Author Topic: WOOO HOOO! Wont be long  (Read 10020 times)

Offline hardh2ofish

• Team IceShanty Addict
WOOO HOOO! Wont be long
« on: Nov 10, 2007, 07:22 AM »
Went to work the other morning.  Temperature was down to 13 deg. here in valentine.  There were a lot of sandhills lakes about half skimmed over with ICE!!!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:  so at least the water is wanting to do its thing and get hard for us.  Temps this weekend though are hitting 60 plus so its not gonna happen real quick  but seeing the ice on the lakes is the light at the end of the long summer tunnel.  Gonna haveto get after it for us to fish on Thanksgiving like last year. 

p.s.  Is your gear ready?

Fishing should be the exercise of your skills- and its rewards the places it brings you to
                                                                           Negley Farson
Going Fishing

Offline hankthecrank

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Nothing better than DR PEPPER on shaved ice.
Re: WOOO HOOO! Wont be long
« Reply #1 on: Nov 10, 2007, 07:44 PM »
WOOOO HOOOO to! No my gears not ready but it sure is waiting to get readied by me.
DR PEPPER POWERED PIKE HUNTER

THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN FISHING AND CATCHING, IS ONE FISH.

Offline walleye4

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice, Ice, BABY!!!!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: Nov 15, 2007, 09:17 AM »
Bring it on!!!!!!!!!  I"M READY!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

OH NO, I have Jig-a-nitis!  Very deadly disease!!!

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I just don't have a healthy fear of...anything.
« Reply #3 on: Nov 15, 2007, 09:51 AM »
Gear is ready...it's sitting at Scheels in the boxes.  Going on a shpping spree first skim ice on the pond.  Hopefully, by the time i get everything assembled, it would be ready to fish.

Anyone else going to by that 4 stroke Strikemaster?  $500 is steep, but they are nice and quiet and sound reliable.  If you've heard anything bad about them, let me know.
STRIKELITE 4-STROKE, POLARIS 800 X2, OTTER OUTDOORS, FL-12, FORD F-150, ST. CROIX, HERITAGE LAKER AND FRABILL THERMAL TIPUPS, STRIKEMASTER BIBS AND PARKA, MR BUDDY, LOWRANCE H2O, AQUA VIEW XL, MARCUM PANNING TRIPOD, AND FATTIES.

CSP88

« Reply #4 on: Nov 15, 2007, 10:48 AM »
Anyone else going to by that 4 stroke Strikemaster?  $500 is steep, but they are nice and quiet and sound reliable.  If you've heard anything bad about them, let me know.

My new one will be here next week.

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 15, 2007, 12:46 PM »
SWEET!!  I guess we're in it together now....

But I bet I use mine first ;-)   Going to Waubay first walkable / atv ice.  Should be around Dec 8th I'm hoping. 

For everyone who doesn't know CSP88....he never used to need an auger.  He used to punch a lot of holes in the ice...with his fist.  When CSP88 does pushups on the ice..he doens't push himself up..he pushes the ice down.  His tears have been proven to be the finest fish attractant around.  Problem is...no one has ever seen him cry.  He heard Gloria Estefans "The Rythm is Gonna Get You" and then found her and beat her a$$....no one threatens CSP88 with rythm   ;D
STRIKELITE 4-STROKE, POLARIS 800 X2, OTTER OUTDOORS, FL-12, FORD F-150, ST. CROIX, HERITAGE LAKER AND FRABILL THERMAL TIPUPS, STRIKEMASTER BIBS AND PARKA, MR BUDDY, LOWRANCE H2O, AQUA VIEW XL, MARCUM PANNING TRIPOD, AND FATTIES.

Offline hardh2ofish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Nov 17, 2007, 08:45 AM »
Hey Boji.....  I  think I have heard some not so great things about about the strike master lite 4-stroke.  All of them Ive heard on here so I dont think it would be all that hard to find.  If I remember right they might leak a little oil and you have to set them down right or gas or oil seeps into your cylinder  ???  Not sure of the problems specifically but I do remember some reports here on IS.  Might look around a little before you shell out five hundy. 

