The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Big lakers out of Elligo  (Read 2441 times)

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
Big lakers out of Elligo
« on: Jan 17, 2024, 07:35 PM »
There’s been some big lakers being caught at Elligo. Is there decent size perch in there also?
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline vt-jig

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Big lakers out of Elligo
« Reply #1 on: Jan 19, 2024, 11:58 PM »
My biggest laker there (so far) had been about 15",    and biggest perch was bait sized.      If it's popping off, I'd definitely get on it and enjoy.   Nice place but giants aren't the norm.   I'm no expert though. Obviously there's gonna be SOME tanks. It gets pretty deep in places.   I haven't been by this season yet.   Any word on it's ice conditions?
"Guys, Come look! This perch is as big as my house!"

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Jan 20, 2024, 06:48 PM »
If you want big lakers theres a better lake...just needs to freeze in the right spots.

Offline vt-jig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 27, 2024, 12:03 PM »
If you want big lakers theres a better lake...just needs to freeze in the right spots.
      the Death Lake  ::)   

Offline Vtperchchaser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 30, 2024, 05:19 AM »
It’s been a number of yrs since I fished elligo. I use to travel everywhere in search of the most giant perch we could find. Caught some beauty’s out of elligo. Not a lot of them. Typical size we caught was 8-9”. Also typical size laker we’d catch was 12-16”. We fished the deep channel towards the ledges multiple days both jigging with big bait and set up all dif depths for lakers and no big ones. Caspian is pretty good for lakers. Once again another lake I haven’t visited in many yrs. My new obsession is walleye and pike. Scary last few yrs how little ice we’ve had

Offline GrubSprings

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 06, 2024, 08:47 AM »
I stuck out hard at Elligo last weekend.  Saw lots of fish on my sonar but very few bites.  I threw minnow at them, plastics, hard jigs, spoons.  Couldn't get them to take it.  One hook up but I lost it pretty quickly.  What have folks used to get the lakers when they are finicky?

Offline Vtperchchaser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 11, 2024, 06:30 AM »
My go to is a med sized Swedish pimple with biggest minnow head you have or back half the body. The chase is usually what will make them strike

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Feb 14, 2024, 09:39 AM »
I stuck out hard at Elligo last weekend.  Saw lots of fish on my sonar but very few bites.  I threw minnow at them, plastics, hard jigs, spoons.  Couldn't get them to take it.  One hook up but I lost it pretty quickly.  What have folks used to get the lakers when they are finicky?

I only use plastics on jig heads, I typically don't jig much, they dont like that much and youll notice they come look and then go back to the bottom.  I leave my jig mid column, when a laker comes to look I start reeling it away.  When they are feeding they smash it.  If not they'll go half way and then turn to go back to the bottom.  I will let the jig rip past them and then will jig it very subtlely on the bottom.  Most of the finiky ones will eat the jig off the bottom.

Also sometimes youll need to downsize significantly.  I dont tip my jigs with anything, never have, and it hasnt effected catch rates.  Fished Sunday and landed over 20 all on a jig/paddle tail combo.

Offline seymourbass

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 14, 2024, 11:30 AM »
I only use plastics on jig heads, I typically don't jig much, they dont like that much and youll notice they come look and then go back to the bottom.  I leave my jig mid column, when a laker comes to look I start reeling it away.  When they are feeding they smash it.  If not they'll go half way and then turn to go back to the bottom.  I will let the jig rip past them and then will jig it very subtlely on the bottom.  Most of the finiky ones will eat the jig off the bottom.

Also sometimes youll need to downsize significantly.  I dont tip my jigs with anything, never have, and it hasnt effected catch rates.  Fished Sunday and landed over 20 all on a jig/paddle tail combo.
Top shelf info right here!

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Feb 14, 2024, 02:15 PM »
Top shelf info right here!

Probably more middle shelf, but guarenteed if its used on the biggest laker lake in your state.

Offline seymourbass

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 14, 2024, 03:58 PM »
Probably more middle shelf, but guarenteed if its used on the biggest laker lake in your state.

just west of pisgah

Offline vt-jig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 20, 2024, 02:50 PM »

Lindy flyer spoons, smelt-like colors.    Didn't cach am hogs but released 5 or 6 out of there last year,  all under 18"        1st one was a colorful  12" beauty that was entirely photo-worthy,  if the  the wind-chill had of allowed the luxury.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.