The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Piermont setback?  (Read 5143 times)

Offline Akbl4

• IceShanty Rookie
Piermont setback?
« on: Mar 10, 2018, 06:00 PM »
Anyone know how the ice is on the Piermont setback?

Offline 802clamjammer

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Piermont setback?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 10, 2018, 11:08 PM »
Just went out today. Still plenty of ice. Soft on top with some snow but decent underneath. No plank needed to get on either

Offline Akbl4

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Mar 11, 2018, 04:32 AM »
Thanks

Offline keithm87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Mar 14, 2018, 02:58 PM »
Anyone know how much snow this area got and how thick the ice is?

Offline Icemanvt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 15, 2018, 09:05 AM »
Can you buy bait in Vermont to use at the setbacks?
FLAG!!

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Mar 15, 2018, 09:08 AM »
Can you buy bait in Vermont to use at the setbacks?
Yes NH has no bait rules/bait slips.

Offline Icemanvt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Mar 15, 2018, 09:12 AM »
Yes NH has no bait rules/bait slips.

Thanks!
FLAG!!

Offline keithm87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Mar 16, 2018, 05:52 AM »
Anyone know snow and ice conditions?

Offline PIKE426

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Mar 16, 2018, 02:58 PM »
If you find out please let me know headed up tuesday next week Thank you

Offline 802clamjammer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Mar 17, 2018, 09:03 AM »
Just FYI you cannot but bait in Vermont to use on the setback.

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Mar 17, 2018, 10:57 AM »
Just FYI you cannot but bait in Vermont to use on the setback.

This is true but all you have to say (If even asked) is that you purchased the bait at Blah blahs NH bait shop.Vt. bait is certified(supposedly) and most NH dealers buy the exact same bait. It is a stupid rule for the Conn.  river as folks can enter from the Vt. side with Vt bait but can't enter from the NH side with VT bait .

Offline catfish4577

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Mar 17, 2018, 06:35 PM »
The CT river is in NH. You can't take live bait in to NH weather your walking on ice or driving. Only licensed bait dealers.  NH doesn't have a live bait Law but you can't transport it into the state.

Offline Akbl4

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Mar 18, 2018, 06:07 AM »
Went to the setback last night. 12-14 inches of is but none of it is very good. Be safe. Bite was very slow.

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Mar 18, 2018, 06:40 AM »
The CT river is in NH. You can't take live bait in to NH weather your walking on ice or driving. Only licensed bait dealers.  NH doesn't have a live bait Law but you can't transport it into the state.

The Conn. river divides Vt. and NH.  ::)

Offline Mascoma

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Mar 18, 2018, 07:52 AM »
NH owns the CT river. It separates the two states but it is owned entirely by NH.

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Mar 18, 2018, 10:15 AM »
NH owns the CT river. It separates the two states but it is owned entirely by NH.
Vt resident fishing license is good on the Conn. river to the NH high water mark or first bridge (I don't remember which it is ). That pretty much covers the river  though.

Offline catfish4577

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Mar 18, 2018, 11:34 AM »
You are right you can fish the river with a resident Vt. license. A non resident VT fishing license is no good on the river. it is still HN waters to the first bridge on VT side and the hight water mark. I got a good education on this when fishing the setback. My wife and i were ice fishing and got checked by an NH warden i had a VT Resident and NH non Resident license. My wife (an NH Resident) had her NH resident and VT non Resident. Thinking it didn't mater witch one she showed him she handed the VT.
That was my first lesson of the day. VT resident only.  her NH license was ok of corse. Next lesson. Our bait. he asked where i got it and i said Ed's in Hartford VT. He informed me about the law of bringing bait into NH and gave me a written warning. i said we and hundreds of others have fished the river for years bring bait onto the river especially ice fishing. The next day call NH fishing game and talked with them about this. They said the law has been on the books for years but not enforced but the warden was following the book and since then i have talked to others that have received warnings. So most people lie where they buy their Bait.

