Author Topic: pike trip  (Read 6995 times)

Offline duncan440ex

• IceShanty Rookie
pike trip
« on: Jan 17, 2007, 07:19 AM »
Where n North America is the best spot to catch a trophy pike?  I'd like to plan a trip for next winter for maybe 5-6 days to catch a monster.  Where would you go and why?  Would like to have a guide if possible.

Offline Logan22

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fish-a-holic
Re: pike trip
« Reply #1 on: Jan 17, 2007, 10:58 PM »
Either the Northwest Territoties or Northern Saskatchewan.
Born to FISH, Forced to WORK!

Offline IceTroll

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 18, 2007, 04:46 AM »
Not at all disputing Logan because Canada has some trophy Pike and plenty of them. But I would have to say in the lower 48, my hands down favorite place is Ft. Peck Reservoir in North East Montana. You asked why and I would have to say because the proof is in the pudding.

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=34685.0

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=11840.0

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=22126.0

We have this kind of success every year for the past 12 years. I have hooked Pike bigger than any in those pictures as well that I have never landed. Not sure what your definition of a trophy Pike but those Pike in the upper teens and low 20's in those pictures are trophy Pike in my book.
Being in the great outdoors is not a matter of life or death. Its far more important than that!

Offline Bailbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 18, 2007, 05:22 AM »
Hey Icetroll ,Where did you get the fish gripper?BB

Catching big fish is like winning the door prize!
Have to be there to win!!!!

Offline duncan440ex

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 18, 2007, 06:21 AM »
those are some big fish :o   usally don't see anything that big here unless your out in the ocean(Maine).

Offline IceTroll

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 18, 2007, 01:44 PM »
I believe I got the fish gripper from Cabelas. I really like it and would highly recommend them. I switched to the gripper because I hate the idea of gaffing those really big Pike we catch because I have no interest in killing those fish. The gripper has proved to be a reliable way of getting them out of the hole without doing unnecessary damage. Makes the fish a little easier to handle as well for the photo opportunity. Plus I can set the fish back into the hole, hanging on to the gripper while someone gets the camera ready so the fish is not out of the hole and in the cold air for too long.

IceTroll
      :callcops:

Being in the great outdoors is not a matter of life or death. Its far more important than that!

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm keeping my eye on you guys.....
« Reply #6 on: Jan 18, 2007, 02:28 PM »
No offense Ice Troll but trophy pike by Canadian standards (IMO) would be high 30 lb, low 40 lb fish. For those my buddies tell me you should hit right in your hometown province Logan 22....I might be going there in late Feb if things work out ;D Those are definately nice fish you pull out of Fort Peck area ;D
Guess it depends on what your definition of a monster is.

pcsminer

« Reply #7 on: Jan 18, 2007, 04:29 PM »
To consistantly get 30 to 40 pound fish is a little far fetched. Maybe once or twice in a lifetime espeacially 40 pound. Now if we are talking 20-30 pounders thats more believeable. I fish one of the best fisheries in North America and that's what u can expect. Don't get me wrong though the chance is always there to hook a 40 pounder but not with any consistance. If u can do this please let me know which lake cause i'm goin there for a trip. :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 18, 2007, 07:30 PM »
Nice pike pcsminer. For sure amongst every 35-43 lber you are going to catch a bunch of 20-35 lbers. 40lbs wouldn't be the norm but they would definately be a trophy. If I'm going to spend big $$$ to go for trophies then I would want the chance at 40 lbers. I would expect to catch many under that weight. PM me and I will tell you my spot that I long to go to and when to go if you want ;D

Offline IceTroll

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 19, 2007, 03:42 AM »
No offense taken TGF. But I still hold to my statement that Ft. Peck is one of the best trophy Pike fisheries in the LOWER 48. Although I have never landed a 30 lb Pike I have hooked fish that were pushing that size. The lake also has spit out numerous fish over 30 but none at 40. There is also highly reliable and substantiated reports of a 53 lb fish that was shocked up by Game and Fish several years back. The state record is 37.5 pounds for Northern Pike although it came from Tongue River Reservoir. The lake also holds the world record for Sauger at 8.75 lbs, the world record for Saugeye at 15.66 lbs, the state record Walleye at 16.63 lbs and a lake record 42 lb Lake Trout. If those are not trophy fish, I guess I am confused about exactly what a trophy fish is. In my humble opinion, any Northern Pike over 25 lbs is a Monster Northern regardless of what is possible elsewhere. If you want to really get nit picky, Canada is not the best place for true Monster Northerns either. I do believe Germany would get that nod since the world record came from there and is in the neigborhood of 55 lbs. I also have a standing offer to any Shanty members who want to come to Ft. Peck when I am there for my annual trip, that I will show them the ropes at no cost but their expenses, which if done right, is not a high dollar trip. My buddies and I have even offered accomodations at no cost As many as 6 or so members have taken me up on the offer for this years trip. We shall see if things work out for them.

P.S.   Very nice fish pcsminer. You guys obviously have a system that works well and a top notch Northern fisherie. Very impressive.