Fishing should be the exercise of your skills- and its rewards the places it brings you to
                                                                           Negley Farson
Going Fishing

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 19, 2007, 07:58 AM »
yeah....the setting down thing is true.  I'm not sure I would categorize it as a problem...the manual I believe says which way to set it down.  I'm nore interested in the no-mix benefit.  But...foremost - I want a 1 or 2 pull starting auger.  Second I would like one that doesn't hurt your ears.  We'll see I guess....hopefully I can get some more feedback from north country.  I just don't want to base it off shady info.  One guy told me he had an auger that wouldn't run worth a damn.  Until I showed him the breather on top of the gas tank you have to open.  So I'll reserve judgement until I get several reviews.

Offline frozen1

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I got a fever and the only cure is more ice fishn!
« Reply #8 on: Nov 19, 2007, 03:13 PM »
I can't wait. Got the auger running the other day. Now all we need is some cold weather!!!!

Offline 1TIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SAFE ICE TO ALL !
« Reply #9 on: Nov 20, 2007, 07:08 PM »
I hear the water in Sherman Dam and the refuge lakes in Valentine are still in the upper 50's I'm guessing the first week in January for good ice !

Offline hardh2ofish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Nov 21, 2007, 05:16 PM »
Yeah I imagine that the auger will work just fine.  I imagine that if they were complete junk they wouldnt be selling them. Im sure the inticracies  of using the auger are only a matter of getting used to after using other 2-cycle augers. 

Temps today never got over 26 deg.  No ice skim on the mill pond here in town.  Colder tomorrow but weekend into the 40s.  Definately not going to fish day after thanksgiving like last year.  but have every confidence we will before too long.

Negley Farson
Going Fishing

Offline 1TIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SAFE ICE TO ALL !
« Reply #11 on: Nov 22, 2007, 11:46 AM »
Wont be long and Sandbilly will be here , Ask him for the info on the refuge lakes he's the one person you can trust for ice and safe conditions reports .

Offline walleye4

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice, Ice, BABY!!!!!!!!
« Reply #12 on: Nov 24, 2007, 11:28 PM »
I hear the water in Sherman Dam and the refuge lakes in Valentine are still in the upper 50's I'm guessing the first week in January for good ice !

Not sure who you get your info from but Sherman hasn't been above 50 for over a month.  Last I had heard was 2 weeks ago and it was 44 then.  Not sire about the refuge but can't see them being warmer than Sherman.  I seen a bunch of ponds today on the way to Johnson's Lake that were iced over.  I am thinking that I might be able to walk on ice before X-Mas around the Kearney area.  That is if we don't get a good warm spell.

OH NO, I have Jig-a-nitis!  Very deadly disease!!!

Offline hardh2ofish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Nov 25, 2007, 08:26 AM »
WELL :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:  I did it yesterday afternoon.....
...I got to walk on the water.      The mill pond here in V-town is iced over and despite the temp in the mid 40s I took my first step on the ice just before sundown.  Ice maybe just under 2" but good clear ice.  Granted I only went a couple steps out but its a step in the right direction.  :clap: :clap: 

Negley Farson
Going Fishing

Offline Sandbilly

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #14 on: Nov 26, 2007, 07:13 AM »
Wont be long and Sandbilly will be here ,

Made it 1TIGGER. Hope you had a good summer. From the pics Elmer sent, he did. :o

Hey Boji.....  I  think I have heard some not so great things about about the strike master lite 4-stroke.  All of them Ive heard on here so I dont think it would be all that hard to find.  If I remember right they might leak a little oil and you have to set them down right or gas or oil seeps into your cylinder  ???  Not sure of the problems specifically but I do remember some reports here on IS.  Might look around a little before you shell out five hundy. 

This will be my 3rd year running a Strike-Lite 4 stroke and I won't go back. Quiet, smooth, light weight, and it runs clean therefore you don't smell like a garage after cutting 30 holes. It has 2 rests on the handle so you always know which way to lay it down plus it helps keep the engine off the ice. I've transported, set, dropped, hauled on an ATV every which way without leakage problems of any kind. Maybe it's luck. The Robin engine they have on these is emissions certified, a criteria all small engines will have to meet in the near future.

