Author Topic: What Structure Do You Look For????  (Read 2367 times)

Offline Fishinut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Jig-A-Man Jigs!
What Structure Do You Look For????
« on: Dec 18, 2003, 03:24 PM »
I think alot of success when targeting any kind of species has ALOT to do with the structure you are fishing. When it comes to determining which type of structure to look for, for a particular species, I am lost! What structure do you look for when targeting Trout (Lakers, Browns, and Rainbows) ? Walleye? Pike? Panfish? I need some help on all of these species. Do you look for drop offs, flats, humps, weeds, rocks,  gradual tapers, and what depth do you concentrate on? I have a general idea of depth/structure for all species, but I need to fine tune it and narrow my options down. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much. Tight Lines and Flags Up - Fishinut
Many are cold, but few are frozen

Offline mnfishman

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re:What Structure Do You Look For????
« Reply #1 on: Dec 18, 2003, 03:42 PM »
Usually I look for humps or ridges in the bottom.   A good spot for eyes is right on the drop off from like 14' - 20'.  You can usually find panfish there as well.  Pike seem to like the flats more for some reason on the lake I fish most.  I also like to have a bottom that is not all sand.  Some weeds are good just as long as they are not too tall or thick.

Offline ButchT

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 18, 2003, 09:14 PM »
I like deep (15-18) weed edges for gills and humps or sunken islands for perch or walleyes.
Gravel bottoms with scattered patches of weeds have produced perch as well.

Offline powderburns

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 18, 2003, 09:40 PM »
At this time of the month, I'm ice-fishing in 6ft of water. That includes 18in of ice. And I'm hammering the walleyes. I can see the bottom is covered with small rocks about the size of coconuts.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.