Author Topic: The new lake Louise 2015/2016 reports thread  (Read 8503 times)

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
The new lake Louise 2015/2016 reports thread
« on: Jan 24, 2016, 09:08 PM »
Wow I go fishing for a week and everyone freaks out.  The trail is looking good no overflow to speak of.  The north end of Susitna is pretty drifted up so be careful if your up that way.  The Cameron cove trail has some pretty bad ruts on it from people in trucks so be careful.  What's real scary is someone drove a truck all the way to the mouth of the Tyone river very very dangerous.  I know the last thread got deleated so I won't beat it to death but I would like to ask everyone to please be respectful of the land and other user groups.  Sorry if I offended anyone with the last thread I was a little upset and should have calmed down a bit before I posted.  O and people are netting whitefish in Larson bay so if your in the area keep an eye on them and call the troopers if you see something illegal.  Hope everyone is having a good season and see you on the ice.
I was born an Alaskan I just didn't live here at the time.

Offline Bushwhack Jack

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: The new lake Louise 2015/2016 reports thread
« Reply #1 on: Jan 24, 2016, 10:22 PM »
Hey AKhardwater.  Glad to hear you are back.  How did the fishing go? 

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 24, 2016, 10:48 PM »
Fishing was decent I'm hoping to head back up Tuesday if I can get my heater fixed.  No giants  this trip, I'm kind of pissed I'm missing this full moon it was shaping up to be a real good 2 week trip. Oh well maybe next time.

Offline twigg589

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 27, 2016, 01:11 PM »
Gents and Ladies,

I'm still new to fishing for lake trout and I'm looking to head out this weekend. Any pointers on what depth I should be aiming for right now?

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Jan 27, 2016, 05:17 PM »
I always like to start around 40 feet and if nothing is going on try shallower and deeper.
Seem to always have luck doing that for some reason.
Maybe it's just how our lakers here in the NWT roll.
???

Offline twigg589

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 28, 2016, 10:20 AM »
I always like to start around 40 feet and if nothing is going on try shallower and deeper.
Seem to always have luck doing that for some reason.
Maybe it's just how our lakers here in the NWT roll.
???

Thank you for the assistance. I'll be sure to post how we did!

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 01, 2016, 05:06 PM »
Hey everyone John up at the lodge is asking for our help.  Apparently he confronted a truck that was trying to get off the lake through the lodge parking lot.  After he politely informed the individual that the lodge is private property and that they need to use the public access the individual flipped off John and did a burnout all the way through the parking lot and up the hill.  John described the truck to me as a black 4 door Chevy with a bunch of stickers all over the back window.  One of the stickers read " keep calm and hunt on " whatever that means.  So if anybody sees this truck driving around town or up at the lake try to get a pic of the license plate and the stickers and send it to me or John.  Thanks for the help everyone.

Offline Bushwhack Jack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 01, 2016, 08:48 PM »
Hey everyone John up at the lodge is asking for our help.  Apparently he confronted a truck that was trying to get off the lake through the lodge parking lot.  After he politely informed the individual that the lodge is private property and that they need to use the public access the individual flipped off John and did a burnout all the way through the parking lot and up the hill.  John described the truck to me as a black 4 door Chevy with a bunch of stickers all over the back window.  One of the stickers read " keep calm and hunt on " whatever that means.  So if anybody sees this truck driving around town or up at the lake try to get a pic of the license plate and the stickers and send it to me or John.  Thanks for the help everyone.

Thanks for the head's up Akhardwater.  I'll definitely keep an eye out for this prick.  Man, what a jerk.  John is one of the nicest guys I know.  That really tick's me off.  Someday that guy will really regret it.  John is always so helpful and a good guy to know out there.  I hope he gets a flat or needs to borrow a tool for a repair sometime when he's out there.  Then the last laugh will be John's because John is always there to help others out.  And John is actually nice enough that he'd probably help the guy out even though he doesn't deserve it. 

If anyone recognizes the description please, please also call 911 and make a reddi report for reckless driving and trespassing. 

