Author Topic: Yellow Perch  (Read 15492 times)

Offline whitetips

• Team IceShanty Addict
Daryl Bauer
Fisheries Outreach Program Manager
Nebraska Game & Parks Commission
[email protected]
http://neblandvm.outdoornebraska.gov/category/barbs-and-backlashes/

Offline Uplandhuntr

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Yellow Perch
« Reply #1 on: Jan 28, 2016, 05:23 PM »
Can't get the link to work on this site or the 'other' one.  I can't wait to read it. ;D

Offline whitetips

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 29, 2016, 12:11 PM »
Still not working?

How about this?

http://magazine.outdoornebraska.gov/2016/01/yellow-perch/

Daryl B.
Daryl Bauer
[email protected]

Offline Keith Walters

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 29, 2016, 02:27 PM »
Opens right up for me.

Keith

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #4 on: Jan 29, 2016, 02:54 PM »
Thanks for the good read! I noticed at the end of the article someone said that the fisheries of the state don't do enough stocking to satisfy the wants of the fisher folks out there. I am guessing that the guy just wants what he wants. From what the article said the waters in the south east part of the state will not support a viable population for a good perch fishery. I am pretty sure Fremont lakes are included.
Just saying that there are plenty of really fine fishing opportunities in this state, and the game and parks and the work that they do is the biggest reason we have what we have! Sorry for going on and on but, it's not like the game and parks go out of there way to keep people in on part of the state from catching a particular fish.

Keep it safe! JDL

Offline Uplandhuntr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 29, 2016, 06:06 PM »
Still not working?

How about this?

http://magazine.outdoornebraska.gov/2016/01/yellow-perch/

Daryl B.

Checked it before work and it still was a 404....at lunch it worked.  Thanks.

Opens right up for me.

Keith

When the link was fixed I suspect it worked for everyone....lol.

Interesting that the yellow perch that are 'accidentally' stocked with the walleyes survive and actually thrive.  One would have thought that, the way the state writes all yellow perch stocking off, they would have been eaten right up by the large mouth bass.  If one or two can make it through the gauntlet of predators to a catchable size I can't help but wonder what a few thousand might turn into.

Also interesting that the Game and Parks sees fishermen travelling great distances for quality fishing as a detriment.  Some states see that as a positive thing both for selling of licenses and for the $$ generated in tax revenue for every dollar spent on the trip.

Oh, well.  Guess it just won't work in Nebraska.

Off to Iowa and South Dakota we go.....and Kansas. (Insert sarcasm smiley that we would both like to have available).

Offline Clunk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 30, 2016, 05:36 PM »
I agree.. South Dakota is putting Nebraska to shame in all areas of the Great Outdoors...  I dont see Nebraska Doing much as far as Upland hunting granted there are Public lands that hold a few but If I have to drive a couple hours to find a pheasant I would much rather drive North and Spend the 100.00 for a permit and kill some birds on a long weekend..  Fishing is the same way it amazes me the amount of Nebraska Trucks up in the Glacier lakes area of South Dakota the people that travel North. 
When I was a kid we would walk fence lines, crp and waterways and always kill birds.. Now we have Nothing..   :'(
Maybe a rookie at this game but willing to travel for the BITE....
Jiffy Pro4 8 in auger Clam Yukon Marcum LX 5 Muck boots. Xwife got the 4wheeler so I'm dragging it if I cant drive on the lake....

Offline whitetips

• Team IceShanty Addict
Daryl Bauer
[email protected]

Offline jthod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 01, 2016, 08:32 PM »
One weekend in South Dakota.

I'll be heading up there in a few weeks.  It might not be greener, but it's certainly got more gold.

Offline Uplandhuntr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 02, 2016, 12:32 AM »
http://magazine.outdoornebraska.gov/2014/09/grass-always-greener/

Daryl B.

Repeating it doesn't make it true.  If Nebraska can stock walleye there is more than enough water, habitat, water temperature, and obviously desire (in your own words you stated people will drive for a good perch bite) for yellow perch.

Maybe someday.

Offline philipNguyen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 02, 2016, 04:57 AM »
Wow that's a great bunch of yellow perch, here in Colorado we got some perch too, but they are not really big. Don't mind if I ask what lake in South Dakota? I used to live in Omaha, and we always drive to South Dakota to fish there. It's not really far from Omaha, and I really miss that states. But I was hoping I could make a 1 time a year over there.

Offline Sandbilly

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #11 on: Feb 02, 2016, 08:53 AM »
We ice fish SoDak every year for lake trout. I'll stick to NE for yellow perch.

dc

Offline Derag2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 02, 2016, 09:16 AM »
A bad day of fishing in south Dakota is a great day of fishing in nebraska......  Made my first trip to waubay this year, let's just say it won't be the last.

Offline jthod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 02, 2016, 09:22 AM »

dc

For me, it's a 6 hour drive to the Valentine area.  Or its 5 1/2 to Webster.  With the amount of public waters available, hard for me to pass up SD.

I still make it to Valentine, and going this weekend in fact, but there are only a handful of public waters to fish.  It's where I got hooked on ice fishing, and we still make a trip or two out there with out kayaks in open water too.  If I had access to some of the private waters in the sandhills, it may bring my that way more, but I don't.

For me, it's also the possibilities.  It's not uncommon to catch 5-6 species in a weekend, with a couple scoring 7 or more.

Wow that's a great bunch of yellow perch, here in Colorado we got some perch too, but they are not really big. Don't mind if I ask what lake in South Dakota? I used to live in Omaha, and we always drive to South Dakota to fish there. It's not really far from Omaha, and I really miss that states. But I was hoping I could make a 1 time a year over there.

Most of those were from Waubay over New Years weekend.