IceTroll

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 19, 2007, 09:42 AM »
In my humble opinion, any Northern Pike over 25 lbs is a Monster Northern regardless of what is possible elsewhere. If you want to really get nit picky, Canada is not the best place for true Monster Northerns either. I do believe Germany would get that nod since the world record came from there and is in the neigborhood of 55 lbs.

IceTroll

All I'm saying in my humble opinion is high 30s and low 40s by some Canadian standards would be classified as a monster northern. 25 -35 would be trophies. My buddy fishes them and says it is a real rush when you get a 40 lber on and it is pulling you towards hole :woot:
Fishes a bay that is loaded with monsters in spring. Uses 80 lb test otherwise wouldn't get them in.
I guess everyones idea of a monster pike and a trophy pike are different including mine from yours. Maybe I'm setting my standards too high :-\

Yes we in Canada do not have the biggest Northerns but by North American Standards I think we do.
My buddy in Sweden sends me some pics of huge northerns caught in Europe. I'm jealous.

No offense taken TGF. But I still hold to my statement that Ft. Peck is one of the best trophy Pike fisheries in the LOWER 48.
IceTroll

Agreed for sure.

Offline Tip-Up

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 22, 2007, 08:39 PM »
40's? R u crazy? LMFAO!

The world record  (N.A.) is 42 lbs (+ change)......and that's stood for like 350 years!

A  honest 30 is a once in a lifetime from an any accessable lake....Canada or USA.

Offline michiganbowhunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 23, 2007, 01:39 AM »
"The only American pike to break into the top 100 is Peter Dubuc's 46-pound, 2-ounce fish, the current North American record. It was caught more than 50 years ago in 1940 from New York's Sacandaga Lake."

checked several websites and all said the same.

Offline michiganbowhunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 23, 2007, 01:53 AM »
"Largest Known Pike
This pike is believed to be the largest genuinely recorded specimen - although it was not caught by fair angling. 30.5kg (67.1lb)
Netted
Dannstadt Gravel Pit
Germany
1983"

just posting this for fun  :D 

Offline IceTroll

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 23, 2007, 02:17 AM »
A  honest 30 is a once in a lifetime from an any accessable lake....Canada or USA.

End of story. This coming from a man who is probably the top trophy Northern fisherman I have had the pleasure to chat with. Maybe one of the best in North America. I thought I knew a thing or two about catching big Pike until I met Tipup on this site. He has probably forgot more about catching big Pike than many of us will ever know. He doesnt say much very often but if your serious about catching big Pike, when he speaks most of us would be wise to listen.

IceTroll

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 23, 2007, 05:10 PM »
End of story. This coming from a man who is probably the top trophy Northern fisherman I have had the pleasure to chat with. Maybe one of the best in North America. I thought I knew a thing or two about catching big Pike until I met Tipup on this site. He has probably forgot more about catching big Pike than many of us will ever know. He doesnt say much very often but if your serious about catching big Pike, when he speaks most of us would be wise to listen.

IceTroll

Well I stand corrected then gentlemen ;D. Guess I was listening to my Canadian informants too much. I definately don't profess to know much about pike as have only caught a maybe 4lber when I went back to Manitoba last year :'(. But now I know I have to take my informants up on a fly in trip in the spring and see if they are telling the truth.
Yes for sure Tip up knows Big Pike as I have also pm'ed him for info. Great pics of nice northerns. Might take me 2 years but I will search for the truth and see if they were pulling my chain ;D

Offline Master Angler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 10" Hole = Less tales of the big one that got away
« Reply #16 on: Jan 23, 2007, 05:42 PM »
A good drive to trophy pike lake is Reed Lake in northern manitoba.  It has a good population of trophy pike and lake trout.  Best time would be late march.

Offline darkhousefisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Me and my fishing buddy
« Reply #17 on: Jan 23, 2007, 09:50 PM »
If it was up to me, I would go for them Canadian monsters.  Fort Peck has some trophies, but is very inaccessible.  If your gonna spend the money, go for the gusto.  BTW Fort Peck is my back yard.

Offline IceTroll

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 24, 2007, 12:10 AM »
Ft Peck is inaccessible? Explain that to me because I am not sure what you mean by that. You can drive right down the boat ramp onto the lake at Hell Creek and go anywhere you want on a 4 wheeler or snow machine. You can do the same on North Rock Creek. I can name almost a dozen other spots I have drove a 24' camp trailer within 50 feet of the lake in the dead of winter for the last 12 years. You can throw a rock from the town of Ft. Peck, where the dam is, and hit the lake. Sorry Darkhousefisher but that is one of the most inaccurate things I have ever seen posted here.

IceTroll

Offline darkhousefisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Me and my fishing buddy
« Reply #19 on: Jan 24, 2007, 05:51 AM »
You can drive right down the boat ramp onto the lake at Hell Creek and go anywhere you want on a 4 wheeler or snow machine. You can do the same on North Rock Creek. I can name almost a dozen other spots I have drove a 24' camp trailer within 50 feet of the lake in the dead of winter for the last 12 years. You can throw a rock from the town of Ft. Peck, where the dam is, and hit the lake. Sorry Darkhousefisher but that is one of the most inaccurate things I have ever seen posted here.