Thanks,
Bushwhack Jack

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 01, 2016, 09:15 PM »
John is going to file a report we just need to get him the info.  I love John he is the nicest guy in the world and will always help wether they deserve it or not.  I always try and support the lodge whenever possible it's hard to make a living out there and his presence there has been lifesaving for some.

Offline Bushwhack Jack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 07, 2016, 12:35 AM »
I heard some knucklehead got his truck stuck out on the lake today.  Hopefully he learned his lesson.

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 07, 2016, 02:30 AM »
I hope he didn't tear up the trail getting it out, the sweetheart poker run is next weakend.  Has anyone heard if they are doing prime rib sat night.  I'd like to go up for that but I don't think my heater will be fixed by then. 

Offline jiggenfrogs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Feb 07, 2016, 12:15 PM »
I heard some knucklehead got his truck stuck out on the lake today.  Hopefully he learned his lesson.
I think the rear end went through,  Jon sent me a text last night that a truck went through the ice.  Some one he asked to stay off the trails and advised not to drive on the lake.  Didn't listen and from what I can gather no locals are helping them out.  A camp owner rolled a sled the other day in a truck rut...I don't see any locals lending a hand.   It is not just rutting the trails up, The lake has methane holes and areas of the lake are not safe.  Water moves over shallow ridges and will create thin ice all over the lake.  I had a buddy put his sled through 10' from my shack in 3' of water at -30 about 5 years back.  The hole was about 15' around.  It was in February and over two feet of ice on most of the lake. 
If you wantah be a fishah you gotah smoke a swishah!

Offline jiggenfrogs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Feb 07, 2016, 12:44 PM »
Yup, saw the pictures back end of truck is froze in the lake.  About three feet of water, don't look like fun that's for sure.

Offline kwackkillncrew

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 07, 2016, 01:37 PM »
How many times did we (the terrible people on ice shanty) tell them it's not smart to do...  I would like to see them pictures!
I will never be a "Prostaffer" because I dont pimp products fo free

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 07, 2016, 02:01 PM »
We should post them on their Spacebook page.  I hope it was the guy that flipped off John and did a burnout in his parking lot.  Jiggenfrogs can you post picks of the truck I'm really curious if it is the same individual.

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Feb 07, 2016, 02:08 PM »
We should post them on their Spacebook page.  I hope it was the guy that flipped off John and did a burnout in his parking lot.  Jiggenfrogs can you post picks of the truck I'm really curious if it is the same individual.

Yes, pics are needed!!!   ;D

Offline jkw

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Dont Forget The Beer!
« Reply #16 on: Feb 07, 2016, 02:14 PM »
They had plenty of warning........ screw em. I'm glad the locals aren't helping.  Hopefully it will be a lesson others can learn to respect. 
TEAM ALASKA          :bow: Pray For Ice! :icefish:

Its better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it!

Offline DannerAK

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Feb 07, 2016, 02:33 PM »
Funny how none of the ice fishing groups on spacebook are talking about this. 

Offline jiggenfrogs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Feb 07, 2016, 03:14 PM »
First time the guy has been on the lake.  Should of taken the advice .

Offline jkw

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Dont Forget The Beer!
« Reply #19 on: Feb 07, 2016, 05:16 PM »
Funny how none of the ice fishing groups on spacebook are talking about this. 

It keeps getting deleted by that dipcrap whitefisher

Offline Bushwhack Jack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 07, 2016, 05:20 PM »

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Feb 07, 2016, 05:34 PM »
Pics up on the lake louise snowmachine club Facebook page as well... looks like it's froze in pretty good

Offline jkw

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Dont Forget The Beer!
« Reply #22 on: Feb 07, 2016, 05:41 PM »

Offline Bushwhack Jack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Feb 07, 2016, 10:16 PM »
Hey AKhardwater,

Could this black truck that is stuck in the ice be the same black truck that flipped off John and did a burnout in the parking lot?

