Author Topic: What size circle hooks for pike?  (Read 12386 times)

Offline Yukoner

• Team IceShanty Addict
What size circle hooks for pike?
« on: Feb 03, 2016, 07:18 PM »
Those of you who have actually tried circle hooks for pike, what size do you use with cut bait or dead bait?

Thanks,
Ted

Offline whale1979

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: What size circle hooks for pike?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 04, 2016, 04:51 AM »
Im wondering what you guys use for stinger hooks? 

Offline gorf37

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 04, 2016, 02:20 PM »
(I haven't used circles on pike... :) )

What's got you thinking about using circle hooks for pike Ted?  The only time I have bad hook-ups on pike is when casting spoons that are too small (they love the #2 Mepps Syclops, but can swallow it whole...).

One thing I've taken to doing is cutting one hook off my treble, making them a double.  That way as long as I can get my pliers on the hook, all I have to do is turn my wrist the right direction to un-hook. 

Just curious!

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Length 47 3/4 " Girth 24" NY Northern Pike
« Reply #3 on: Feb 04, 2016, 04:20 PM »
It really depends on what size bait you are using, I experimented with all sorts of hooks, Ive used 1/0, 2/0 circle hooks , J hooks , Octopus etc etc and the conclusion i came to was they just arent worth it for pike,I think the inside of their mouth is so tough that its not a problem for a circle hook to weasel its way out without digging in.. Just my opinion.. Trebles are the way to go in my book...
TeamNumbnutts on youtube ... Subscribe !
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=teamnumbnutts&sm=3

Offline Yukoner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 06, 2016, 03:12 PM »
(I haven't used circles on pike... :) )

What's got you thinking about using circle hooks for pike Ted?  The only time I have bad hook-ups on pike is when casting spoons that are too small (they love the #2 Mepps Syclops, but can swallow it whole...).

One thing I've taken to doing is cutting one hook off my treble, making them a double.  That way as long as I can get my pliers on the hook, all I have to do is turn my wrist the right direction to un-hook. 

Just curious!

Thinking about using them to prevent swallowing dead or cut bait.  We release most pike over 30 inches, and thinking the circles might mean they are hooked in the corner of the mouth, rather than swallowed.

Ted

Offline Martian

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 07, 2016, 09:17 AM »
 we use 3/0, and prolly could get by with smaller, but it is true, most of our hook sets are in the corner of the mouth, and if they do go down farther, it is in that webbing stuff , near their throat, but can sometimes easily get dislodged by going through the gills. take the leader off, go in through fills w/ hemos, and oull out through gills

Offline Yukoner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Mar 12, 2016, 12:48 AM »
Well, 4/0 s have been working on dead sticks with small frozen smelts.  Going again tomorrow, and will try to get some pictures of how the fish are hooked.

Ted

Offline meatman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Aug 16, 2016, 06:26 PM »
4/0

Offline saxmatt

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Aug 23, 2016, 11:10 PM »
Thinking about using them to prevent swallowing dead or cut bait.  We release most pike over 30 inches, and thinking the circles might mean they are hooked in the corner of the mouth, rather than swallowed.

Ted

It's great that you're you're thinking about the pike's safety. I've seen so many pike on the ice that swallow treble hooks, circle hooks etc because sometimes you just don't get to the flag on time. That being said iv'e experimented with circles and you'll definitely miss fish. I'f the fish isn't running, changes direction, or wraps the line around weeds you won't get a good hookset and they'll spit the bait. I recommend a single 3/0-5/0 Octopus or J hook.

If they swallow it here's a trick to unhook them and it's easy with some practice: carefully go in between the gill plate and gills with a pair of long pliers or your fingers and pull the leader material out through the gills, just make sure the line isn't in between the gills. Pull the leader towards the tail and the hook should rotate out of the pike's stomach so the bend of the hook is visable. After that use some jaw spreaders and a long pair of pliers and the hook should pop right out.

