Author Topic: Spooling spinning reels?  (Read 858 times)

Offline markinohio

• Team IceShanty Regular
Spooling spinning reels?
« on: Dec 17, 2021, 09:11 PM »
I'm a panfish guy and restrict my fishing depth to 30' (C&R safe depths), and usually under 20'.

I've been using 3lb Pline fluroclare for several years with good results. I buy in bulk, and fill the spool just like soft water spinning rods.

I want to try Clam Frost which is significantly more expensive. I use 100% flurocarbon on soft water for the quicker drop, and want to try some more visible color (pink) on the ice. Only interested in using flurocarbon as a running line (not just a leader).

For those that use flurocarbon as a running line....

Do you completely fill the spool with the line?

Use another line as backing?

Or, just under fill the spool enough for your fishing conditions?

Thanks,
Mark

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
Re: Spooling spinning reels?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 17, 2021, 11:18 PM »
If the reel is dedicated to fluorocarbon, it's spooled up entirely of fluorocarbon line.  Otherwise it's typically just some yardage of fluorocarbon over something else.  For me it's usually braid underneath and you could say it's an attached fluorocarbon line length about 20 yards.  I don't like this set up as sometimes the line on the spool catches the knot.  So I bury my knot into the underlayer lines.  However if I had learned the FG knot it probably would've just flowed through easy.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Icefishingute

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 18, 2021, 12:02 AM »
I’m like you and use PLine Flouroclear. Every year I feel like I need to try pure fluorocarbon, so I do. I end end pulling it off after the first trip every time and going back to Flouroclear. Fluorocarbon is just too stiff for ice fishing in my opinion.  My knots seem weak, it flies off the spool by itself (especially when really cold) and I don’t think it increases my catch rate. Flouroclear rocks. 

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 18, 2021, 06:46 AM »
I typically use a mono backing and 20-30 yards of fluoro. They say that putting your spool in a bowl of warm water while spooling up your reel works to quell the memory problem.  I tried it this year.  We'll see if it helps when I can fish.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #4 on: Dec 18, 2021, 06:56 AM »
The only fluoro i could use on a spinning reel with a full spool is yo zuri hybrid.its not coily,stiff and doesnt come unraveled off the spool.probably because its not 100% fluoro.i mainly only use it for leader material if at all .i like the forgiving stretch of mono as i dont always have my drag set perfect and use light line in 1lb for gills and 2 for specks.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #5 on: Dec 18, 2021, 07:13 AM »
I'm a panfish guy and restrict my fishing depth to 30' (C&R safe depths), and usually under 20'.

I've been using 3lb Pline fluroclare for several years with good results. I buy in bulk, and fill the spool just like soft water spinning rods.

I want to try Clam Frost which is significantly more expensive. I use 100% flurocarbon on soft water for the quicker drop, and want to try some more visible color (pink) on the ice. Only interested in using flurocarbon as a running line (not just a leader).

For those that use flurocarbon as a running line....

Do you completely fill the spool with the line?

Use another line as backing?

Or, just under fill the spool enough for your fishing conditions?

Thanks,
Mark

I am using 3# (.0068 dia.) Clam Frost (actually made by Sunline) this year and filled my spools with it. However, without using it yet, I have somewhat of a concern as it wanted to uncoil off the reel as I was spooling it. So I dunno. If I were to do it all over again, I would go with Sunline's FC Ice line. The 3# dia. is slightly less than the Frost (.0061 dia.). I have spoken with a couple of guys that use it and they are real happy with it. Btw...I am using the Pink color with a clear leader.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 18, 2021, 08:42 AM »
If the reel is dedicated to fluorocarbon, it's spooled up entirely of fluorocarbon line.  Otherwise it's typically just some yardage of fluorocarbon over something else.  For me it's usually braid underneath and you could say it's an attached fluorocarbon line length about 20 yards.  I don't like this set up as sometimes the line on the spool catches the knot.  So I bury my knot into the underlayer lines.  However if I had learned the FG knot it probably would've just flowed through easy.

Instead of needing 3 hands, your foot, and teeth to tie the FG knot for pan fish, simply add a dab of super glue to your knot and it won't catch on the spool.  The FG not is really only needed in saltwater IMO.  A double uni, alberto, modified alberto or even a triple surgeon should be sufficient.  Cut the tag ends short and add a dab of super glue.
westernmas on the finder

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 18, 2021, 08:44 AM »
I’m like you and use PLine Flouroclear. Every year I feel like I need to try pure fluorocarbon, so I do. I end end pulling it off after the first trip every time and going back to Flouroclear. Fluorocarbon is just too stiff for ice fishing in my opinion.  My knots seem weak, it flies off the spool by itself (especially when really cold) and I don’t think it increases my catch rate. Flouroclear rocks.

I tried the Premium PLine last year and it's claim that it has low memory seems to be true.  It also says it is visible under black light, which I don't really get the advantage (or possible disadvantages), but the low memory seems to help a bit. 
westernmas on the finder

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.