Author Topic: Depth??  (Read 1010 times)

Offline FishinCrazy147

• IceShanty Rookie
Depth??
« on: Feb 12, 2006, 05:25 PM »
If im at a lake where the deepest part is like 35-40 feet deep, and all weeds, what depth should i set my bait at for big northerns? i usually try 3 feet off the bottom, but not much luck, any suggestions ??? :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
Re: Depth??
« Reply #1 on: Feb 12, 2006, 05:33 PM »
Two to three feet from bottom shoud work. I usually set up nearby where the panfish action is. Probably in 3 - 15 feet of water. They are usually feeding on gills & perch. You'll get lots of good information in the Pike section of this board.

:tipup:

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline die hard22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 12, 2006, 06:28 PM »
I have done quite a bit of ice fishing for pike and I personally like a depth of 8 feet. Not usually to much shallower unless the lake only has 10-15 feet of max depth and not usually deeper than 12 just as a prime spot. In past years on a lake with a 2 line limit and usually going out with a couple friends and the lines right around 8' almost always saw the best action. It's hard to target only the bigger pike, even using 8'' suckers has landed me many 1-2 lb'ers. I've caught most of my nicer pike on either a 4'' common shiner  or 5-6'' chubs or suckers. For numbers of pike putting your bait 3' off bottom works well and gets it noticed but for some reason putting my bait only 1' or less off bottom has landed me some nice ones.

Offline reelbigfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Just one more and we'll all go home. SE Mi.
« Reply #3 on: Feb 13, 2006, 08:31 AM »
Fishincrazy,  The 8' to 12' depth is good advice but if the lake has a ton of weed growth keep your bait above the thicker weeds.  I would try and find some coontail
or other spiral weed growth rather than the thicker cabbage.  I also like to set one line halfway between the top and the bottom so it is highly visable.

Ted
Many men go fishing their entire lives without knowing it's not fish they are after.
Thoreau

Offline 1TIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SAFE ICE TO ALL !
« Reply #4 on: Feb 13, 2006, 12:30 PM »
I have found my best luck in 3 to 8 fow just off the weed bed  with smelt .

Offline Lobo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hang in There !
« Reply #5 on: Feb 13, 2006, 12:36 PM »
I generally set up in 4 - 7 Ft. water, half the depth  unless fishing deeper water then 2- 3 Ft off bottom. But then I am far from being a pro-fisherman.  ;D

Good Luck !
Ross in Greenville, Mi.

God made the world 3/4 water and 1/4 land. So it's plain that he meant for us to fish 3/4 of the time and work 1/4 !

Offline vtpike

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 13, 2006, 12:38 PM »
For larger pike consider, large suckers, in deeper water, just under the ice. Early in the day or late afternoon isn't bad for this technique. Play with your depths as the day progresses. I am sure you will find a pattern by the end of the day and remember that for the next time!

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #7 on: Feb 13, 2006, 01:32 PM »
6-9 " sucker stomped and laid right on bottom with an extra 2' of line for the big ones. 8 -12 fow unless we are talking march then its 2'

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.