I did have a Lazer 224 that would leak oil and gas if the compression relief valve was left open.

If the ice we have can withstand Tue (50* and 25mph winds), there should be fishable ice by Dec 1 around here. Last year our first ice outing was Dec 2nd, which is a week to 10 days later than the 16 year average I've kept since taking up this wacky sport. :( :(

dc

Offline adammd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Nov 26, 2007, 04:56 PM »
I have nothing to add here. 

BUT I AM F-ING READY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Hawken

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Nov 27, 2007, 04:55 PM »
We'll it didn't get to 50 degrees wanted to know if it will be good to go this weekend on Sat. might be willing to drive 2-3 hrs. to fish. 

Offline Sandbilly

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #17 on: Nov 27, 2007, 08:08 PM »
We'll it didn't get to 50 degrees wanted to know if it will be good to go this weekend on Sat. might be willing to drive 2-3 hrs. to fish. 

High of 47, 38 now. Smaller lakes didn't open up but it will take every bit of the forcast lows to make fishable ice by the weekend.

I'll keep you posted.

dc

Offline Hawken

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Nov 27, 2007, 10:30 PM »
I would appreciate that just curious what smaller lakes are you talking about.
John

Offline ice head

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Nov 27, 2007, 11:50 PM »
I've been watching the forecast every night and i hope that it stays as cold as it's supposed to this weekend and continues to get colder!  tried to go for some ducks on some smaller ponds around sherman last weekend and everything was iced over but the reservoir was still completely open.  it won't be long, i've been waiting for this for months!!!  :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Offline Sandbilly

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #20 on: Nov 28, 2007, 07:52 AM »
just curious what smaller lakes are you talking about.
John

WELL :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:  I did it yesterday afternoon.....
...I got to walk on the water.      The mill pond here in V-town is iced over and despite the temp in the mid 40s I took my first step on the ice just before sundown.  Ice maybe just under 2" but good clear ice.  Granted I only went a couple steps out but its a step in the right direction.  :clap: :clap: 

Smaller shallow lakes that don't have a lot of springs like the one hardh2ofish is talking about.

At home my first ice lakes are sand pits on the Middle Loup River valley that stay shaded most of the day and Marsh Lake N of Mullen.

In years past when first ice would be around Thanksgiving, we would be in the Ord-Burwell area and fish sand pits on the North Loup River, sandhill lakes Hagan, Cozad's, Twin, Cameron, or Frazier Lake. 3 years ago we were able to get on Davis Creek (carefully).

dc

Offline Hawken

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Nov 28, 2007, 07:16 PM »
Is Cameron lake still around caught my first fish through the ice there as a boy it was a master angler perch its on my wall now.  I havn't seen it in the NE fishing guide book also I heard from Daryl that Twin Lakes winter killed and has recently been restocked.  The wind around the Omaha area has killed alot of being ice around here maybe a big comeback with this weather coming.  Checked anything out there yet Sandbilly even if there was I'm looking at a 4-5 hr. drive from Council Bluffs maybe need to check with somebody up about 2hrs north on I-29.  I only got Sat. to fish if not I just wait patiently. 

Offline hardh2ofish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Nov 30, 2007, 06:45 AM »
Tuesday a co-worker and I walked out on the Mill Pond and drilled our first hole,  ice was 3 1/2".  So Im reasonably certain we can find some fishable ice somewhere around here.  I think buddies dad and him are going to check out the narrows at Merrit.  Will report back after this weekend.  3 deg right now here in Valentine.  Hope we dont get 6 plus inches of snow like may be forecast for us.  Good luck and be safe if you get out this weekend.

Negley Farson
Going Fishing

Offline adammd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Nov 30, 2007, 09:17 AM »
Just an FYI, checked Omaha last night ::), a silt pond had about 3/4 of an inch, and the coves lake zorinsky were half open.  Did get to 52 yesterday, but soon. 

I will be up in Sioux City this weekend.  If anyone has fishable ice and wants to take me, I will be more than happy to join ya.  Need to try out the new fl-18, and don't live in the area so I will not be stealing your fishing hole. ;D ;D  I would be open Sat or Sun!!!!!!

