Author Topic: How to Improve the Tip-Up?? Need your input ASAP!  (Read 4733 times)

Offline markduffy13

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: How to Improve the Tip-Up?? Need your input ASAP!
« Reply #30 on: Feb 11, 2021, 11:36 AM »
better hook setting.  and maybe adjustable hook setting, for fishing different depths and targets.

Offline dogfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Walk softly and carry a big gaff
« Reply #31 on: Feb 11, 2021, 11:46 AM »
Making something more complicated is not necessarily an improvement.  A tip up is a ridged structure,spool, line and signal device that works in a harsh environment.  make it simpler than that and still functionable and you my friend have a winner!!
When the going gets weird the weird turn pro.

Offline offshoredrilling

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Feb 11, 2021, 01:47 PM »
There isn't a one size fits all tip-up out there, which is why there are so many different designs. You don't musky fish in open water with a panfish rod and vice versa. A rail style beaver dam tip up is what id consider the gold standard for a do all tip up.

A few things I think could be optimized:
-more adjustment in trip sensitivity that gets repeatable results.
-Reduce accidental wind trips.
-Better visual/audible cue for trips.
-Keeping the hole free of ice. Something like a small, quiet, built in aerator powered by a rechargeable battery would work great. If 6-8hrs of run time could be achieved, that would be adequate for most people.
-a bottle opener for my beer

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Feb 11, 2021, 02:10 PM »
A better gasket / washer style gadget to keep water from capillary action from sucking up the bottom of the shaft. That’s why they freeze. 

Offline lundin-loading

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Feb 11, 2021, 02:15 PM »
The fishing rod style tip ups like finicky foolers and i-fish pro are where its at. Come up with something new and innovative in that avenue. Traditional tipups are hard to improve on.

Offline Rippin_Lips7

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ripping Lips and Drinking Busch
« Reply #35 on: Feb 11, 2021, 02:20 PM »
To all the haters out there giving this guy crap….I have been in his shoes before. I am a mechanical engineer and I can almost guarantee this guy is an ice fisherman and a part of his project is to utilize online threads. In my college projects, my professors would encourage or require me to reach out to the general public for ideas/opinions. He is using this forum as a focus group which is a great idea.

With that said, I really like the follow ideas:
•   Body Improvements
      o   Lightweight
      o   High Temp Plastic
      o   Built in heating wires, similar to heating socks for hunting
      o   Collapsible for storage
                Either sliding or folding
      o   Expandable shaft for deeper ice
                Protects line from hitting edge of hole, causing drag
•   Flag Improvements
      o   Expandable flag for deep snow
      o   Built in light with tilt switch and/or bells (gives you 3 options)
      o   Reflective flag material

Good luck on your project! PM me if you want to discuss anything else. I have a bad habit of inventing things (usually hunting or fishing related), making protypes that work, but then not following through on production/selling.
_______________  ┊  __________      
                             ┊        
                             ┊
¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((º>

<º))))>< ¸.·´¯`·.¸

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Feb 11, 2021, 02:45 PM »
To all the haters out there giving this guy crap….I have been in his shoes before. I am a mechanical engineer and I can almost guarantee this guy is an ice fisherman and a part of his project is to utilize online threads. In my college projects, my professors would encourage or require me to reach out to the general public for ideas/opinions. He is using this forum as a focus group which is a great idea.

With that said, I really like the follow ideas:
•   Body Improvements
      o   Lightweight
      o   High Temp Plastic
      o   Built in heating wires, similar to heating socks for hunting
      o   Collapsible for storage
                Either sliding or folding
      o   Expandable shaft for deeper ice
                Protects line from hitting edge of hole, causing drag
•   Flag Improvements
      o   Expandable flag for deep snow
      o   Built in light with tilt switch and/or bells (gives you 3 options)
      o   Reflective flag material

Good luck on your project! PM me if you want to discuss anything else. I have a bad habit of inventing things (usually hunting or fishing related), making protypes that work, but then not following through on production/selling.

