Author Topic: Jon-E hand/pocket warmers.  (Read 4043 times)

Offline busler15

• Team IceShanty Regular
Jon-E hand/pocket warmers.
« on: Feb 14, 2006, 07:53 PM »
my father just gave to me a Jon-e hand warmer and pouch. It is the regular size. He got it from his dad, who fished. My dad never fished and didnt use it. Its in awesome shape.

I was wondering. How do these work? Is it safe? How do I use them?

Thanks guys.

Offline swantucky

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Jon-E hand/pocket warmers.
« Reply #1 on: Feb 14, 2006, 08:18 PM »
I will tell you, DO NOT USE IT.  Even if you could find fuel for it you would be taking a chance at losing it.  I am sure they are still safe to operate but why???  You can buy handwarmers that last 8 hours for under a buck apiece.  Do not be the 3rd generation loser as I have been with alot of stuff my grandfather gave me to use.  It cannot be replaced!!!  All of my grandfathers equipment that I did not lose has been put in a small "shrine" in my trophy room.  It is worth more to me than anything else I have there.  Put your handwarmers in a safe place and remember how things used to be.

I will give the long version of my icefishing start from an old polish guy if anyone shows any interest???  Sorry about the thred hijack.
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Offline winchester 88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 14, 2006, 08:41 PM »
When I was a kid and first started to deer hunt they came out with these hand warmers. Back then they were the best thing since sliced bread but they were a pain to keep lit and stunk real bad.
 We used lighter fluid to fuel them and sometimes over filled them and when they were lit you had a roaring fire in your hand.
 The theory behind them was that they burned the fumes from the fuel as it passed over a wire element which would glow like today's cat heaters.
 You can still buy them but they aren't worth the messing around that is required to keep them going. Take the advice of the brother and put it in your trophy case as a memory of your grandfather and the things of the past.
Winchester 88
Has the rain a father?
Or who has begotten the drops of dew?
From whose womb comes the ice?
And the frost from heaven,who gives it birth?
By the breath of God ice is given and the broad waters are frozen.
The waters harden like stone and the surface of the deep is frozen.

The book of Job.

Offline METIPPIN

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got Ice?
« Reply #3 on: Feb 14, 2006, 08:45 PM »
I 2nd that. I haven't seen those things in years.

Offline whitetail

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 14, 2006, 08:46 PM »
Probably forty or so years ago my parents gave me a Jon-e hand warmer for my birthday when I was 12-14 years old. I was the happiest kid in town. I used it for quite a few years. They put out a lot of heat. But I remember that I had to keep it in an outside pocket on a coat. I could not put it in a pant pocket because the fuel vapors would blister my skin. If I had it in a pocket for a couple hours my skin would blister and peel a few days later. So it had to be a coat pocket. If I remember right it would put out heat for about two hours on a fill up.
       I would not use it either. It is a great keep sake. I wish that I still had mine. This brings back memories from a long time ago. I did not even know these memories were still on file behind these bifocals until you asked about Jon-e. Thanks, keep yer powder dry

Offline willbilly

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ONTARIO NEW YORK
« Reply #5 on: Feb 14, 2006, 08:46 PM »
that zippo lighter fjuid will give you a hell of a rash too!!! :'(

Offline hollis

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #6 on: Feb 15, 2006, 11:33 AM »
Odd to see these treated like antiques,...You can still buy them around here, they even have very large ones that you put in a kind of fanny pack/kidney belt and under your last layer of coat. If you read the directions I don't see them as being a hazard. You should use good refined low odor lighter fluid and (again) follow the directions on how to fill/light it. It produces way more heat than the charcoal/iron filings throw away ones. I got a bunch at flea markets and pay a few buck for each,...I put 1-2 in a box with spare gloves , nice to put on HOT gloves if fingers are cold! For cold days on open water I made a container that breathes a bit and put my damp gloves in the container,..under most weather conditions it drys them out. Also have at time put them in boots,/spare shoes/boots to either dry them out or to have warm boots to put on, they cost so little to operate (if you get the big containers of lighter fluid) and so little to buy (getting them at flea markets) That you can put one or two in say front jacket pockets and can quickly warm up very cold hands,

Offline Fish-A-Holic

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Winnebago and Lovin it
« Reply #7 on: Feb 15, 2006, 11:41 AM »
I don't understand why some of you consider these to be relects. They are still sold. I have 3 of them. 2 small ones for hands and a larger one for a fanny pack. Why would I spend the money even if it's only a buck to keep my hands warm with the chemical ones that get your hands black when I can put about 15 cents worth of lighter fluid in a Jonee. I've never had trouble keeping them going with a little maintenence. And as far as danger goes, there is none. I've used mine for over 20 years and have yet to have a problem.