Offline kwackkillncrew

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Feb 07, 2016, 11:14 PM »
What's wrong with the winter fishery when people handle the fish and the lake respectfully.  I would hope your not just trollin for an argument since that's how the last thread got deleted.  I mean the site is called ice shanty so I would guess most people here would probably disagree with shutting down the winter fishery
I will never be a "Prostaffer" because I dont pimp products fo free

Offline jiggenfrogs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Feb 08, 2016, 12:08 AM »
I honestly wouldn't mind seeing it shut down seen too many gut and cut .... not down with the situation.  I'ts about the lake not the site
Its about getting out, enjoying the outdoors, maybe by yourself or taking the family...raising your kids, showing them how to fish.  Shutting down the lake because of a few dipcraps is a joke ???

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Feb 08, 2016, 01:50 AM »
We talked about this last year and I think that through carefull management we could stay away from closing the winter fishery.  FanG feels that catch and release mortality rates are highest in the winter and to "save the fishery" they think shutting it down during the winter is the solution.  Now I spent a little time ready some different CR mortality studies and from what I gathered the highest rates ocured during the spawn.  It only makes sense, a fish during the spawn is already going to be stressed because of spawning and then you hookem fightem and release them only to die from shock a little while later.  Winter was the next highest rate especially towards the end of winter when oxygen levels drop.  Obviously exposing a fish to bitter cold is bad but if you are careful and fast the fish can be released relatively unharmed.  I feel like shutting down ALL fishing in September and October is pretty much a no  brainer.  They shut down all flowing waters for rainbow spawning why can't we do the same for the lakers.  I know enforcement costs money blah blah blah but why not have a laker stamp.  I would gladly pay 10 bucks a year to support laker management.  Also how about no retention of burbot in March and April and barbless hooks year round.  We might as well go to no bait while we're at it, that would eliminate guys running tipups and dead sticks foul hooking fish.  And yes I run dead sticks and tipups so in a way I'm a hypocrite, I monitor my gear as close as possible but still end up foul hooking a few fish.  Some of these ideas might sound radical but it order to keep up with the added pressure some of these changes need to occur if we are going to keep the winter fishery.  As always these are just my opinions and I encourage feedback positive and negative.

Offline akfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Feb 08, 2016, 09:51 AM »
100% Agree

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #28 on: Feb 08, 2016, 09:52 AM »
We talked about this last year and I think that through carefull management we could stay away from closing the winter fishery.  FanG feels that catch and release mortality rates are highest in the winter and to "save the fishery" they think shutting it down during the winter is the solution.  Now I spent a little time ready some different CR mortality studies and from what I gathered the highest rates ocured during the spawn.  It only makes sense, a fish during the spawn is already going to be stressed because of spawning and then you hookem fightem and release them only to die from shock a little while later.  Winter was the next highest rate especially towards the end of winter when oxygen levels drop.  Obviously exposing a fish to bitter cold is bad but if you are careful and fast the fish can be released relatively unharmed.  I feel like shutting down ALL fishing in September and October is pretty much a no  brainer. They shut down all flowing waters for rainbow spawning why can't we do the same for the lakers.  I know enforcement costs money blah blah blah but why not have a laker stamp.  I would gladly pay 10 bucks a year to support laker management.  Also how about no retention of burbot in March and April and barbless hooks year round.  We might as well go to no bait while we're at it, that would eliminate guys running tipups and dead sticks foul hooking fish.  And yes I run dead sticks and tipups so in a way I'm a hypocrite, I monitor my gear as close as possible but still end up foul hooking a few fish.  Some of these ideas might sound radical but it order to keep up with the added pressure some of these changes need to occur if we are going to keep the winter fishery.  As always these are just my opinions and I encourage feedback positive and negative.

Our road accessible lake trout fisheries have special regs.
One fish limit and no retention Sept. 1st to Oct. 31st.
Non road accessible lakes are a 5 limit (unless specified) and no closed season.
We are 100% barbless here too.
Also no live bait is allowed, dead bait is however.
We are allowed 2 lines in the winter and no set lines like y'all use for burbot.
The regs state you must be in close contact with your lines. Which means it is unlawful to leave them unattended.

Offline Yukoner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Feb 08, 2016, 12:04 PM »
Essentially the same here, Drifter, except no lakes have limit greater than three lake trout.

Ted

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.