Author Topic: drop shot tip up  (Read 2345 times)

Offline williev18

• Team IceShanty Regular
drop shot tip up
« on: Dec 22, 2013, 10:59 AM »
OK so I know the idea of the drop shot is to stir up the bottom while jigging. However during the summer I spend quite a lot of time tight lining a drop shot rig with a live crawler on it. I was wondering if any one has tried this on a tip up. Not to mention I'm thinking this cold save the whole sound hole, bait hook, freeze hands, repeat set up. Just set you hook one foot over sinker drop to bottom and wait.

Offline Ice-D

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: drop shot tip up
« Reply #1 on: Dec 22, 2013, 03:11 PM »
I've never tried it on tip ups, but I use it on my tip downs.  It works pretty good with minnows for crappie.  I don't know why it wouldn't work with tip ups.

Offline c07pernice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 22, 2013, 03:14 PM »
How would you hook your minnow?

Offline williev18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 22, 2013, 05:26 PM »
If I use the drop shot hooks I use in the summer most likely through the lips. But I was also considering a swivel and short leader so the minnow can swim around a little.

Offline Ice-D

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 22, 2013, 05:40 PM »
How would you hook your minnow?

I hook mine behind the dorsal fin.  I use a small aberdeen hook tied so it stands out straight with the hook point up.

Offline bowmandan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 22, 2013, 06:36 PM »
I use crappie rigs under my tip ups. Drop the sinker on the bottom and set flag.

Offline williev18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 22, 2013, 07:24 PM »
well sounds like I might need to rig up a few to try while im waiting for the warm weather to break again.

Offline spudsaway

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 23, 2013, 02:00 PM »
Well I guess it is Drop shot.. Big Bell  sinker 10 feet threeway swivel three foot leader hook on minnow 10 feet up repeat , 10 feet up repeat , 10 feet up repeat .. This goes under Tip up in deep water..

Leave alone jig nearby with big Williams ...

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 23, 2013, 03:48 PM »
Keep in mind that once you pick up the tip-up and start bouncing the weight on the bottom you have turned the tip-up into a jigging rod.
(That how the law will see it depending on the regulations in your area.)

When I fish in NH, and I'm fishing "the big lake" where you are allowed 2 lines/tip-ups, you are also allowed 6 cucks traps.
That means you can have 8 lines in the water, but the 6 cusk lines are stationary lines that must remain on the bottom unless you are checking your line/bait. If a game warden sees you put out 2 tip-ups or a tip-up and a jigging rod and then you start "jigging" the cusk line you will paid a visit and then you will pay the state fine because you effectively turned a stationary rig into a jigging rig, in excess of the lake limit.

Just a heads-up to prevent any possible hassles down the line....
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline williev18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 23, 2013, 04:43 PM »
On the CT river I only get 6 lines regardless of type, and on VT waters I get 8. Wasn't realy planning on jigging the line more just thinking doing a drop type rig would save a lot of time sounding holes. With my 2 boys and myself on vt waters we get 24 lines (32 if grampa comes), that can take a lot of effort sounding each hole. With the hook set 12-18" over the sinker I could just bait, drop, set and repeat. Sounds like some guys are doing this so I'm going to try rigging up 6 or so and see what happens.  ;D

Offline c07pernice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 23, 2013, 08:35 PM »
Sounds like reinventing the wheel. Iv changed a lot of things on my tip ups over the years including hooks, lines, beads, spinners, double hooks with multie minnows, quick strike rigs, adding split shot etc. I always thought someone was going to outshine another

Now, I have realized a fluorocarbon leader with a small treble hook works best or better then anything else. They are use to finding minnows the MAIN thing I have found that consistently puts up fish in numbers and of large size is LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION

The only thing that solves this is putting a lot of time finding good areas and findig a way to mark or remember them

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.