Author Topic: Hard case: Deluxe ice rod case or new Scheel’s/Plano ultimate case  (Read 7519 times)

Offline CoachWalleye74

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • SD
I am buying a large hard sided case to replace my striker transport. 

I was planning to get the Deluxe Ice Rod case from ice innovations as i’ve heard such good things...https://ultimaterattlereels.com/product/deluxe-ice-advantage-rod-case/

then I saw Scheel’s and Plano have come out with their ultimate hard sided case: https://www.scheels.com/p/scheels-outfitters-ultimate-ice-fishing-case/08227100100.html

Any thoughts on the comparison, or recommendations?

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
The ice innovations case is hard to beat, arguably the best on the market if weight isn't an issue. I spent some time checking out the new scheels case last week and I have to say, nice work Scheels! I believe it is slightly smaller and lighter than the innovations case but very well made and thought out. I'm not a fan of having the storage cases inside my rod case, but that seems to be how it is. Most of the storage cases are accessible in the Scheels case without removing the rods (big one on the bottom rods would need to be removed). Honestly, if I wasn't content with my regular hard sided case, I'd be getting the new Scheels case over the innovations case, a little bit cheaper and I don't think you'll be losing any quality or features...
Da Pack!

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
Sorry, I meant the ice advantage case in that last post. Had the innovative tip downs on my mind....  ::)
Da Pack!

Offline CoachWalleye74

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • SD
Great info.

When in Scheel’s today I took one of their new Scheel’s in-line combos and put it in that Scheel’s/Plano case and If it had an extra half inch (top to bottom) it wouldn’t have hurt.  I use mostly inlines so that has me slightly concerned..

Offline lunkerslayer

• Team IceShanty Regular

Offline bowmandan

• Team IceShanty Regular
Go to the archery department and look at the hard side arrow boxes.   About the same box but 1/4 the price

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I have 2 of the Eagle claw cases and they work great. 5 to 6 combos and several jig boxes as well as my other essentials and all for $49!

A bad day of ice fishing is better than any day at work!
http://i.imgur.com/dIEANML.jpg?1

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
Great info.

When in Scheel’s today I took one of their new Scheel’s in-line combos and put it in that Scheel’s/Plano case and If it had an extra half inch (top to bottom) it wouldn’t have hurt.  I use mostly inlines so that has me slightly concerned..

Is the Scheels/Plano case the same thing? I thought plano had their own case too but I could be wrong. Lifetime warranty on scheels brand is nice, especially since they stand behind their warranty and have great customer service.
Da Pack!

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
Wish that they would just list the full exterior dimensions...
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Peccavi18

• Team IceShanty Regular
Do any companies have a 28" ish case? I only have 24" and 26" rods, with no need for jig box storage. Just something for full rod and reel storage.

Offline SKIFFLAKEJIMMY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Go to the archery department and look at the hard side arrow boxes.   About the same box but 1/4 the price
X2
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline Herms

• Team IceShanty Regular
Hey papa I have the same case and I love it for the price and what it provides.  Quick question what size are those larger clear storage containers?  I've been meaning to get something like that so I can store my raps better.

I have 2 of the Eagle claw cases and they work great. 5 to 6 combos and several jig boxes as well as my other essentials and all for $49!

Offline CoachWalleye74

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • SD
I've looked at the eagle claw case, and Plano has a case at scheels that is a copy of the eagle claw but a little bigger. 

I am intrigued with the plano/scheels case and for $20 less I may give it a try. 

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
Wish that they would just list the full exterior dimensions...

exactly...

Offline midwest_rodworks

• Team IceShanty Regular
Looks like the Flambeau is the same as the Eagle Claw case other than the color of the snap closure
"Balance in all things"

Offline tbern

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Looks like the Flambeau is the same as the Eagle Claw case other than the color of the snap closure
looks like the eagle claw is 1" longer and has one more row of foam inserts to hold the rods, but the flambeau has foam in the top cover and if I'm looking at the picture correctly the eagle claw does not?

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
So with these cases, do you need to collapse the reel handle for storage?

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
depends how many reels you store. I store 5 or 6 so I need to.

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac

I believe 3400 but you can adjust the foam to fit what ever size you have

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
So with these cases, do you need to collapse the reel handle for storage?

Depends on the case and type of reels you run. Most spinning reels need to have the handle at least loosened a bit. I don't think you would need to with the Scheels or ice advantage cases though. They look to have more room between rods to me, but I can't say from experience.
Da Pack!

Offline SINX53

• Team IceShanty Addict
Looked at the flambeau case last night at fleet, looks very similar to the eagle claw. Only exception is that the foam in the flambeau is set up for two piece rods. i suppose you could flip the foam and cut new slots.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
I have the Eagle Claw case and I collapse the spinning reel handles. I'm thinking about storing four rods in the case since I have never needed six rods while on the ice. I can always have more rods in my pickup or wheelhouse.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline vanhln

• Team IceShanty Regular
CoachWalleye,
Why you moving away from the Striker Transporter?

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
CoachWalleye,
Why you moving away from the Striker Transporter?

I was wondering the same thing. I know some people were complaining about jigs getting caught, but I use tiny lure wraps and haven't had any issues. I love how the transporter keeps everything together and how well it goes on my back.

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I moved away from the Transporter for a few reasons. Jigs do get stuck. Bag doesn't stand up on its own when out on ice. Not long enough for my larger rods. 2 zippers got stuck and broke after 2 weeks. Got 2 Eagle claw cases for a lot less than 1 Transporter and can carry 10 rods vs 5. I use finicky foolers and 1 case has 5 of them with 5 rods and the other has all jigging stuff as seen above.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
What about lake wood cases  or even a skb cases ?? Just a suggestion those brands seem to be tougher then others.. 

Offline VenomInjected

• Team IceShanty Regular
Anyone consider just making their own out of a Plano Tactical All-Weather?

Offline CoachWalleye74

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • SD
Moving away from transporter for a few reasons.  I don’t carry it like a backpack so that feature doesn’t do much for me; jigs get stuck, in-line reels pinch line and cause tension on quick tip rods, I’ve broken 4 rod tips in 2 yrs, and it’s hard to get rods out or in from both sides in a flip over. With $50-$100 rods (5-8 rods) and how i fish I want the added security and will take the added weight. I love the storage of the transporter!

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
 why not make a rod transport box out of wood?? Or even a sled organizer.. I always find that any thing store bought never works it's plain and simply how it is why do you think your getting rid of the transporter case??  cause it don't fit what you want or it dont suit your needs well !! seen a few very nice custom boxes made out of wood like 1/2 or 1/4 inch ply wood ..  unless your pulling buy hand think about a large grand scale organizer??  that can store neatly tip ups, propane, jig boxes, lantren or heaters, etc,  think about the layout and how to organize your sled what you need and don't need..  this way it's not all bouncing around in it. .  I hate seeing people intrested in vertical rod holders cause as soon as you flip it close then flip it open you got broken rods.. this is why I am looking in to the cases at lake wood and skb etc.. the problem i am haveing is there not nice enough for what your paYing and just plain and simple are not right for me and I am sure it's the same for you?? Could even add a battery box and switche's like a consol for a boat.. could even carpet it but this is all up to who building it and what they want??  Look around before you buy some thing for 100 cause I am sure that 100 Is better spent else ware??  Probably can build a nice organizer for $35 depending what your want and needs/wants  are??

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.