She not he....
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Feb 11, 2021, 03:09 PM »
She not he....

LMAO,  ;D. OK, we are gender neutral here so go ahead and make it PINK if that floats her boat! My wife has directed me to invent her ideas of kitchen gadgets so I applaud Livvey for crossing over into what many think is a man's game. You Go Girl!
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline walleyechobs

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Feb 11, 2021, 04:23 PM »
built in hook treble hook holder

Offline Salmonquest

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "I once killed a gopher with a stick"
« Reply #39 on: Feb 12, 2021, 08:05 AM »
What ever happened to doing research..buy a bunch of traps and spend time analyzing them.. maybe then you'll figure out what many of us already know and have done to improve them.. good luck in your studies.

How miserable do you have to be to post this? This is literally an important type of research. Reaching out to users to get more feedback. This is away to have access to more information and experience than one person can gather by themselves.

I feel bad for you.

Offline Salmonquest

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Feb 12, 2021, 08:07 AM »
That would require getting out of the chair once you've ordered the tipups online and had them delivered to your door. Instead he should set up a Zoom meeting with some fishing tackle reps who could give him their spiels and then he could tinker with the designs virtually of course. Once he has solved all the issues he can whip up a prototype on a 3d printer and present it to the professor. No sense wasting time by actually ice fishing at any point.

yeah you kids get off my lawn!! Have you ever looked on this site for ideas??? Why don't you just solve it yourself?

Man so many hateful people on these posts. Feel bad for you man.

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Feb 12, 2021, 08:43 AM »
yeah you kids get off my lawn!! Have you ever looked on this site for ideas??? Why don't you just solve it yourself?

Man so many hateful people on these posts. Feel bad for you man.
agree 100%! Getting worse too. Good luck Livvey, you make a better product, I’ll buy it in a heartbeat. Be very conscience of price though, the current ones work pretty good at a low price. There’s only so many that go up in that Beaver Dam price stratosphere.

Offline On The Lam

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #42 on: Feb 12, 2021, 09:42 AM »
The fishing rod style tip ups like finicky foolers and i-fish pro are where its at. Come up with something new and innovative in that avenue. Traditional tipups are hard to improve on.

I agree with this.  While I admire the desire to improve something, it has to be the RIGHT something.  Sportsman are more than willing to try new products, if it is compelling enough to justify the purchase.  I switched to the Finicky Fooler because they brought something innovative, (using a rod/reel with open bail) to the traditional tip up model.  Then, they improved it by adding an optional hooksetter if you wanted it.  Then, they diversified by adding other products, like their hole covers (which are also top notch) and based on shortcomings of other types.  A natural curiosity helps, but that is only one element. 

PS: not affiliated with Finicky Fooler in any way

Offline Salmonquest

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Feb 12, 2021, 09:46 AM »
built in hook treble hook holder

x2 this!

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Feb 12, 2021, 12:35 PM »
Before setting out on design, I would spend more time on the problem statement. A better tip up is not descriptive enough. There are Multiple unattended fishing solutions, and each is optimized differently.
As you can see below, there are a lot  of issues with the current solutions, and if you look into them you will see they group into several categories. You can solve them all with enough complexity and money, but you will not have a viable product unless you provide increased value relative to the current products.

The biggest remaining problems I see with current offerings are:

Freezing up/filling with snow

Notification: Don't see/notice alarm

Fighting the fish: Handling is not the most fun/effective way to land the fish

Of course, even the lesser issues are an opportunity to improve, size, weight, cost, durability,...

Offline Brappp

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #45 on: Feb 12, 2021, 09:24 PM »
Maybe  braided line will help.