Offline Saskassasin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Oct 07, 2016, 07:30 PM »
If you are going to use circle hooks to help prevent gut hooking make sure that you use inline circle hooks,........... not offset or kirbed hooks, those types wont prevent guthooking

Offline Open-Handed Fish Slap

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 08, 2016, 05:41 AM »
If you are going to use circle hooks to help prevent gut hooking make sure that you use inline circle hooks, not offset or kirbed hooks, those types wont prevent guthooking

100% agree, plus inline has a much higher hookup rate in my opinion.  3/0-5/0 , depending on bait size.  I like using circles 1. Because the fish is hooked in the corner of the mouth 99% of the time 2. Because everyone else hates them and complains about them and I have no different of a hookup rate than any of the guys I'm fishing with that refuse to try them 3.  Because trebles are a pain in the @$$
It's like tailgating with the possibility of catching a fish!

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē F˙Sh
« Reply #11 on: Dec 09, 2016, 10:54 AM »
.  Because trebles are a pain in the @$$

word!

Offline mountana

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 16, 2016, 09:21 PM »
 :)

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #13 on: Dec 16, 2016, 09:42 PM »
I have actually used circles for pike but abandoned them. The premise is great and sometimes I'd get pike to the hole that were hooked neatly in the corner of the mouth (as advertised). More often, unfortunately, I'd be cut off (experimenting with plastic leader) or uncharacteristically deeply hooked.

My take is this: I believe that all the "other teeth", think tongues and mouth roofs misdirect the angle of the line and all too often that hook winds up where you have not planned it to be. You get cut off or deeply hooked fish and wonder what the hedoublehockeysticks happened.

If you must, there is good advice here. Make sure the hook is not kirbed or offset, A straight circle works best. Gap size is usually much bigger than you would "normally" consider, think at least 5/0 or 6/0. Look at the distance between the point and the shank. If there is enough room for a good pike to get hooked up you're OK.

Personally, I have returned to smaller, extra strong trebles and am very comfortable with snaking out any deeply hooked tackle. It's really easier on the fish and easier for me.

2 cents..... pay the Man Shirley!
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Dec 17, 2016, 02:33 PM »
I have actually used circles for pike but abandoned them. The premise is great and sometimes I'd get pike to the hole that were hooked neatly in the corner of the mouth (as advertised). More often, unfortunately, I'd be cut off (experimenting with plastic leader) or uncharacteristically deeply hooked.

My take is this: I believe that all the "other teeth", think tongues and mouth roofs misdirect the angle of the line and all too often that hook winds up where you have not planned it to be. You get cut off or deeply hooked fish and wonder what the hedoublehockeysticks happened.

If you must, there is good advice here. Make sure the hook is not kirbed or offset, A straight circle works best. Gap size is usually much bigger than you would "normally" consider, think at least 5/0 or 6/0. Look at the distance between the point and the shank. If there is enough room for a good pike to get hooked up you're OK.

Personally, I have returned to smaller, extra strong trebles and am very comfortable with snaking out any deeply hooked tackle. It's really easier on the fish and easier for me.

2 cents..... pay the Man Shirley!

That is how I see it as well. I do keep a lot of pike since I enjoy eating them, and I have found some odd things in the stomachs of very healthy pike. Whole crankbaits, bass jigs, jig heads, treble hooks, rocks, pieces of hard plastic, soft plastic lures... you name it. Pike actually have very large stomachs, plenty large enough to swallow a treble hook and survive until the hooks rust.

Please though, any hook that you use for fresh water be sure that it is not "saltwater approved". Galvanized coatings will keep the hook from rusting away quickly if you do lose a hook to a fish (be it a bite off or a swallowed hook).

If anyone was wondering, seems most of the time when a pike bites you off he swallows the bait. Had two pike bite off 20# leaders before I could even get to the tipups last year and then caught them later in the day. When cleaning them the whole treble and shiner was in the stomach.

EYECONICFISHING

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.