Author Topic: Clam v Otter  (Read 1046 times)

Offline Forrealyo11

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Got 'Em
Clam v Otter
« on: Oct 24, 2016, 12:45 PM »
Getting a few new shelters this season and after reading many reviews they both seem to be good products.  Wanted yall's feedback?  Any recommendations?  Thanks guys.  Looking forward to getting on the ice - possibly this week with these temps and a few lakes already being frozen for a week already.

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Clam v Otter
« Reply #1 on: Oct 24, 2016, 01:12 PM »
 i would say there's no comparison, otter all the way.  never been a fan of anything clam other than the drill plate.  i have a frabill trekker 2 dlx and it's been great.

Kyle_J

« Reply #2 on: Oct 24, 2016, 01:45 PM »
My vote goes to otter all the way no doubt about it.

Offline holehopper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Me and Dave Genz
« Reply #3 on: Oct 24, 2016, 04:53 PM »
If $$ aren't a consideration or weight of the shack, I would definitely go with Otter.  They are more expensive and can be pretty heavy but they are built really well. 
Never Stop Never Stopping

Offline perch_stalker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Oct 24, 2016, 06:00 PM »
I was in the market this year for a new shack as well. Debated on clam vs otter, and after much deliberation and reading reviews, I decided to get the otter. Couldn't be happier with it. Although I haven't had it out on the ice yet, I got it all set up and ready, and it's super great quality and very warm! Otter all the way for me!

Offline dairyman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Oct 24, 2016, 07:58 PM »
I've had both and it's "OTTER" for sure.  I've got the hideout and really like it

Offline Forrealyo11

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Got 'Em
« Reply #6 on: Oct 24, 2016, 10:32 PM »
Thanks for all the feedback guys.  I think it's pretty obvious what I need to go with.  MUCH appreciated!

Offline smelloftrout

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Oct 25, 2016, 01:10 PM »
A few years back I bought the otter resort. I pull it behind my snow machine and so far it's been good. I blew the bottom out of a regular otter sled one other time on my trapline so I bolted a sheet of uhmw on the bottom of my flip over just to beef it up a little. Also I fabbed up the tongue on mine to help keep snow from getting in the sled while being pulled. One thing about the resort (being the biggest of them) is its semi difficult to setup by 1 person. Holds heat well.

I have no personal experience with a clam so can't give any personal experiences.  Talking with people from the Midwest that have used them mentioned the sled is a bit brittle being towed behind snow machines. After breaking the bottom out of that otter before and hearing this is why I planned to beef up the bottom no matter which one I went with.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.