The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Lake Trout in Flaming Gorge  (Read 815 times)

Offline rgwaldron

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Walleye fisherman
Lake Trout in Flaming Gorge
« on: Dec 11, 2023, 11:14 AM »
Does anyone have any info on lake trout in flaming gorge? I was talking to a friend, and he said Wyoming Game and Fish wanted them all out of the reservoir, but I find that very unlikely since it's such a trophy fishery and it brings lots of people to the state and generates revenue.  I thought I saw something about they want as many of the pups removed as possible but I'm not sure when a lake trout goes from pup to trophy. is 24" a safe assumption?
thanks.

Offline Dorado

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Lake Trout in Flaming Gorge
« Reply #1 on: Dec 11, 2023, 12:33 PM »
They don’t want them all gone, they just hope to reduce the population of smaller (less than 28”) lakers.  The limit is 12 per day (24 in possession), less than 28”.  Basically, there are too many smaller fish to the point that they cannot grow to trophy potential.  Plus, they are gobbling up all the Kokanee before they can mature to catchable size…

Offline appleye

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 11, 2023, 01:46 PM »
This is from WY Game and Fish websight-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUcfWuDTjIc
In the memory of "Team Lighting" Fish ON!
No one ever says,"Man that fish tastes small.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 11, 2023, 03:00 PM »
Dorado summed it up well, and Scott’s link will give you all you need to know.

The moral of the story is, come out and fish for some lake trout! Keep all you catch as they make great table fare!
Trent Williams
When hell freezes over, I’ll ice fish there too!

Offline brownb56

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 07, 2024, 01:45 AM »
Up to about 8lbs makes for some good eating. Which depending on the fish gets you around that 28" mark. Anything above that goes back in the water. Last 8lber I kept was right at the limit of being too fatty.
Teach a man to fish and he will have food for life, teach a woman to fish and he will be happy for life.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.