Author Topic: Is this site dead?  (Read 5030 times)

Offline landlockedviking

• Team IceShanty Regular
Is this site dead?
« on: Nov 27, 2017, 12:41 PM »
What's going on with this site? Barely any one posting, what posts there are aren't getting any responses.... Time to pack it in iceshanty by the looks of things... kind of sad used to be a great site.

Offline dkruks

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Is this site dead?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 27, 2017, 01:53 PM »
The Manitoba section of this site definitely is a lot slower than most areas, but as a whole the shanty is full of activity.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #2 on: Nov 27, 2017, 02:01 PM »
iceshanty is nowhere near dead.hahaha.go over to my fishfinder if you want to hear crickets and a few tumbleweeds.lol.alot of us wont have ice for another month, and regulars stay here all year me included.best site on the web imo.

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish..the other white meat
« Reply #3 on: Nov 27, 2017, 06:25 PM »
What's going on with this site? Barely any one posting, what posts there are aren't getting any responses.... Time to pack it in iceshanty by the looks of things... kind of sad used to be a great site.

Everyone is out fishing and no wifi on the lake, lol.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #4 on: Nov 27, 2017, 10:12 PM »
look for this in the top

Hello landlockedviking
    Show unread posts since last visit.
    Show new replies to your posts.
    Nov 27, 2017, 03:35 PM

click on Show unread posts since last visit.
boom, posts.

Offline Deerblaster5

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Nov 27, 2017, 10:23 PM »
I agree the Manitoba portion is quiet the last 2 years. It use to be the place I got all my info. Where everyone at?

Offline landlockedviking

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 28, 2017, 07:02 AM »
I suppose I should have been more specific, as I was referring to the Manitoba Ice Fishing section not the entire site... In the Manitoba section there are very few posts and comments. This used to be my go to for advice and questions, and I was more than happy to share any info that I could as well... Now the MB section is really quiet sad... IMO its pretty lame that MFF has more activity than Ice Shanty as MFF is mostly guys taking shots and ridiculing each other... 

Offline Blue Mago

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 28, 2017, 07:21 AM »
It has died down a lot , i know there was some bickering a few years back and some left or no longer comment , some have passed on as well .....needs to be more publicly talked about so new members are recruited .That and as was said ....no real hard water yet so many checking here but no one is posting , that or keeping there locations under wrap so as to not get crowds onto there best spots
Enjoy The Ride ,You only Get One Chance

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #8 on: Nov 28, 2017, 10:34 AM »
my state board (michigan) is really slow all year until ice is here and then everyone wants ice reports mostly. same on mff as far as being slow. a few try to keep it alive. we talk about temps when it starts getting cold and some ask general questions. with out ice, that's about all one can do.
if your board had some issues, then maybe some were banned and thought they could never return again, but they can.
many people leave with the ice and only come back when ice is near. some of us stay all year and have lots of fun here like i do.

there are states with ice right now and those boards are active. if you don't have ice yet, then that should explain some or most of the inactivity and if people were felling hurt by comments in the past they may have moved along. when ever that happens the person(s) need to report it to a mod so it can be dealt with asap. people do get banned here for being rude and disrespectful.

try being creative to have discussion during the off season so people will want to talk and enjoy doing so, this is what gets folks to be here and some of them might want to be part of the community. we do have some of that power here. i enjoy talking here, a lot!
most of that type of talk is spread throughout this giant site tho and not limited to one place on earth as most of that conversation is for all of us or general purpose, if you will. i know in my state board some talk will ruin bodies of water with people talking too much about things. that's why many of us are very careful about what is said in public like we are now.  some lakes got violent because of meth labs on them and law being involved and threats and such. some bodies of water can't handle all of the extra pressure loose lips can create on a public forum and many know of this and might feel bad when reading others doing just that. we all like to share but have to also protect our natural resources at the same time.
if you watch the stats for this site and look at how many visitors there are versus how many users there are, you'll get a better understanding. many lurkers here waiting for info they don't deserve because they are not members or if some of them are they want to act like a lurker.

if you watch the home page for new topics you might find conversation you want to be part of too. it is interesting to see certain questions come in state boards that have nothing to do with that state other than the original poster asked the question or made comment there. i'll join in no matter which state or provence it is in like some of us did here. that's what the home page is for.

if you only read and all of us think that's all we have to do, then there will be no site.

Offline AndyJ

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 28, 2017, 11:23 AM »
You Manitoba guys can always come over and talk in the Saskatchewan part of the forum.  :'(

Offline Deerblaster5

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Nov 28, 2017, 12:36 PM »
Yeah but we'll have to listen to Rider talk! Lol

Offline bb400guy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Nov 28, 2017, 10:17 PM »
You Manitoba guys can always come over and talk in the Saskatchewan part of the forum.  :'(

Ya, but once in there all you smell is the color green and feel game-losing Kevin Glenn interceptions just before they happen. 
How long is a piece of string?

Offline AndyJ

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Nov 29, 2017, 06:53 AM »
Ya we're kinda goofy that way. We need more local farm boys on that team.

