Author Topic: Barometer recommendation?  (Read 2905 times)

Offline Dakota-Lew

• Team IceShanty Regular
Barometer recommendation?
« on: Sep 22, 2017, 08:58 AM »
I record everything when it comes to fishing, I run a stand alone helix 5 (GPS only) that i transfer back and fourth between the boat and the snowmobile and have every fish i have ever caught in the last ten years on it, and on every way point i record the conditions etc etc. I like to look over the data over the years and develop trends and so fourth to increase my efficiency on the ice and open water, i am not a tourney guy or anything, just a guy that likes data and the thrill of the hunt/chase.

The one thing i haven't recorded has been the rising and falling of the barometric pressure and some of my data isn't really making a ton of sense. I am speculating that some of that may be due to the barometric pressure, so i want to add a barometer for more data to carry with me. I know that some guys are gonna raise an eye brow to this but hey i like this kind of crap haha.

Anyone got a recommendation for a hand held barometer that they like? I really dont want to spend a huge chunk of a change on a hunch... and maybe thats a problem.

i looked at some on amazon and almost all have pretty poor reviews. I am wondering if its just hard to accurately get that information in a hand held reliably. I really just want to know if its rising or falling.

I thought about just getting a watch and strapping it to to my steering wheel of the boat and then to the handle bars of snowmobile. (https://www.amazon.com/Casio-SGW300HB-3AVCF-Multi-Function-Sport-Watch/dp/B003URP7CQ/ref=sr_1_2?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1506033762&sr=1-2&keywords=casio+triple+sensor)

I also thought about getting one of the hand held weather stations (https://www.amazon.com/KASUNTEST-Anemometer-Temperature-Barometer-KT-302/dp/B071KBBK6K)

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
Re: Barometer recommendation?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 22, 2017, 09:09 AM »
There are barometer apps with history for smart phones.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Dakota-Lew

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Sep 22, 2017, 09:22 AM »
Yea i thought about that but i am in extreme rural North Dakota, and the weather apps is not all that accurate out here in my experience. Plus 90% of the time i have zero cell service out on the water, and looking for real time data.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Sep 22, 2017, 07:55 PM »
I own this one at link.. the only problem I have if I drop it I got to rest the gauge that means looking at the weather on my phone other then that it work out nicely ..

http://www.basspro.com/shop/en/trac-fishing-barometer

Offline jm1986

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Sep 26, 2017, 11:50 AM »
Raising an eyebrow at monitoring barometric pressure? Shoot 9 out of 10 times the barometer is the first thing I check. However I just use my phone to see where it's At and if it's rising or falling. That's generally gonna be the deciding factor if a cold front isn't coming in.
id like to hear everyone else's thought on their theories behind the barometer.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #5 on: Sep 26, 2017, 11:57 AM »
Hey Dakota-Le , what kind of trends and observations have you made in your 10 years of keeping data?

Offline Fish Butcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Sep 26, 2017, 03:57 PM »
Raising an eyebrow at monitoring barometric pressure? Shoot 9 out of 10 times the barometer is the first thing I check. However I just use my phone to see where it's At and if it's rising or falling. That's generally gonna be the deciding factor if a cold front isn't coming in.
id like to hear everyone else's thought on their theories behind the barometer.
My thought is, the deeper the water the more the barometer comes into play.

Offline Dakota-Lew

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Sep 26, 2017, 05:04 PM »
Hey chilly willy, think that barometer can ride in a snowmobile bouncing across the ice or is that going to mess it up.

Hey Dakota-Le , what kind of trends and observations have you made in your 10 years of keeping data?

Well nothing to shocking really, just the movement of the fish on lakes depending on time of year and thickness of ice. Its really just telling for me to know what part of the lake to go out on and what structures to fish.  Thicker the ice the less active they tend to get on me, and the deeper i have to go.

The only goof ball things that i notice is i really struggle with early pan-fish versus mid to late ice, and walleyes for me are pointless mid winter, I can see a trend that the thicker the ice the worse it gets for me, decrease in size and catch for the eyes. I typically catch more northerns the sunnier it gets. So its not to shocking, first ice i target walleyes and pike, mid ice i switch 100% over to panfish, and very late ice i go after walleyes and pike again.

