Author Topic: earliest on the ice  (Read 2996 times)

Offline yooperdave

• Team IceShanty Regular
earliest on the ice
« on: Nov 05, 2017, 03:42 AM »
whats the earliest everyone has ever gotten out on the ice,,,,december 11 in 2010 we fished lake fannie hooe in copper harbor.
da splake chaser

Offline skinnytrucker

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: earliest on the ice
« Reply #1 on: Nov 06, 2017, 04:08 PM »
Most years I can usually hit a small inland pond near my home on or around December 6th. I’m hoping that holds true this year. I’m so pumped for the upcoming season
Da Buckless Yooper

Offline Depthfinder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Nov 11, 2017, 07:50 AM »
Around Nov 17 on very shallow lake with little snow and cold weather in October.  Ice is 2 1/2" on that lake as we checked Friday night.  I don't like to go out unless its 3" min everywhere.

Offline Icer for life

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 11, 2017, 08:00 AM »
Way down south here in the LP, think it was the second week in December a dozen years or so back.  Looking to make a trip this year to ice fish in the UP, will be my first time - I keep checking the maps and sites, doing as much reading as I can, hope maybe to get up there between Christmas and New Years.

Offline yooperdave

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 13, 2017, 03:41 AM »
if you come between xmas and new years you will have a pretty good selection of lakes to try
da splake chaser

Offline Icer for life

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 14, 2017, 05:40 AM »
Thanks YooperDave - I've always been a Gill fisher with a tip up set on the side just in case a Northern decides to have a bite - all on small bodies of inland water.  Guess that is what I look for, but also since i am not getting any younger, kind of thinking I need to learn more about other species.  Anyway, I'm five or so years away from retiring and have it in my mind that I will want to move north - just because I love winter so much.

Icer - Dave

Offline Hardwaterluver

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 14, 2017, 07:43 AM »
Dec 14th is the earliest I've been out
I want to move north like Icer Dave but will most likely be working 3 days after my death   :o
If your gonna be dumb..........you'd better be tough.

Offline Tipup Master

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A bad start to the day!
« Reply #7 on: Nov 15, 2017, 10:59 AM »
Somewhere in Mich already has 2 1/2 inches of ice. Amazing.  I did see they started in Northern Minnesota.

Offline srobocop

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 16, 2017, 08:21 PM »
Last year I want to say I fished the day after Thanksgiving? Or maybe it was two years ago?
-Sro
"I ain't from Michigan, I'm from the U.P."

Offline chasepalosaari

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 21, 2017, 09:12 PM »
November 27th, 2014 I was on Chassell with a snowmobile on a solid 4"

Offline Bodean

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Nov 22, 2017, 06:26 AM »
I think it was two years ago maybe 3 lake missaukee on Thanksgiving weekend

Offline srobocop

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Nov 23, 2017, 02:12 PM »
Walked on Ice yesterday. almost drilled a hole and put a line in just say I fished, but two hits with the spud were going through so decided not to hang out there too long.
-Sro
"I ain't from Michigan, I'm from the U.P."

Offline steeliebob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 06, 2017, 09:02 AM »
I gave it a shot on November 13 and the shore ice was not good so I am going to try again Saturday morning. Where I am going I only need to get out about 15 feet and I will be good. Just to the edge of the drop off.

Offline Icer for life

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 06, 2017, 10:55 AM »
Hoping to see soon some pictures of Michiganders on the ice somewhere in the UP - I need to really move up there.

Offline steeliebob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 08, 2017, 10:57 AM »
Going scouting tomorrow. I will definitely be out there on the 15th.

Offline yooperdave

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 09, 2017, 03:26 AM »
definitely heading out to rice lake early next friday, me and my partner have always been able to get small pike an perch early in the season. we are going to rent one of the new shanties an the ion auger from the true value in calumet and see how we like them.
da splake chaser

Offline SnoHam13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Dec 09, 2017, 06:16 PM »
Dave ,I hope the road is open for you with all this snow
not sure if any one is plowing it this year

SnoHam13

Offline yooperdave

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 10, 2017, 03:46 AM »
were gonna go look thursday, always so anxious to get out on the ice the first time each year,,,,cant wait to try the new gear out. we are going to rent the ion auger from true value an see how we like it, sort of like the idea of quiet and light weight.
da splake chaser

Offline Flag UP

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 10, 2017, 08:49 PM »
definitely heading out to rice lake early next friday, me and my partner have always been able to get small pike an perch early in the season. we are going to rent one of the new shanties an the ion auger from the true value in calumet and see how we like them.

Dave, please post here how you did. My wife and I took a ride out to look at Rice yesterday. It didn't look like anyone has been out there yet except for on set of footprints that only went out about 20' from shore. The lake looked very slushy and I don't know how the ice is. We usually fish it quite often in the winter but the success with the pike has not been there the last few years. Something has happened in that lake. I have been unable to find any cabbage weed growing anywhere where we used to find it. That was always the thing we keyed on in the summer anyway.

Oh yeah, I wasn't fishing but I did walk out on Rice many years ago when I was driving by when deer hunting on Thanksgiving day. I saw a couple of people fishing and just had to see how they were doing.

Offline SnoHam13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Dec 16, 2017, 02:15 AM »
were gonna go look thursday, always so anxious to get out on the ice the first time each year,,,,cant wait to try the new gear out. we are going to rent the ion auger from true value an see how we like it, sort of like the idea of quiet and light weight.

how did it go fishing/ ice auger  ???

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.