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Mar 18, 2018, 04:41 PM »
You are right you can fish the river with a resident Vt. license. A non resident VT fishing license is no good on the river. it is still HN waters to the first bridge on VT side and the hight water mark. I got a good education on this when fishing the setback. My wife and i were ice fishing and got checked by an NH warden i had a VT Resident and NH non Resident license. My wife (an NH Resident) had her NH resident and VT non Resident. Thinking it didn't mater witch one she showed him she handed the VT.
That was my first lesson of the day. VT resident only.  her NH license was ok of corse. Next lesson. Our bait. he asked where i got it and i said Ed's in Hartford VT. He informed me about the law of bringing bait into NH and gave me a written warning. i said we and hundreds of others have fished the river for years bring bait onto the river especially ice fishing. The next day call NH fishing game and talked with them about this. They said the law has been on the books for years but not enforced but the warden was following the book and since then i have talked to others that have received warnings. So most people lie where they buy their Bait.
Cat, Great post from you to clarify the bait rule. As I said though it is absurd as you can go on the SAME body of water with your Vt bait IF you enter from Vt. Somehow the bait becomes tainted if you enter from NH to use that bait ? LOL

Offline catfish4577

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Mar 18, 2018, 05:29 PM »
Sorry your wrong you can't go onto the river from the VT side with live bait certified or not. once you put a foot on the ice or water you are in NH.

Offline Mascoma

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Mar 18, 2018, 06:10 PM »
The ironic thing is when you buy bait in VT and your from NH they put on the slip where it says body of water "CT River". LOL
 I'm not sure NH and VT are on the same page in regards to the live bait and the CT river.

Offline grasspikerel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Mar 18, 2018, 09:49 PM »
There is more to this.  The CT River is NH to the average LOW water mark on the Vermont side and those lines exist prior to the influence of dams.  So therefore a small, but significant amount of setback and reservoir areas such Moore and Comerford are actually Vermont water.  So for example I believe a non resident Vermont is good on Vermont setbacks such as Hunts Meadow which is west of the original low water mark.  And I don't think a non resident New Hampshire resident license is good there.  On the other hand the only non resident license that would be legal, east of the low water mark would be a New Hampshire non resident license.  So the only non resident license that would work in piermont or Hindsdale would be New Hampshire.  You can see the state lines on good quality maps.

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Mar 19, 2018, 05:21 PM »
Sorry your wrong you can't go onto the river from the VT side with live bait certified or not. once you put a foot on the ice or water you are in NH.

Why do NH bait dealers sell bait slips that say Conn river only? It is so the fisherman can enter from the Vt side.  ;)

Offline catfish4577

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Mar 19, 2018, 06:16 PM »
If a Bait shop in NH has a VT bait dealers license and their bait is VT certified then you can transport it into VT with a slip.

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Mar 20, 2018, 05:17 PM »
If a Bait shop in NH has a VT bait dealers license and their bait is VT certified then you can transport it into VT with a slip.

Yes and if you enter the Conn river  from the VT side w/out a bait slip you are subject to a fine from a Vt game warden.

Offline 802clamjammer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Mar 23, 2018, 09:14 AM »
Anyone go down this week? Ice conditions?

Offline FishinDJ

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Mar 23, 2018, 11:02 AM »
Fished it yesterday afternoon. I meant to measure it before I left but forgot. Still a good amount of ice but its not good stuff. Just starting to open up near the brooks but the edges where you get on are still solid.

Offline 802clamjammer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Mar 23, 2018, 05:16 PM »
Thanks for the update!

Offline NHHARDWATER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • -Aaron-
« Reply #27 on: Mar 26, 2018, 10:18 AM »
Im actually really curious.... When was the last time anyone saw a VT game warden ON the river? Not shoreline... on the water.
NH governs the rules, so I dont think Vt's already thinned out CO division will patrol the river.... and no NH warden will ask for a bait slip. Im just sayin  ;)
Chasing Ice

Offline FishinDJ

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Mar 26, 2018, 10:35 AM »
I ran into the same warden twice on the ice at Hoyts this season. Nice guy, I wanted to know if using a glow light for night fishing was legal since its NH water. He called his NH warden buddy and confirmed that it was.

Offline NHHARDWATER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • -Aaron-
« Reply #29 on: Mar 26, 2018, 11:09 AM »
I ran into the same warden twice on the ice at Hoyts this season. Nice guy, I wanted to know if using a glow light for night fishing was legal since its NH water. He called his NH warden buddy and confirmed that it was.
Interesting.... You said "Since it's NH water".... then what was a VT game warden doing checking you on NH water? out of his area wouldn't you say?
Chasing Ice

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.