Author Topic: bacon grease  (Read 6214 times)

Offline falbinki

• Team IceShanty Regular
bacon grease
« on: Feb 18, 2006, 03:49 PM »
anyone evr tried frying your fish in bacon grease instead of vegetable oil? it is out of this world. just season the filets with your favorite seasonings. fry 1lb. of bacon in a pan. discard bacon and fry the filets in the grease.. sure it's not to good for the old ticker, but the taste is out of this world.

hali-man

Re: bacon grease
« Reply #1 on: Feb 18, 2006, 04:13 PM »
Mmm, bacon! I agree that fish (or anything else) is good fried in it's grease, but why would you discard it?

grumpymoe

« Reply #2 on: Feb 18, 2006, 05:20 PM »
no need to discard bacon.....one of the lodges that I did a little guiding for a few years ago, used nothing but 1lb packages of lard for our fly-in outings......you cannot beat the taste of fresh fish and potatoes fried up on an open fire in lard.....yes...its hard on the ticker, but for those of us with lucky genes its a lifelong bonus....one of my buds guides over 100 trips a summer and does not worry about the constant meals of high cholesterol....some can handle it...some cannot....enjoy the moment....Grump

Offline falbinki

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 19, 2006, 02:19 AM »
yeah true hali. why discard the bacon ??? ???

billybono

« Reply #4 on: Feb 19, 2006, 09:58 AM »
yes...its hard on the ticker

hey every well running machine needs a little oil  ;D ;D ;D ;D

billybono

Offline PERCH_INC.

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • THROW THE LITTLE ONES BACK
« Reply #5 on: Feb 19, 2006, 10:07 AM »
Every thing tastes better cooked in Bacon grease!!  :tipup:
MONSTER PERCH RULE ! !  

Offline fishercat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hard water or soft water just let me fish
« Reply #6 on: Feb 19, 2006, 01:00 PM »
Pork fat RULES  :bow:

Offline qflies001

• IceShanty Rookie
  • fish on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: Feb 20, 2006, 12:33 PM »
Bacon grease with fried potatoes yummm  yummmm  ...................... ..................fell tha arteries harden heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeheee eeeeeeeeeeee heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeee

Offline cold_feet

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice is Cool!!
« Reply #8 on: Feb 20, 2006, 05:38 PM »
my all time favorite is a Hot salad made with hot bacon greese a little vinager and sugar mixed. Pour it hot over a nice salad of lettuce, onions the bacon bits  and whatever else you want. Sure it will stop the clock but way too good to not eat this one.
Cold Feet

Offline coldbum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 21, 2006, 06:25 AM »
Nothing better than waking up next to an Adirondack Trout pond in late spring... getting a fire roaring... fry up some bacon.. (dont discard it eat it... PORK FAT RULES)  then the really yum starts... gut some brookies flour (head on) and fry in the bacon grease! Get the eggs ready and you have one heck of a shore breakfast :)

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #10 on: Feb 23, 2006, 07:26 PM »
A Family tradition..We have a container in the freezer that houses our left over bacon grease. Whenever we have bacon we just add the grease to our collection

I love to fry fish init. I usually use a good once or twice around the pan with oil then add a couple tablespoons of the bacon grease for flavour. cant beat it

Offline Higgy

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fishin' and Grinnin'
« Reply #11 on: Sep 03, 2006, 03:56 PM »
When I was a kid I always fried my little brookies in fat from salt pork. Awesome!
Live Free or Die! Ayuh, LOVE NH!

Offline bear

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Sep 06, 2006, 08:56 AM »
I use bacon grease when I bake cornbread. Grease the pan or cast iron skillet with it before you add the batter. It has a great flavor. bear

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Sep 06, 2006, 08:01 PM »
Pork fat is good for you! ::)

Just ask my Dad, he swears his heart is bad from working too hard. ;D

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #14 on: Sep 07, 2006, 11:05 AM »
homefried potatoes too!! nothing better than bacon grease  ;)

Offline C.C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • DO NOT BE AFRAID !!!!
« Reply #15 on: Sep 07, 2006, 01:57 PM »
Just like Emeril says  "PORK FAT RULES"

Offline icy mike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nope!
« Reply #16 on: Oct 13, 2006, 04:42 PM »
next time you make chili, brown your beef in bacon grease.  Oh yeah, babe!  Chop up some of the bacon as well and toss it in.  But don't forget a tablespoon of Chipotle (smoked jalapenos) powder.  Then stand down wind of everyone :D!