Really though outside of the above obvious trends, the real usable data is where they are at on underwater structure depending on time of year and ice conditions, thats the real ticket for me is to go to the right spot, right out of the gate. All its doing is increasing my efficiency. 

Whats really fun to do is compare data and notes on lakes with others that do the same thing.... that you trust haha.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Sep 26, 2017, 06:25 PM »
Hey chilly willy, think that barometer can ride in a snowmobile bouncing across the ice or is that going to mess it up.

Well nothing to shocking really, just the movement of the fish on lakes depending on time of year and thickness of ice. Its really just telling for me to know what part of the lake to go out on and what structures to fish.  Thicker the ice the less active they tend to get on me, and the deeper i have to go.

The only goof ball things that i notice is i really struggle with early pan-fish versus mid to late ice, and walleyes for me are pointless mid winter, I can see a trend that the thicker the ice the worse it gets for me, decrease in size and catch for the eyes. I typically catch more northerns the sunnier it gets. So its not to shocking, first ice i target walleyes and pike, mid ice i switch 100% over to panfish, and very late ice i go after walleyes and pike again.

Really though outside of the above obvious trends, the real usable data is where they are at on underwater structure depending on time of year and ice conditions, thats the real ticket for me is to go to the right spot, right out of the gate. All its doing is increasing my efficiency. 

Whats really fun to do is compare data and notes on lakes with others that do the same thing.... that you trust haha.

Mine don't even last the car ride to the fishing hole lol's just set it close you be able to tell the fall and rise barometer..

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #10 on: Sep 26, 2017, 09:16 PM »
Thanks DL:)

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Sep 27, 2017, 06:27 AM »
My thought is, the deeper the water the more the barometer comes into play.

Actually, the deeper the water is, the less effect atmospheric pressure has on fish. Hydrostatic pressure is heavier on deep water fish than atmospheric pressure. For every 33' of water you go deeper, pressure increases 14.5 psi. Once you get that deep or deeper, the fish don't even notice atmospheric pressure because the hydrostatic pressure is higher. It's the shallow water fish that are affected by changes in atmospheric pressure like crappies in 10-15' deep lakes. I don't know if it's the pressure itself that makes fish react or the weather that shallow water fish associate with pressure changes. During one fishing trip I was on this year at a 10-15' lake while in a low pressure system. It was drizzly all day and the fish were hitting very light and it was mostly small fish. I could see a lot of fish staging on the bottom all over the lake on my FF but they wouldn't bite. As the front passed and the high pressure hit dragging along a severe downpour, the fish disappeared. I saw nothing on the FF. Was it the front or the downpour? I'm thinking it was the sudden change in pressure.

Offline Dakota-Lew

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Sep 27, 2017, 08:25 AM »
Actually, the deeper the water is, the less effect atmospheric pressure has on fish. Hydrostatic pressure is heavier on deep water fish than atmospheric pressure. For every 33' of water you go deeper, pressure increases 14.5 psi. Once you get that deep or deeper, the fish don't even notice atmospheric pressure because the hydrostatic pressure is higher. It's the shallow water fish that are affected by changes in atmospheric pressure like crappies in 10-15' deep lakes. I don't know if it's the pressure itself that makes fish react or the weather that shallow water fish associate with pressure changes. During one fishing trip I was on this year at a 10-15' lake while in a low pressure system. It was drizzly all day and the fish were hitting very light and it was mostly small fish. I could see a lot of fish staging on the bottom all over the lake on my FF but they wouldn't bite. As the front passed and the high pressure hit dragging along a severe downpour, the fish disappeared. I saw nothing on the FF. Was it the front or the downpour? I'm thinking it was the sudden change in pressure.

See now this is why i want to find a barometer i can bring with me to be able to record that kind of fish response. I have totally seen this before, and since most of the lakes i fish dont have cell service i cant really see what the barometric pressure id doing.

So it sounds like the mechanical style barometers are out, and i need to find an electronic one.

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Sep 27, 2017, 09:20 AM »
some of the inexpensive fishing barometers work fine if you know how to use it. also, many GPS systems can give you a barometer reading. Personally, I would just get a small hand held fishing barometer and learn how to use it.

Offline Fish Butcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Sep 27, 2017, 09:57 AM »
Old school barometer- cows. On the way to your fishing hole, if the cows are laying down then so are the fish. You might as well turn around and go back home.

