Author Topic: Auger clutch issues  (Read 3700 times)

Offline Teleskiah

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Square Lake Brookie
Auger clutch issues
« on: Apr 09, 2020, 05:40 AM »
My auger blade is spinning when you pull the recoil, when it fires up, the blade won’t stop spinning. While attempting to continue to drill holes, I found the end of one of the clutch springs laying on the ice that somehow escaped the transmission! I pulled the transmission apart and found the broken clutch spring. A fellow fisherman who had a spare spring mailed me one. Installed last night and still have the same issue. I can’t get the blade to stop turning. I know it’s not the idle screw or throttle cable.

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish..the other white meat
Re: Auger clutch issues
« Reply #1 on: Apr 09, 2020, 08:43 AM »
From looking at both pics, it seems the clutch assembly is bent over to one side or is it loose in the housing and can move side to side. 

Offline papadarv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Apr 09, 2020, 08:45 AM »
Looks like a Jiffy 30. Remove the shoe assembly, make sure the spring is a Jiffy 30 spring, hook up the new spring (not easy to do) I use a heavy duty hose clamp to compress the 2 shoes to the driver shaft assembly, reinstall the shoe assembly making sure spacing of both shoes to the auger outer drum drive is equal.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #3 on: Apr 09, 2020, 09:24 AM »
Other spring is probably wore out too.should replace both.

Offline Teleskiah

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Square Lake Brookie
« Reply #4 on: Apr 09, 2020, 11:09 AM »
Other spring is probably wore out too.should replace both.

I was thinking the same thing, I think the "new" spring I put in is old. 

Offline Teleskiah

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Square Lake Brookie
« Reply #5 on: Apr 09, 2020, 11:11 AM »
Looks like a Jiffy 30. Remove the shoe assembly, make sure the spring is a Jiffy 30 spring, hook up the new spring (not easy to do) I use a heavy duty hose clamp to compress the 2 shoes to the driver shaft assembly, reinstall the shoe assembly making sure spacing of both shoes to the auger outer drum drive is equal.

It is a Jiffy 30, relatively new too.  I fear it heated up and something happened to the crank shaft.  It seems to wobble pretty heavily. 

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #6 on: Apr 09, 2020, 12:11 PM »
If the clutch got hot it wrecks the springs just like a minibike clutch.have to get really hot to mess up a crank.

Offline Teleskiah

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Square Lake Brookie
« Reply #7 on: Apr 09, 2020, 07:00 PM »
Problem solved! Installed entirely new clutch assembly tonight & she’s working like a charm, thank you for everyone’s help

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Apr 09, 2020, 11:23 PM »
I had the same problem with my StrikeMaster "Lazer Mag" last year, it would continue to turn slowly at idle speed same as your Jiffy (dangerous).  I did not know what was wrong and couldn't  find a repair shop near me so I left it as is.  Now that I know what might be wrong I will pull the transmission apart and check the springs.  I hear D-Rock Ice Center 175 Old Hwy 8 SW New Brighton, MN 55112 tel: 651-639-0446 maybe able to supply the springs or complete clutch assembly.  Anyone know of a shop closer to Western New York?

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #9 on: Apr 10, 2020, 08:50 PM »
Perch Chacer go to the Maine forum at the top of page you will see Dag's bait shop listed as one of that forum's sponsors. They are located in Auburn,Maine and might have the parts as they repair and sell used/reconditioned augers.
 Steve

Offline Teleskiah

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Square Lake Brookie
« Reply #10 on: Apr 12, 2020, 03:30 PM »
I had the same problem with my StrikeMaster "Lazer Mag" last year, it would continue to turn slowly at idle speed same as your Jiffy (dangerous).  I did not know what was wrong and couldn't  find a repair shop near me so I left it as is.  Now that I know what might be wrong I will pull the transmission apart and check the springs.  I hear D-Rock Ice Center 175 Old Hwy 8 SW New Brighton, MN 55112 tel: 651-639-0446 maybe able to supply the springs or complete clutch assembly.  Anyone know of a shop closer to Western New York?

This spring looks EXACTLY like the one that came out of my jiffy 30 transmission. Earthquake is owned by jiffy. Jiffy won’t sell just the spring, they make you buy the entire assembly. $60! This might be worth a try, be leery of previously used springs!
https://www.ebay.com/itm/293510000778

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #11 on: Apr 13, 2020, 06:05 PM »
Time for a cordless drill, your back will thank you gor it.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Apr 13, 2020, 10:54 PM »
This spring looks EXACTLY like the one that came out of my jiffy 30 transmission. Earthquake is owned by jiffy. Jiffy won’t sell just the spring, they make you buy the entire assembly. $60! This might be worth a try, be leery of previously used springs!

Looks like the best place for me to get parts is "D"Rock Ice Center.  I talked to them and they told me it is probably a single spring model clutch and they sent me a photo.

Once I get the transmission opened up I'll be able to determine which clutch assembly is in the Strikemaster Lazer Mag. 

I also have a cordless drill and auger but when your on late ice which is 24" or more and traveling alot to find fish, the power auger is best for me.

Offline papadarv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Apr 14, 2020, 08:37 AM »
Not quite, Jiffy parent company is FELDMAN ENGINEERING AND MANUFACTURING CO., INC. 520 Forest Ave. Sheboygan Falls , WI 53085. Earthquake parent company is Ardisam (Eskimo) out of Cumberland WI.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.