The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: base layer  (Read 1682 times)

Offline marten

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
base layer
« on: Dec 13, 2017, 10:11 AM »
hi guys just thinking I should up date my base layer and with all the new kinds hoping you can help what do you guys use?? want hy wt kind thanks marten ;D :tipup:

Offline Trout4evah

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: base layer
« Reply #1 on: Dec 13, 2017, 10:24 AM »
I use polypropylene on really cold days. mine are more of the military surplus style.. cant remember the brand of the top of my head. they are extremely warm though!

Offline TheCrappieFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 13, 2017, 11:18 AM »
Cabelas has some good stuff, ECWCS is spendy but nice, can find it for half off. MTP is a little cheaper, the polar is thick! UnderArmor is well regarded also.

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Dec 13, 2017, 11:22 AM »
Terramar ..reasonably priced
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Frankr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 13, 2017, 11:32 AM »
That base layer is more to transport water off your skin than to insulate. You don't want cotton, which absorbs water and keeps it right on your skin. I've had good luck with thin synthetics, particularly polypropylene.

Frankr

Offline caught_the_fever

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 13, 2017, 12:12 PM »
I like to use a combination of Under Armour Cold Gear (3.0 or 4.0) as my primary base with a light, loose fitting Techwick shirt from EMS.  I've found that additional wicking layer makes a difference for me as we typically travel on foot - though I never put my jacket on during the walk out to our spots, I find myself still sweating on occasion when pulling the Jiffy 3HP, jack traps, etc, etc.  Though the UA insulates and wicks, another wicking fabric provides a noticeable improvement.     

Offline mrbean1025

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 13, 2017, 12:45 PM »
I use polypropylene on really cold days. mine are more of the military surplus style.. cant remember the brand of the top of my head. they are extremely warm though!

Polartec held the contract at one point.  Not sure if they still do but they are great. 

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 13, 2017, 12:48 PM »
Silk. @)

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 13, 2017, 06:22 PM »
In many winters of working at ski resorts I have tried almost every base layer made in the last 40 years. My favorite is Pategonia Capilene Lightweight. It's a treated polyester. There are heavy and mid weight versions with more insulation but I get my insulation from the mid layer. At $50 for a top or bottom Capilene is expensive. There are other brands with what appears to be the same material and I buy their tops to save money. I stick with Pategonia for the bottoms because they fit better.  Polypropylene is warmer but it is scratchy and less comfortable. Cotton has more insulating value when it's dry but will suck the heat from your body if it's wet. Wool and silk will keep you warm but I want something I can put in the washer and dryer. The newest thing in base layers is made from bamboo fibers. I have one t-shirt and can vouch for it's comfort and moisture wicking in hot weather but I have not tried any bamboo winter base layer.

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based fishing!
« Reply #9 on: Dec 13, 2017, 07:38 PM »
I follow the rule, Cotton Kills. I don't use one stitch of cotton in any article of clothing for hunting, fishing, or snowmobiling. I like polypropylene, have used it for years. Im sure there's something better on the market now. I use the 3 layer method. Base layer, Insulating layer, then my Shell.
Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based Bass, Pike, Fly fishing, Ice fishing, Brook fishing and Trolling. Feel free to follow along as I move through the Maine fishing seasons!!
My Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoA9o9knJAVeEkur3dDAMnA?view_as=subscriber

Offline csiacd78

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 13, 2017, 07:45 PM »
I got a Union Suit from Beans last year. Not sure on the material,  but I love it. Takes some getting used to if your going to be in it for long periods of time!

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Dec 13, 2017, 08:01 PM »
I have used the L.L. Bean or Duo-Fold double layer long johns that have the cotton wool blend.

Offline smitty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 13, 2017, 08:52 PM »

Offline lion

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Rippin' lips one fish at a time!
« Reply #13 on: Dec 14, 2017, 06:35 AM »
Giant fan of the UA Base Layers.  There number system makes it really easy to really dress for the weather.  I have 1.0 all the way up to 3.0 and I use them all throughout the winter.  Pretty pricey, but you are lucky enough to stumble onto a sale, I would stock up.  I went into Indian Hill a few years ago and they had a 50% rack of nothing but UA Base Layers and my wife and I got all we needed!

Offline bearnoob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 14, 2017, 07:25 AM »
I never bought into the thick base layer trend because I tend to overheat easily. I use a thin set of Merino wool long johns I got from Costco about 4 years ago. I think the  brand is called paradox. Those plus a fleece sweatshirt and my parka are plenty of warmth for me, and if it is just me out I leave the shelter and sit on a bucket down to about -11. Even at those temps my feet and hands are the problems while the rest of me is toasty.
Hardwater fisherman since 2014. All opinions subject to change as experience increases.

Offline joefishmore

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 14, 2017, 10:03 AM »
I have used the L.L. Bean or Duo-Fold double layer long johns that have the cotton wool blend.

dUOFOLD is not available at Beans anymore and the cheap replacement is poorly sewn and chaffes.
The duofold was my favorite because I can't tolerate wool next to my skin.
The synthetic products are made from petroleum products and the fibers aren't hollow so don't retain a lot of heat.
The claim is they "wick" but that is fake and I don't believe it for a second

Offline troutaddict33

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Dec 14, 2017, 10:21 AM »
Smartwool base layers was the best $150 I ever spent. Wicks moisture better than any Under Armour or similar products I've owned and being wool, it will keep you warm even when wet! Love it

Offline TroutWorm

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 15, 2017, 08:22 AM »
Cooldproof long long Wally world cheep and sweat pants walk world cheep and Carhartt artic bibs not cheep but worth it and that's all you need. Get guide gear snowmobile boots cheep they have liners to that come with it, good to put them in any other boots to

Offline Eskimo6120

• IceShanty Rookie
  • FLAAG!
« Reply #18 on: Dec 18, 2017, 02:04 AM »
UnderArmour, Spyder, etc. Look into clothes in the skiing/snowboarding section. Plenty of options to be had

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Dec 18, 2017, 06:59 PM »
Whether you choose polyester, polypropylene, wool or something else, don't let price limit your choices. The expensive brands are worth it if they keep you more comfortable in worse conditions.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.