Author Topic: Deepest Pike you've caught?  (Read 1515 times)

Offline mike1

• Team IceShanty Regular
Deepest Pike you've caught?
« on: Jan 04, 2013, 06:17 PM »
Just wondering what the deepest water people catch Pike in is?  Does anybody target Pike in deep water? maybe +35fow

Offline eplindstrom

• IceShanty Rookie
  • If this boat is rocking you have a serious problem
Re: Deepest Pike you've caught?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 04, 2013, 08:24 PM »
I just caught one in 23 ft of water 2 hours after dark. Is this supposta happen????? Never happened to me before

Offline tt350z

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 05, 2013, 01:23 AM »
My lake's deepest part is only 26 FOW, but i dont even know where it's at.

The deepest i've found and caught pike is around the 20 FOW mark.

Offline oregonsonlyiceaholic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 05, 2013, 01:33 AM »
35 fow with a medium sucker about a foot off the bottom. Tried deeper but no results.   
Formally Simmy_04548 from Georgetown Maine..

Offline BCice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 05, 2013, 08:58 AM »
 Depends on the lake. A lake near me has super clear water. Max depth is 110 feet. It has a very good smelt population. They also plant a few Lake Trout and various other trout sometimes. The cabbage weeds grow out to about 20 feet and the sand grass out to about 43 feet. Beyond that no weeds that I know of. We catch the majority of our fish in the 20' to 43' feet range at that magic 1- 2 hour span just after sun up and before sun down. I've heard of guys catching them out in 70' of water fishing for Lake Trout but never have myself but probably true as I've caught perch out there, too.
 I'm sure lakes that have a smelt, Cisco, or Whitefish population would be a good deep water pike lake. Suckers and perch go out to the depths, too. It's a little difficult to fish that deep for obvious reasons and the basin area has pretty much no structure. But if you have a good drop off, rock pile or point or something to hold/concentrate fish and food out there I'll bet it would be worth checking out. Good luck
Ron

Offline mike1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 05, 2013, 04:05 PM »
That's what my thinking was, we catch yellow/white Perch in 35-50 fow, might give it a try in a couple of weeks

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.