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Sep 27, 2017, 03:59 PM »
Old school barometer- cows. On the way to your fishing hole, if the cows are laying down then so are the fish. You might as well turn around and go back home.

What a cool thought.  A brief article about it: http://knowbefore.weatherbug.com/2014/11/13/can-cows-predict-weather/

So you dislike a falling barometer.  But I have quite a few experiences where we got a good bite as the storm moved in.

DL: I like what you're doing and I'm jealous of your collected data.  I've often thought that would be an excellent way to go but have never bitten the bullet to do it.
 Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #16 on: Sep 27, 2017, 04:59 PM »
many times ive been skunked as in not even seeing a fish on the FF. Drilled as many holes as I had fuel or battery and mark zero fish. I know the fish are there. Have seen them and caught them on different day...but occasionally something makes them stop moving and basically "disappear"

Offline Icer for life

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Sep 27, 2017, 07:51 PM »
I'm a barometer checker - the low pressure more times than not have produced well for me.  Thanks for starting this thread, I will start this year to also collect the data - will be interesting to compare notes as the season goes.

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Sep 27, 2017, 08:38 PM »
Dang it!  There goes another item onto my wish list.
 Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Sep 28, 2017, 05:18 AM »
What a cool thought.  A brief article about it: http://knowbefore.weatherbug.com/2014/11/13/can-cows-predict-weather/

So you dislike a falling barometer.  But I have quite a few experiences where we got a good bite as the storm moved in.

DL: I like what you're doing and I'm jealous of your collected data.  I've often thought that would be an excellent way to go but have never bitten the bullet to do it.

Actually, a falling barometer can put fish on the feed. I've found that a steady high pressure system can make fish sluggish. I'll see them but they don't bite. During steady high pressure I tend to get only small fish. As the pressure drops they put on a feed and it can be a good day. During a steady low pressure the fish will feed sporadically, I don't know what triggers the sudden feeds but fishing can be off and on good. When a high pressure front rolls in the fish drop. At least that's what I've found.

High pressure days with blue bird skys are usually tough fishing. When clouds are moving in it tends to get better. If a high pressure front moves in with storms, it's time to go home.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Oct 04, 2017, 11:28 AM »
good read. Basically, just get out and fish when you can!

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #22 on: Oct 04, 2017, 11:43 AM »
I believe there are many other reliable/trusted/proven factors to rely on for successful catch rates... species preferences  to forage ..structure ...bottom composition  ...seasonal movements pre/post spawn and a host of others ..but nothing beats the old adage... "you should have been here yesterday"  ;D always the great equalizer.

IN-Fisherman formula :  F (fish)+L (location)+P (presentation)= S (success)

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Fish Butcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Oct 04, 2017, 08:53 PM »
good read. Basically, just get out and fish when you can!
Exactly.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #24 on: Oct 04, 2017, 09:05 PM »
If you go on just about any decent weather site enter your zip code you can find a hour by hour barometer history. The barometer does not vary that much if any within a zip code.

Offline Dakota-Lew

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Oct 05, 2017, 09:13 AM »
While i agree with you all, you are missing the point, i just want to collect more data for my local water. . I LOVE ice fishing and open water to a minor degree, but what i like the most is the thrill of the hunt, i prefer a tuff bite so i am forced to explore. I am curious is all, more information the more correlations i can make.

The main problem I have is North Dakota isnt known for its amazing cell service, as a matter of fact on 5 out of the 6 lakes i fish on the regular, there is zero cell service on the water, so an app is out for reliable data.

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing a sport, or just reason to buy stuff?
« Reply #26 on: Oct 22, 2017, 06:54 PM »
Another point, watch your local weather forecast and it will tell you of an approaching weather pattern.  After a while you can predict the falling barometer with out much error.

Don"t forget to increase your odds by fishing with the moon phases AND the barometer, the double whammy.

Daniel Boone didn't use a barometer. nor did the great fisherman  Iassic Walton ( The Compleat Angler) or that other guy that fished On Waldon Pond (ha, ha).
Thread killer

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #27 on: Oct 22, 2017, 07:09 PM »
Fishing barameter. Cabelas sells them for about $17.  ;)
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.