Author Topic: Quick Strike Rig & Hooks  (Read 2100 times)

Offline Squall

• IceShanty Rookie
Quick Strike Rig & Hooks
« on: Feb 21, 2006, 01:03 PM »
I am new to ice fishing for pike and i have been reading up on the forums but i'm not quite sure how to rig the quick strike rig with treble hooks.  I ice fish alot for bass, trout, salmon, pickerel or whatever will eat my shiner and i have always hooked the bait with a normal hook just under the dorsal fin.

Do you hook a treble hook the same way and leave 2 barbs facing away from the bait?  and on a quick strike rig do you put one through the lips and one through the dorsal fin?

I appreciate any info.

Offline pike4some

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GIT R DONE
Re: Quick Strike Rig & Hooks
« Reply #1 on: Feb 21, 2006, 02:30 PM »
With a treble hook you leave the other two hooks stick out. Quick strike rigs i havent used much but when i did try them i put them in front of the dorsal and one by the tail. My feeling on these are you need a larger bait to get them to fit better.

Offline Auger

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Chicks dig blaze orange!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 21, 2006, 04:19 PM »
I use a single treble or octopus hooks on shiners/roaches.  I only use quick strikes on bigger suckers and dead smelt.  When I do use a quick strike, I insert the first hook as near to the center of the back as I can to help the bait hang horizontally --  I don't know if this matters or not, it's just a habit.  I then put the "trailer" hook either in the head or near the tail, based purely on whim, voodoo, and impulse.
High Chancellor of WIRC and Provost of Potent Potable Procurement .

Seattle Seven Member #000003

Offline fishinmastah

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 21, 2006, 04:44 PM »
i use a treble hook on the front of the rig and hook the fish through the lips and leave two points facing out and have a single hook at the back hooked through the tail...barly lose any fish on it
Team Maine!

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 21, 2006, 06:24 PM »
I usually use 4 - 8" baits, so quick strike rigs are optimum. I just use 15 - 20 pound fluoro. Then I slip on a #8 treble and leave it freely sliding on the leader. Then on the end I tie on another #8 gamakatsu treble on the end.
I have never missed a pike that was steadily taking line on the hookset when I have employed quick strike rigs. They are most defenitely the way to go. Set the hook when the pike is steadily turning the spool. No waiting for a pike to "swallow".
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

Offline Muskie Matt

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Throw'em back! & report abuse EPO # 800.632.8075
« Reply #5 on: Feb 27, 2006, 10:35 PM »
I usually use 4 - 8" baits, so quick strike rigs are optimum. I just use 15 - 20 pound fluoro. Then I slip on a #8 treble and leave it freely sliding on the leader. Then on the end I tie on another #8 gamakatsu treble on the end.
I have never missed a pike that was steadily taking line on the hookset when I have employed quick strike rigs. They are most defenitely the way to go. Set the hook when the pike is steadily turning the spool. No waiting for a pike to "swallow".

well said!

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
« Reply #6 on: Feb 27, 2006, 11:07 PM »
I have missed a few pike that just grabbed the bait but never one that was steadily turning the spool.
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.