IceTroll

1500 miles of shoreline and you can enter at "almost a dozen" spots is what I mean by inaccessible.  And if you are ice fishing you need a four wheeler or you are fishing with the crowd.  Icetroll you have fished it for 12 years so you know where to go, someone who has never fished it is not so sure, so they would have to hire a guide.  And with the lake hitting a new record low, the fishing spots keep changing.  If I had to hire a guide I would rather go to Canada.  Just my $.02.

Offline springer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 24, 2007, 07:55 AM »
That sounds pretty accessable to me. Inaccessable would mean you have to get flown in and dropped off by aircraft. No roads going near it. But technically no place is inaccessable because you can always snowshoe in, sometimes though you would have to snowshoe 300 miles one way :-\ . Trees would be to close to get snowmachine thru it so snowshoes or skis would be only way in....thats what some call inaccessable.

Offline IceTroll

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 24, 2007, 01:20 PM »
1500 miles of shoreline and you can enter at "almost a dozen" spots is what I mean by inaccessible.  And if you are ice fishing you need a four wheeler or you are fishing with the crowd.  Icetroll you have fished it for 12 years so you know where to go, someone who has never fished it is not so sure, so they would have to hire a guide.  And with the lake hitting a new record low, the fishing spots keep changing.  If I had to hire a guide I would rather go to Canada.  Just my $.02.
There is not a member here at the Shanty who would need to hire a guide to fish Peck. I have offered time and time again, this year included, to meet anyone who wants to make the trip when I go and share what I know and have learned by experience. This year my buddies and I also offered a place for people to stay. Walltrout from western Montana is meeting me there this year. Jigmaster5000 from Montana and Fishuhalic from Minnesota also took me up on my offer but a death in Jigmasters family and a very unfortunate traffic accident where Fishuhalic was injured are going to prevent them both from coming. Several more expressed interest. Its a very "do able" trip on a limited budget for people who want world class fishing. You are right about the 4 wheeler or snow machine though which is an absolute must on that Lake. Most years, we very rarely see other people because I wont "fish with the crowds" either. A lake that size, there is no need to.

IceTroll

Offline Tip-Up

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #22 on: Jan 24, 2007, 06:18 PM »
Yeah but........I wanna kill a mule deer?  ???

Offline IceTroll

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 24, 2007, 08:52 PM »
Yeah but........I wanna kill a mule deer?  ???
Yeah well I wanna kill a monster Whitetail. Maybe we can work something out  ;D.

Offline Shaggy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 25, 2007, 07:17 PM »
Awesome pics man, im jealous.   

Offline Walltrout

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Feb 02, 2007, 01:20 AM »
Awesome pics man, im jealous.   

I am too... that's why I took IceTroll up on his generous offer.  I hope to post some better ones from this year in about a week!!  I have lived in Montana all my life, I decided it was finally time to get out to Ft Peck. Thanks IceTroll
Walltrout

"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau

"If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong."  John Giera

Offline IceTroll

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Feb 02, 2007, 03:54 AM »
See you up there Walltrout. I hope to be there Sunday morning the 4th but with this weather we are having I am a bit concerned. Its -35 with the wind chill with blowing and drifting snow. Kinda sucks for loading gear, traveling or even fishing when its that cold. I am hoping it warms up in the next couple of days, even if its just a bit. We should have no problems with ice though  ;D. Gotta find the silver lining in every cloud.

IceTroll

Offline willbilly

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ONTARIO NEW YORK
« Reply #27 on: Feb 02, 2007, 11:08 AM »
There is not a member here at the Shanty who would need to hire a guide  year  ,        :callcops:

Hey Ice troll - My son is gong into the Navy! I want to come out to your great state on a hunting trip with him!! A once in a life time thing!! Mule or elk? Like to get some info from a guy like you regarding guides and accommodations! All inclusive type! We don't need anything fancy!

Any info is greatly appreciated!1

Bill

Offline deadbait dave

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ><(((((((((((((((((((((o>
« Reply #28 on: Feb 02, 2007, 07:04 PM »
icetroll im gonna make it to fort peck soon! gonna bring some of my special dead baits and special monster pike set up's.we will see how big they get there looks very promising! awsome fish you guy's catch there.
trout make big pike fat and happy!

Offline IceTroll

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Feb 03, 2007, 04:04 AM »
Willbilly,
When I get back from my trip on the 21st and have some time I will get you some info. I believe you are too late for 07 because I do believe the application deadlines for non residents have past (end of January). Check the Wyoming game and fish web site to confirm this. Are you interested in rifle hunts or archery hunts? This would affect who I would refer you too since I know several people in the outfitter business who certainly cater to and specialize in different areas. Also, just Mulies and Elk or are Pronghorns on your list as well?

Deadbait dave,
Would love to have a fellow Piker come give the waters a try. Peck is a whole lot more than just big Pike though. The world record Sauger and world record Saugeye both came from Ft. Peck. Are you interested in an 08 trip? If so, keep me posted and I am sure we can work something out.

IceTroll

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.