Offline landlockedviking

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Nov 29, 2017, 08:21 AM »
I totally agree 3300, the internet has killed its fair share of fisheries here in Manitoba and there are guys that only want to lurk, when they do post they are basically asking for the gps coordinates to your fishing hole. I think I will take all your guys advice and expand my horizons past the MB forum. Tight lines all

Offline squ1rr31_

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Addicted to freezing.
« Reply #14 on: Nov 29, 2017, 08:26 AM »
Ahhh pre-ice season, when everyone starts to think the worst of everyone because they're anxiously awaiting ice. Easy there big guy... This site isn't going anywhere. Want to liven things up? Post.

Offline flat liner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Nov 29, 2017, 08:42 AM »
424 views so far doesn't seem dead to me. But I to am to blame since this is my first time on this year. In my defense thou, I haven't been on Facebook much this past year either because I really don't give a crap what you ate yesterday and I already know you caught that fish with a hook through the ice on a lake.

So if ya'll want to keep this site going lets keep posting where we were and what we used so people will keep coming back to get tips and enjoy their time on the ice catching fish.

P.S This site is one of the better ones for sharing.

Offline muddpuppy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Dec 07, 2017, 10:50 AM »
Hey Flatliner, so you start it off....
where are you catching and what special hook is working these days ?

Offline greenbackhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Dec 07, 2017, 05:59 PM »
It’s not dead, everyone is just posting elsewhere more, that’s all. The fb group has almost 11,000 members, there’s two Manitoba specific forums, it’s just people posting or looking for info there rather than here.

Offline flat liner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 08, 2017, 01:51 PM »
I have been out to CIL road only twice so far this year and only in the afternoon but still caught some nice eaters. The ice was 10" last Sunday under the transition line. I was using the same hook a did really well with last year on the lake and I was the only pulling up the fish that were on the flasher. Its an odd pink and white jig with a really long red hook on it that has a curve in it so its not like a normal jig. The head is kinda long shaped to and it used to have a black bar on it that claimed to be a bait holder, but I took it off. The other guys had pink as well but for some reason the fish only wanted mine. I couldn't tell you what the jig is called, I found it last year in my tackle box and have been looking for more of them ever since.. Best hook ever. I will be on the lake this weekend and will up date then.

Offline muddpuppy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Dec 08, 2017, 05:40 PM »
I'm using the pink and white spoon you sold to me last year!

Offline greenbackhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Dec 09, 2017, 12:48 PM »
That’s one of James Patterson’s jigs.

Offline blue igloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "We don't remember days....only moments!"
« Reply #21 on: Dec 14, 2017, 06:20 PM »
I'm baaaaack! Let's get this season started. I'll be going out soon and posting....how.....whe n and of course..where I was! Stay tuned. I don't own a Smart phone so I don't Facebook every fish .....as I catch them  ::) Lots of guys looking at their phones instead of their flashers  ::) Not me  :) Blue Igloo  :tipup:

Offline blue igloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Dec 16, 2017, 11:05 AM »
The FB site is full of the recent surge of "pop up shelter" era "anglers". With that comes a cell phone attached to their hand.
I'm in that generation myself, but I'm an old soul. I'll take photos on the ice, but no FB for me. I access that site through my wife's account just to view reports and photos.
The comments are typical amateur comedian/sarcastic fare that unfortunately comes with my generation.
Mind you, I'm not very young myself though at 37...

The MFF is another story. There are a handful of negative, big talkers on there that stifle activity. Worst part is that they seem to revel in it. The mods are dismal and too week in the knees to do anything about it. It drives people away and snuffs participation. Pretty sad state over there.
Well said Van Noord  :thumbsup:
Blue Igloo  :tipup:

Offline greenbackhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Dec 16, 2017, 11:14 PM »
The FB site is full of the recent surge of "pop up shelter" era "anglers". With that comes a cell phone attached to their hand.
I'm in that generation myself, but I'm an old soul. I'll take photos on the ice, but no FB for me. I access that site through my wife's account just to view reports and photos.
The comments are typical amateur comedian/sarcastic fare that unfortunately comes with my generation.
Mind you, I'm not very young myself though at 37...

The MFF is another story. There are a handful of negative, big talkers on there that stifle activity. Worst part is that they seem to revel in it. The mods are dismal and too week in the knees to do anything about it. It drives people away and snuffs participation. Pretty sad state over there.

That’s why we started another forum, where there’s mature conversation, and no mods.

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #24 on: Dec 17, 2017, 06:09 AM »
Don’t know about everyone else but I check this site everyday of the year.Lots of good folks that provide some really good info!
Keep it safe!

Offline walleye28

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Dec 18, 2017, 09:34 AM »
go to have you back Blue...look forward to your reports...always...hav e a great xmas.

Offline blue igloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Dec 18, 2017, 10:38 AM »
go to have you back Blue...look forward to your reports...always...hav e a great xmas.
Thanks walleye28.
Blue Igloo  :tipup:

Offline walleye28

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Dec 20, 2017, 09:38 AM »
good, wow, what was I thinking there.

Offline reel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Dec 20, 2017, 09:33 PM »
That’s why we started another forum, where there’s mature conversation, and no mods.

......nothing there though and boring as sheet.

Offline big-brother

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • bring on the ice!
« Reply #29 on: Dec 20, 2017, 09:44 PM »
......nothing there though and boring as sheet.
.    I concur!!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.