Author Topic: Breaking in Beaver Dam tip-ups  (Read 2017 times)

Offline whiteymalone

• IceShanty Rookie
Breaking in Beaver Dam tip-ups
« on: Jan 04, 2022, 10:45 AM »
A quick search on here showed several mentions of Beaver Dam tip-ups getting smoother with use. Everyone said the more you fish 'em the smoother they get. Has anyone affixed one to a drill press and just let it go to break it in? If anyone has first hand experience, I would love to hear what your conclusion is. Thanks!

Offline tbirdbassr

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • illinois
Re: Breaking in Beaver Dam tip-ups
« Reply #1 on: Jan 04, 2022, 10:58 AM »
You don’t want to get it hot and “melt” the lube out that is the key to how they work!

Offline whiteymalone

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 05, 2022, 10:39 AM »
I thought it would go without saying that they would have to be degreased, cleaned and re-greased after a machine break in.

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 05, 2022, 10:45 AM »
If I was going to go through the hassle of relubing I'd just polish the surfaces that make contact. Agree that after the drill press you'd the up needing to relube. The old beaver dams are better quality than what they've put out the last few years, hard to find deals on old ones lately though

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #4 on: Jan 05, 2022, 11:23 AM »
Waste of time anyways.bd tipups are good and smooth out of the box.but yes old ones are better as ive had rust issues on my new sets flag poles.

Offline whiteymalone

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 06, 2022, 05:17 PM »
The two that I ordered just showed up today. They are for a fishing buddy. They definitely need some work to make them spin as free as they should. They are far from great out of the box. I'm going to try the drill press route and see  how it goes. They have a set screw retaining the spool to the shaft so they are very easy to take apart for a clean and re-lube. I'll post if it helps or not.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #6 on: Jan 06, 2022, 05:45 PM »
Yeah not a fan of that set screw in the spool either.have to take off all the line to lube.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.