09 AM »
I have a few but I'm not a big fan of them. Anyone else have any luck getting them to actually work properly.
If you can't stand the heat, get your bass out of the kitchen.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Thermal tipup covers
« Reply #1 on: Jan 08, 2022, 06:26 AM »
They work fine ..if its a hole cover day(frigid/wind) you must drill your hole and clear the hole and surounding area well..best with a shovel ..the more flat that closed cell foam cover over the hole area the better .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Ronnie D

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 08, 2022, 07:14 AM »
The frabill hockey puck type orange ones are all i use. I'll use a 7.5 gallon bucket to put em in and the 5 gallon bait bucket slides right in on top (6 total)
They take a little tuning and have to be wound directionality but once setup correctly you can use & adjust for any size fish.
Also the newer ones have a " stash box to store you'r hook/ tackle rig so i just openit up & fish instead of unwinding line & getting hoos snagged in my gloves

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #3 on: Jan 08, 2022, 07:19 AM »
The ones my bud uses are garbage.they are black with the extendable flags.frabills i think.the problem with them is the flag is hard plastic and catches wind and gets constant wind flags,plus the flags post when extended barely hold the flag up when a fish triggers them.i kicked one down the hole a few years back.i will stick with beaver dams and heritage lakers with hole covers.

Offline Subway4X4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 08, 2022, 01:33 PM »
Are we talking about the foam hole covers? Any suggestions on which one to buy? Never used em but willing to try, since last trip of last season, my holes were freezing up and closing over pretty quick.
Old Noob - Sponsored by my lovely wife.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Jan 08, 2022, 01:47 PM »
Are we talking about the foam hole covers? Any suggestions on which one to buy? Never used em but willing to try, since last trip of last season, my holes were freezing up and closing over pretty quick.

Most all will work as they are closed foam ..find the cheapest you can find ..Mills Fleet has a set of three ..just some require paying for shipping . Like I said above ..shovel to the ice ...even better to shovel to the wind side to block the wind some .. also setting the hole cover slit in the right direction ..so when you approch the hole and remove the hole cover its an orchestrated move..I kneel on my cover to take care of the tip up.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline ActiveTrapChecker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 08, 2022, 02:20 PM »

I use the floor mats from Ocean State Job Lot for both my polar and stick tips ups.

But like HD points out keeping a clean set up can go a long way in slowing down the icing over of a hole

Offline ActiveTrapChecker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 08, 2022, 02:32 PM »
I use the floor mats from Ocean State Job Lot for both my polar and stick tips ups.

But like HD points out keeping a clean set up can go a long way in slowing down the icing over of a hole

Here’s the original prototype

Offline Subway4X4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 08, 2022, 03:03 PM »
Hardwater- Just ordered a couple three packs from Scheels. Hopefully it helps with the icing over. Thanks!

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Jan 08, 2022, 04:38 PM »
Hardwater- Just ordered a couple three packs from Scheels. Hopefully it helps with the icing over. Thanks!

Good luck with your purchase ..They really shine on windy/frigid days .

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #10 on: Jan 08, 2022, 04:43 PM »
The black ones work great,no hole icing over and no light coming thru hole.i use them every time i set my tipups.

Offline Subway4X4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 08, 2022, 05:06 PM »
Yup Doc. Ordered the black ones!

Offline JBDekes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 09, 2022, 09:40 PM »
Guys,
     Another way to help with this is to put an aerator down the hole. Make sure stone is above spool so it doesn't wrap up, but, acts just like one of the ice defense units but WAY cheaper.

I've been using rechargeable D batteries as well in them to keep battery cost down.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.