Sandbilly, how small of lakes are you looking at.  I have a farm pond near Ponca, but don't know that its small enough.  It has no trees around it to break the wind, but not sure how windy its been 'up north' anyway.  I plan on checking it out regardless. 

adam

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Nov 30, 2007, 03:04 PM »
hey Adam...been a while.  You should be ok I think...by Sunday for sure as long as we dont' get a bunch of snow.

I' m looking to try out some new stuff....if you want a partner give me a PM.  Satirday I'm going to check out Scheels sale unless the roads are absolutely horrific...trying to decide if I'm going to get a one man otter lodge or a 2-man clam.  Thinking the otter lodge since they are so discounted...in any event, shanty cold is a ways a way..this here is bucket sittin weather.

Offline adammd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Nov 30, 2007, 04:00 PM »
hey Adam...been a while.  You should be ok I think...by Sunday for sure as long as we dont' get a bunch of snow.

I' m looking to try out some new stuff....if you want a partner give me a PM.  Satirday I'm going to check out Scheels sale unless the roads are absolutely horrific...trying to decide if I'm going to get a one man otter lodge or a 2-man clam.  Thinking the otter lodge since they are so discounted...in any event, shanty cold is a ways a way..this here is bucket sittin weather.

Are you in Sioux City (noticed you mentioned Scheels???)?  Oh yeah, Scheels has a new add coming out Sunday with a bunch of ice stuff on sale, was told that yesterday. 

I am all for heading out, plan on bringing my hut/vex/rods with me back to Sioux City.  I would prefer to go around there, but talking with another about heading to Storm Lake on Sun, where there may be some good ice.  All kind of depends on the weather/storm coming in.  I will check this site for sure on Sat to see what its looking like. 

:tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Dec 03, 2007, 09:57 AM »
Hey Adam...you get out this weekend?  I was indoors on Sat with the skating rink-like ice conditions on the road.  Did get to Scheels....grabbed some decent deals on line and rattling spoons.  And the foam bobbers were only $1.00 each....for a 4" piece of foam and a plastic clasp!!   Wow...how can they sell the that cheap???  ??? >:(

Still shopping for a new hut....had a 3 man clam with the sled and 3 seat for $599...kind spendy...but it was nice  ;D

Offline adammd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Dec 04, 2007, 11:33 AM »
Yeah, my trip was screwed up when I was called back to Omaha after the wife found the furnace crapped out about 11pm on Sat, but after dealing with that Sun AM we headed north and go a few hours of fishing in.  Ice had us stuck in a marina only, pretty shallow too, and crazy wind that kept us stuck in one spot (have a shappel, hard to get frozen down in heavy winds, once we got it secured we were not moving).  Got a pair of eyes, one dink on one 15in, but we bounced 4-5 more loose on our holes, a couple were decent too.  Maybe too excited and playing them to quick, plus in 7 ft of water a yank and couple reels and they are already up.  Was good to get out though.  Hopefully we get some colder weather down here, spent more time driving than sitting on the ice. 

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Dec 04, 2007, 03:21 PM »
Nice...just ordered my Otter Den 1-man....looks dialed in.  We'll see I guess...no returns!  Yikes.  Oh well...so i'm dialed in.  12 chubby darters, 11 tip ups, 10 perch a perchin....etc etc....I do have a sick amount of gear now.  From a homemade hut and hand auger to...god knows who now.  Pick up my 4stroker Strikemaster this weekend...now..all I need is an ATV.  I live in town though - no place to store it.  Wonder what I guy could get into a decent reliable on for...as in "I don't know anthing about engines or maintenance"  $3000 to spend on one I suppose.  (sold my boat this summer :-()

Offline ryno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ditch the bobbers and get a 'tight line'
« Reply #29 on: Dec 04, 2007, 08:29 PM »
mite be headn to willow north of halsey tomorrow. got a report that 5'' today and they caught several perch. got the ice fishin bug and got to get out. never fished this lake before so any need to know tricks or info would be appereciated.
]

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.