Offline perchnut

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to catch those fatties....
« Reply #17 on: Oct 13, 2006, 08:28 PM »
IM, i made my own chipolte's 3 years ago.   I had a bumper crop of jalapeno peppers so I smoked a ton of them. I still have them in my freezer, and they are just as hot as ever....wowza...

Offline icy mike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nope!
« Reply #18 on: Oct 14, 2006, 11:20 PM »
 :oI :oLOVE :oIT :oHOT :o  I wish I could grow them up here but the climate is not right unless you use a greenhouse.  Hopefully I'll be able to build one some time in the next few years.  Until then I take advantage of my sister.  She lives in New Mexico and keeps my supply levels in check :D!

Offline Fishback

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I-I-I-I-I-I-I-CE!!!!
« Reply #19 on: Dec 05, 2006, 02:42 PM »
Here's a story about bacon grease for you fellas.

Last year i headed up to lake Winnipesaukee in NH for their annual fishing ice fishing derby. My friend shane and i stay in our houses from Wednesday--->Friday, then when the rest of the crew comes up we all get hotel rooms.
  Well, i make my way up to the lake around early afternoon on Wednesday. After a couple of hours of preparing things and setting up base camp, my friend shane arrives. So i reach into the half drilled whole to grab him an ice cold Tuckerman's brew. I grab it and hand it to him and the thing slides right out of hand and lands on the ice. We both look at each other a bit confused. He picks it up and there is this unusual lard looking substance all over it. We think nothing of it and begin to enjoy the sunshine and a beer.
    After about 3 hours of relaxing and shooting the breeze, we decide to take the machines over to shore and hoof it to a local bar. We have a bite to eat and a beer or two and decide it's time to go back and get the cusk lines ready. Vrrrrooooom back to base camp. Set up the cusk lines, drillem, set'em and forget'em. Blah blah blah, and it's time for bed.
    So i get my little heater going in my portable, which I'll be sleeping in, and sit by the fire for a while.  Then the calamity starts. I reach down, and unbuckle my boots. Put one hand on my toe and one hand on my heel and pull. My left hand slides off and WHAM right in the face!! WHAT THE @#$%.  MY HANDS ARE COVERD IN THIS MYSTERY SUBSTANCE.  So are my boots, my pants, my portable, my flasher, my fourwheeler.....EVERYT HING!!!!!
     It turns out that when i arrived earlier that day, I had chosen to erect my basecamp on the exact spot that we dump our bacon fat from our Egg McMitchells week after week!!! I didnt notice it when I got there because there was ice over it and it was totally covered. But it had wamed up a bit and all the traffic from the two of us had exposed it. And beleive me, it was EVERYWHERE! It made it impossible. And for all you who know bacon fat, it isn't exactly the easiest to clean up after.
     I was cleaning my garage 2 weeks ago and was messing around with some of my gear and there was still bacon fat on my heater and some spots on my portable bobhouse too!

Lesson: Respect the power of bacon fat. Because it does not respect you! Be careful out there fellas.

Thanks for letting me share. Go get'em

Offline Meatro14

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Dec 05, 2006, 07:26 PM »
id still eat the bacon...i love my bacon

Offline Holewatcher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • in a trance watching the flag
« Reply #21 on: Dec 06, 2006, 07:08 AM »
 :o The health experts say all fat is bad for you, if that is true the old folks out there should have died yers ago. My parents and grand parents all where country folks and breakfast (5:00AM) consisted of anything and everything, and afterwards they threw a sheet over the table and at lunch you had leftovers. Supper was something that would stick to your ribs and last you untill breakfast, and they all are still living and i'm 60.
I need to go to the bathroom, but it might flip up if I go.

Offline Fishback

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I-I-I-I-I-I-I-CE!!!!
« Reply #22 on: Dec 06, 2006, 07:20 AM »
Much like all of you, my love for the taste of bacon fat remains undiminished. But unfortunately my fear of bacon fat is crippling. Smear congealed bacon fat on a hammer and then try building something! Just make sure your insurance is current and there's no one else around.

Offline BAZOOKAJOE

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Dec 06, 2006, 06:35 PM »
Never underestimate the power of the swine!!   ;)

Offline HiRanger

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Jigin' My Stix in 2007! St. Helen Iceman
« Reply #24 on: Dec 08, 2006, 11:43 PM »
The only thing better than eatin' a pound of bacon, is havin' 2 pounds.
Zymurgy's First Law of Evolving Systems Dynamics
Once you open a can of worms, the only way to recan them is to use a larger can.

We do not stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing. Never Be The First To Get Old!!!!!

Offline habaneromoon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Feb 07, 2007, 03:39 PM »
hey im with all of you on the bacon and the bacon fat but the true godfather of cooking fat is duck fat ;)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.