Author Topic: Missed strikes on the jaw jacker  (Read 5832 times)

Offline Whytie

• Team IceShanty Addict
Missed strikes on the jaw jacker
« on: Dec 10, 2020, 10:49 AM »
Looking for some advise on how to stop missing so many strikes with my jaw jacker. Was out last weekend and and missed 12 strikes and caught one jack. Was using a jig and minnow and every time I missed a strike, I'd check the bait. The bait was either ripped in half or had some of the skin missing from the back half.

Was using a long shank jig running the hook through the mouth and out the back of the minnow (only allowed dead bait in Saskatchewan). Any advise is appreciated.

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Missed strikes on the jaw jacker
« Reply #1 on: Dec 10, 2020, 10:58 AM »
Did you run any slack to give the fish time to eat it? (I use a bobber with a paper clip through it)

Offline Sufishticated

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 10, 2020, 11:07 AM »
Did you play with the sensitivity of JJ, try to tighten it, sounds like it springs too early. Could add small treble and more slack.

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Dec 10, 2020, 11:08 AM »
Run the hook parallel to the dorsal fin ..with the hook point pointed back to the tail fin ..fish usually hit the head (eyes) ..that way the hook point will be position...also moving toward the head some may help. 
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline BH ICE 0507

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 10, 2020, 11:08 AM »
Depends on the type of fish you're targeting. If you're getting trout to hit you're rarely going to lose strikes in my opinion cause they hammer the whole thing. If you have perch messing with your set up they will only bite the tail or tip of the minnow all day long and you'll never hook one. The most surefire way to set them every time is to give the fish nothing else to bite other than the hook (put a half a wax worm on a jig....). I'll also use pink plastics and a jig and tear off any tails of the plastic that the fish could hit that's not on the hook. If all that is still failing and you're super desperate you can put a size 18 treble as a stinger one inch below the jig..... just gotta give them nowhere else to grab onto but the hook.

Might also be worth mentioning the weight of the rod. Medium to medium heavy is the best in my opinion because it still has some give to fight the fish on its own but it has enough back bone to set the hook when it goes off.... let me know if your luck changes!
Never enough tip ups

Offline Whytie

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 10, 2020, 11:22 AM »
Did you run any slack to give the fish time to eat it? (I use a bobber with a paper clip through it)

Kayl,

I didn't give any slack since the wind would blow the line off the trigger mechanism. do you have a way to keep it on? and I'll give the bobber idea a try next time I'm out.

Offline Whytie

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 10, 2020, 11:28 AM »
Depends on the type of fish you're targeting. If you're getting trout to hit you're rarely going to lose strikes in my opinion cause they hammer the whole thing. If you have perch messing with your set up they will only bite the tail or tip of the minnow all day long and you'll never hook one. The most surefire way to set them every time is to give the fish nothing else to bite other than the hook (put a half a wax worm on a jig....). I'll also use pink plastics and a jig and tear off any tails of the plastic that the fish could hit that's not on the hook. If all that is still failing and you're super desperate you can put a size 18 treble as a stinger one inch below the jig..... just gotta give them nowhere else to grab onto but the hook.

Might also be worth mentioning the weight of the rod. Medium to medium heavy is the best in my opinion because it still has some give to fight the fish on its own but it has enough back bone to set the hook when it goes off.... let me know if your luck changes!

BH,

I'm targeting walleye's but had pike roam through. I'm also using a fiberglass 36" Med ugly stick (not the G2 ones they are too light) with a semi light drag set up so the fish can run a bit and not haul my rod down the hole.

Offline BH ICE 0507

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 10, 2020, 11:33 AM »
BH,

I'm targeting walleye's but had pike roam through. I'm also using a fiberglass 36" Med ugly stick (not the G2 ones they are too light) with a semi light drag set up so the fish can run a bit and not haul my rod down the hole.

If that's the case I'd pinch off the head of the minnow and do what aaron wiebe does--take off the treble from a flutter spoon put the hole of the hook through the back of the minnows mouth and out the front... that will give them nowhere else to grab... I'd be pretty damn shocked if a walleye is able to set that thing off without getting hooked. Are they hooking up and then shaking it before you get to it? Might be worth adding some bells or something to the rod so that you know immediately when you get one to pop
Never enough tip ups

Offline DowneastPescador

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 10, 2020, 11:38 AM »
It took me a while to dial in my jacker. Eventually I found that my 30 inch medium worked well and did a short 24inch medium stick. Depending on the the length of the rod adjust the jaw jacker often until your hooking up. Have a good bend but not a super extreme bend works well for me. I also set the jacker to not go off at the slightest touch, a fish will bump but not commit and set it off. Set it so it takes a full bite to trip the mechanism, fairly tight on the trigger screw.

Offline DowneastPescador

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 10, 2020, 11:39 AM »
Oh and use a bare hook not a jig head.

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #10 on: Dec 10, 2020, 11:50 AM »
Kayl,

I didn't give any slack since the wind would blow the line off the trigger mechanism. do you have a way to keep it on? and I'll give the bobber idea a try next time I'm out.

I made a couple of the bobbers pictured here with a large paper clip and a bobber ..works well..pops off usually on the hook set so no obstruction when fighting the fish. EZPZ

https://automaticfisherman.com/store/#!/small-yellow-and-black-balsa-wood-pin-and-hook-bobber/p/111995218/category=15414122
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 10, 2020, 12:39 PM »
I made a couple of the bobbers pictured here with a large paper clip and a bobber ..works well..pops off usually on the hook set so no obstruction when fighting the fish. EZPZ

https://automaticfisherman.com/store/#!/small-yellow-and-black-balsa-wood-pin-and-hook-bobber/p/111995218/category=15414122

Yup, same thing I do

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 13, 2021, 03:03 PM »
If you are using medium to large shiners as bait I find a harness works best. Two small treble hooks tied about 2-2.5 inches apart with one in the lip and the other in the tail. Some days the fish are very aggressive and take a full gulp but other days they are just lipping either the heads or tails so a hook on each end seems to work for me. With the Jacker you have to remember it is a quick action hook setter so what you are seeing is the fish taking lip bites and the trigger yanking it away too fast. You might also try setting the rod holder on the lower setting with less bend in your rod.
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 20, 2021, 11:29 AM »
I have seen people using a snowball as a weight to hold some slack in the jaw jacker line. Seemed like it would require a little experimenting to get right, but you would not have to worry about getting rid of it like if you use a slip bobber of something permanent.

Offline Subway4X4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 27, 2022, 07:10 PM »
Jawjacker is my favorite.

I add a bobber between the two rod eyelets and adjust the slack as needed.

I use the Leland trout floats because it’s easy to slide the line through the slit in the float ( no paper clip needed) and it’s cheap.

Leland's Lures Trout Magnet E-Z Trout Float, Fishing Equipment and Accessories, Fishing Lures, 36 Slotted E-Z Floats
by Amazon.com
Learn more: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BD571Y4/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_PXRQBQQEMNFYQ8H1M7XE?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Hope this helps.

Old Noob - Sponsored by my lovely wife.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.