Author Topic: DIY salmonbear ideas  (Read 3656 times)

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
DIY salmonbear ideas
« on: Nov 04, 2018, 05:59 AM »
I remember seeing somewhere a home made “jaw jacker” that worked just like the AK salmon bear traps using a rat trap. All I’m finding now is people using mouse traps to trigger the pre loaded rod, and one on you tube that uses a mouse trap trigger and a rat trap setter. I remember the one I saw only had the one rat trap that sprung and set the hook just like the salmon bear. Does anyone know what I’m talking about and can post a link?

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: DIY salmonbear ideas
« Reply #1 on: Nov 04, 2018, 06:17 AM »
Well I finally found the post I was looking for https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=348741.30

Just need a better idea on how the trigger works. I just sent him a pm but he hasn’t logged in since Feb.

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Nov 04, 2018, 06:15 PM »
I made one last year, I'll get it down out of the garage tomorrow and post some pics of it and how I set it up. It has been tested and worked. 😉

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 04, 2018, 07:42 PM »
What is it about that style of snapper, using rat trap energy rather than the more common loaded rod that appeals to you? The loaded rod designs are more widely used, varying mostly in just the trigger configuration.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Nov 04, 2018, 09:47 PM »
What is it about that style of snapper, using rat trap energy rather than the more common loaded rod that appeals to you? The loaded rod designs are more widely used, varying mostly in just the trigger configuration.

The loaded rod designs are bad for longevity of the rods.

Offline caldwellite

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Nov 04, 2018, 09:55 PM »
There are several setups using a wire on your bent rod. I have some rodholders made with a wood base and a PVC pipe to hold the pole. I can use a wire with these holders. Hook Set Pro automatic hook setter is the name of a plastic device like the bent wire. Old web address is WWW.FishingScience.com .

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 04, 2018, 10:04 PM »
I don’t like how the rod is loaded under tension the entire time, and needing to use rods of certain length or style to make it work properly. I’ve heard of rods breaking. I know ugly sticks seem the best choice due to durability and price. I usually use HT ice riggers as I prefer to set the hook myself, and those can be used with basically any rod.  I fish for trout a lot and I get lots of hit and spits, so something that sets the hook right away makes sense for those situations.

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 09, 2018, 11:23 PM »
Just checked, even though the AK salmonbear are on sale, it’s still 50 each and newly $19 each to ship to me, I’ll make my own like the one Stickhicks did, but not very good at imagining mechanic/designs without looking at it. Guess I’ll get some parts and tinker or hope someone shows me how it’s done lol.

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Nov 10, 2018, 04:59 AM »
Just checked, even though the AK salmonbear are on sale, it’s still 50 each and newly $19 each to ship to me, I’ll make my own like the one Stickhicks did, but not very good at imagining mechanic/designs without looking at it. Guess I’ll get some parts and tinker or hope someone shows me how it’s done lol.

Sorry, I never got around to getting it down out of the garage. I'll get it down this morning and get some pics for you!

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Nov 14, 2018, 09:29 AM »
It took me a few more days to get a rod and reel out to demo it, but here's my contraption. It was tested a few times last year and worked great, even on dink 16" pike! lol
Supplies: 1 scrap board, 1 rat trap ($1.79 @ Menards), 1 piece scrap aluminum (to make the legs and "trap stop"), 3 eye screws, assorted nuts and bolts.

I use the bobber to give the fish a little time to move with the bait before the trap goes off. I might have to switch to a heavier bobber this year if there's not much snow on the ice, as this one is very light.

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Nov 14, 2018, 09:55 AM »
Thank you, now I understand the trigger lol. Now to get a rat trap and some parts.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.