The biggest issue with these is to not fill them up so that the fluid is dripping out of them. Follow the directions and they work great at about 1/3 the price of the junk chemical ones. Works great as a cigerette lighter also.

Sounds like a few folks here need some fetchin up about the jonee's
The Fish-A-Holic

Offline Swede

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 15, 2006, 11:53 AM »
I am somewhat of a collector of older outdoor gear. If what you all are talking about is like this one, then from my knowledge the modern ones do not compare. The older ones are good thick metal and you can tell they were made when things were not just cheaply stamped out low quality metal. I would hold onto it like mentioned above. It came from your Grandpa, so its worth is beyond money.

crowkiller

« Reply #9 on: Feb 15, 2006, 12:14 PM »
i have 2 and a wrap with pocket that goes around your waist

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #10 on: Feb 15, 2006, 02:33 PM »
They work great. I just got one for my wife on winter clearance for $9. Heck...even Walmart still carries them.

If it were me...I'd keep it and use it. I'm sure your grandfather did not give it to you for it to sit in a box somewhere.

Offline coldbum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 15, 2006, 03:17 PM »
I would put it away and save it!  I inherited all of my grandfathers gear and out of stupidity and being poor I used it for the first 10 years I fished after he passed! Well I can tell you not much is left of Poppy's gear. What I do have left is stored in his oak gun chest in the attic to pass on to my children when I am old!

PIKEGUY

« Reply #12 on: Feb 15, 2006, 03:24 PM »
I would put it away but......if you use it .......be freakin carefull with it ;)

Offline BillB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 15, 2006, 04:47 PM »
They work great. Make sure you use a quality lighter fluid or the official Jon-E fluid. Don't overfill the unit. Give it a shake upside down until no drops of fuel come out. Oh, and moisture in the fuel is a no-no. If the unit still doesn't throw heat or goes out quickly (and you know the fuel to be OK) then check the wick. It can be replaced for cheap.

dwayne

« Reply #14 on: Feb 15, 2006, 05:52 PM »
never use them hunting for the obvious smell reasons but they are a great friend on the ice.  Use common sense and they are as safe as any other tool out there for outdoor pursuits......

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #15 on: Feb 15, 2006, 06:20 PM »
They do make a good heater but the vapors will make their way to your bait. They also permeate into your skin and can do more than just cause a rash. I used these for a lot of years but have moved with the changes of the ones that used the charcoal sticks, these really cranked out some heat especially when you light both ends but they were real smokey. Then stuck with the disposables even though they produced the least amount of heat. I still use these but prefer a small heater to do the job so I now have three different ones that cover about every situation.

:tipup:

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline numbtoes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • numbtoes
« Reply #16 on: Feb 15, 2006, 09:39 PM »
I use one now and then. They have their uses. If you put one in your shirt pocket the fumes can be pretty bad but if your fingers start getting cold and you don't want to put gloves or mittens on holding one in your hand warms it up pretty fast.

Offline hardwater Rick

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • THROW THE SMALL ONES BACK!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #17 on: Feb 16, 2006, 08:00 AM »
I just get a new one for xmas  they work great and last a long time on the ice
you just have to use it right.. never leave without it.. when you are done take the element out to shut it down  no problems for me anyway

Offline swantucky

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 16, 2006, 08:34 AM »
Maybe I was not as clear as I could have been in my 1 st reply.  I think if you have a newer one or one you bought go on and use it, they do work pretty good.  What I was trying to say was when my grandfather became too old to hunt and fish he gave me all of his gear.  I was about 14 years old or so and it was quite a windfall of gear for me.  Of course I used it, I broke a few things, had a model 12 stolen, and lost a ton of old wooden plugs and spoons that were still in the box/origanal packaging.  Now twenty-some years later I wish I had all that stuff back, it cannot be replaced.  I can't tell you how many times when I could use some advice I go down to the basement and talk to the old photos and gear.

Plus if you want to talk about priceless.......you should have seen the look on my: no visiting, no helping, worthless uncle's face when at my grandfathers funeral he he says to my mom and I "boy I better get over to dad's and go through his fishing stuff and get his guns", thats when I told him he would look long and hard for it because grandpa gave it all to me 10 years ago, maybe you should have visited him  more and you would know that. 
Now that was truly priceless!!!!
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

PIKEGUY

« Reply #19 on: Feb 16, 2006, 10:21 AM »
Nice!
I know how that goes Swantucky ;)

crowkiller

« Reply #20 on: Feb 16, 2006, 10:23 AM »
i have a bunch of my gramps old gear and i use it all it helps me to remember him n he would want me to use it or he would of sold it all

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.