Offline fish/hunt4ever

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Feb 13, 2021, 08:29 AM »
I have always loved my polar tipups the only issue that I have run into are the light  biters, perch, just pulling enough to turn the tbar and not set the flag off so better design of the tbar and them sucking up water and freezing up and not turning at all, maybe a better grease out there that does not break down in water. I know that is not a better tip up design but another thing for ice fishing that we could all use on tip ups or fishing reels as snow gets in to the reels as well. Good luck.

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #47 on: Feb 13, 2021, 08:44 AM »
Tip up lube is a combination of lubricant and sealer, essentially grease and oil of some kind. Too much grease and it won’t allow water to suck in (capillary action) but it stiffens and won’t turn. Too much oil and it’ll spin freely till the water sucks in, freezes, expands, and it won’t turn. HT blu lube works best for me, Frabill doesn’t work at all. JMHO

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #48 on: Feb 13, 2021, 12:51 PM »
How miserable do you have to be to post this? This is literally an important type of research. Reaching out to users to get more feedback. This is away to have access to more information and experience than one person can gather by themselves.

I feel bad for you.

::) I don't think his post was nearly as miserable or as whiney as yours.  God forbid someone share an opinion here.

Offline Nessmuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Feb 13, 2021, 09:08 PM »
Make a tip up ....that when the flag goes up...you gets a horn sound on your phone.

Offline paul23

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • AKA Bauls25 on mff
« Reply #50 on: Feb 14, 2021, 01:28 PM »
Easy, make the cross legs sit level, so theres no tilting when on bare ice. And lock them in a 90 degree.
Never been a fan of them wingnuts and trying to tighten them.

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #51 on: Feb 14, 2021, 02:25 PM »
Paul, Most made in this century do sit level. 😃

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #52 on: Feb 14, 2021, 02:58 PM »
Paul, Most made in this century do sit level. 😃

None of the cross stick ones like in Paul's picture do sit flat or at least I haven't seen any that do.
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline livvy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #53 on: Feb 14, 2021, 04:54 PM »
thanks for all the feedback so far everyone!

this is just a quick design project for school -- so your user feedback has been really important and helpful, especially for me to understand problems other people have with the product. i appreciate all the help so far and i'll be sure to post some final 3D renders once the project is complete in the next couple weeks!

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #54 on: Feb 14, 2021, 05:01 PM »
Best of luck!

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #55 on: Feb 14, 2021, 05:40 PM »
None of the cross stick ones like in Paul's picture do sit flat or at least I haven't seen any that do.
I was just kidding him, you never see that style around here. I thought they were a thing of the past. Seems there are many choices better to me. No harm-no foul. Just light hearted ribbing.

Offline Tmuskie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #56 on: Feb 14, 2021, 06:10 PM »
i need YOUR input please! im currently a design student looking at solutions for improving the current tip-ups for ice fishing on the market. do you have any problems you face with current tip-ups and anything you would want to see in a design of a new one? i appreciate your feedback and input :)

Wind FLAGS!!!!   Black Majic Tip-Ups use a cam system.  Been using them for the last 10+ years.  Give at least one a try.
There's a hole in the Ice,  Dear Liza, Dear Liza.
There's a hole in the ice, Dear Liza, a hole.

Well fish it, Dear Henry, Dear Henry, Dear Henry
Well fish it Dear Henry. Dear Henry, Fish it.

Offline ejdelvo28

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #57 on: Feb 14, 2021, 07:34 PM »
Make a **quality** magnetic, tube style tip-up.  Worth Co made some nice ones back in the 80s and 90s but have been long out of business.  HT made some garbage ones in years past but currently, no one makes them.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #58 on: Feb 14, 2021, 08:18 PM »
I want to see the poryogon design!  ;)
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #59 on: Feb 20, 2021, 08:53 PM »
thanks for all the feedback so far everyone!

this is just a quick design project for school -- so your user feedback has been really important and helpful, especially for me to understand problems other people have with the product. i appreciate all the help so far and i'll be sure to post some final 3D renders once the project is complete in the next couple weeks!
You going to share your millions with all of us??  Good luck

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.