Offline Uplandhuntr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 02, 2016, 10:47 AM »

dc

Love SD GF&P's willingness to think outside the box, such as chinook salmon and rainbows in Oahe.  You are lucky to be out in perch country, and a short trip up to the Black Hills for trout. 

Offline Uplandhuntr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 02, 2016, 10:49 AM »
For me, it's a 6 hour drive to the Valentine area.  Or its 5 1/2 to Webster.  With the amount of public waters available, hard for me to pass up SD.

I still make it to Valentine, and going this weekend in fact, but there are only a handful of public waters to fish.  It's where I got hooked on ice fishing, and we still make a trip or two out there with out kayaks in open water too.  If I had access to some of the private waters in the sandhills, it may bring my that way more, but I don't.

For me, it's also the possibilities.  It's not uncommon to catch 5-6 species in a weekend, with a couple scoring 7 or more.

Most of those were from Waubay over New Years weekend.

Ive heard Poinsett can be hot for perch this winter as well and quite a bit shorter round trip time, although the crowds are already there.  You know what they say, people will travel for a good perch bite.

Offline whitetips

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Feb 02, 2016, 11:06 AM »
Repeating it doesn't make it true.  If Nebraska can stock walleye there is more than enough water, habitat, water temperature, and obviously desire (in your own words you stated people will drive for a good perch bite) for yellow perch.

Maybe someday.

So we are supposed to keep stocking yellow perch where they do not produce viable fisheries?

Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results does not make it true either.

Daryl B.
Daryl Bauer
[email protected]

Offline whitetips

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Feb 02, 2016, 11:09 AM »
Love SD GF&P's willingness to think outside the box, such as chinook salmon and rainbows in Oahe.  You are lucky to be out in perch country, and a short trip up to the Black Hills for trout.

"Outside the box"?  We have stocked chinook salmon in Nebraska waters as recently as the 1990's.  That did not work.

We have an excellent tailwater trout fishery in Lake Ogallala.

How many wipers does SoDakota have?

You will be seeing tiger trout in more Nebraska waters in the coming months.

SoDakota has not cornered the market on thinking outside the box.

I spent a couple of years in SoDakota, I am fully aware of the fisheries they have. . . . And, I am fully aware of how much different their habitats are compared to what we have in Nebraska.

And no amount of stocking can change that.

Daryl B.
Daryl Bauer
[email protected]

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #18 on: Feb 02, 2016, 02:16 PM »
Man! Don't blame game and parks for the conditions that prevent a good yellow perch fishery in southern portions of Nebraska! Game and parks can't do anything about water temps in the fairly shallow lakes. And don't blame them for the farming practices that have degraded the habitat that used to provide places for the birds to raise their young! And don't forget that game and parks can only spend the money that the state gives them! I am guessing that if they could stock lakes with yellow perch that would survive they would. Given the fact that they have to do as much as they can with the cash they get, they spend it on the fish that will thrive in our waters.
Next time you think about taking your loved ones out for a day of catching some nice gills or crappie, tell them your going to have to take a drive cause game and parks don't give the people of Nebraska any good fishing.

Keep it safe! JDL

Offline Sandbilly

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #19 on: Feb 02, 2016, 03:38 PM »
  You are lucky to be out in perch country, and a short trip up to the Black Hills for trout.

There are benefits to living out in the sticks.  ;D

I understand the distance thing for sure. Spent several years ice fishing other states and still make a trek or two when time allows. Bar none, Nebraska holds it own for game fish through the ice.

All on NE public waters this season.

I think the G&P is doing a great job managing the lakes I fish. Do think the people exploiting some of these lakes need to do a better job of managing what they put in their bucket. Nebraska does not do creel surveys in the winter. That would be interesting. Think the reg changes on Rat & Beaver will be interesting and hopefully open a few eyes. Our Sandhill lakes are unique fisheries. Unfortunately too few understand that.

dc

Offline EyeDoc

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Eyes by day, Eyes by night.
« Reply #20 on: Feb 02, 2016, 03:54 PM »
A bad day of fishing in south Dakota is a great day of fishing in nebraska......  Made my first trip to waubay this year, let's just say it won't be the last.

Exactly. Your FIRST trip. If you fish those lakes long enough....you will eventually find them cruel. I have fished that country 3 times this winter....and have never had a good day on Waubay lake. I have had some outstanding days on many other lakes up that way. But your statement you made...simply isn't true. If you fish up there enough times (it may be your next trip) then you will have a stinker and it is a lonely feeling look at all that water wondering where the fish are....... There is some amazing water up that way. That being said I am going to focus on Nebraska a lot more this year for walleye. I fished both states last year and caught way more big walleye out of Nebraska waters.

Offline marknpanfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 02, 2016, 04:01 PM »
 Too bad them Glaciers didn't come down towards Grand Islands, then we might have more water. I think most of us would like more water.

Offline jthod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Feb 02, 2016, 04:28 PM »
Exactly. Your FIRST trip. If you fish those lakes long enough....you will eventually find them cruel. I have fished that country 3 times this winter....and have never had a good day on Waubay lake. I have had some outstanding days on many other lakes up that way. But your statement you made...simply isn't true. If you fish up there enough times (it may be your next trip) then you will have a stinker and it is a lonely feeling look at all that water wondering where the fish are....... There is some amazing water up that way. That being said I am going to focus on Nebraska a lot more this year for walleye. I fished both states last year and caught way more big walleye out of Nebraska waters.

If people were more adventurous, and less patient like me, you just lake hop.  Waubay isn't working?  (which it usually isn't for me)  Take a 10 minute drive to another great lake. 

I will say I have had some rough trips up there, but man, when they are good, they are GREAT.

Offline EyeDoc

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Eyes by day, Eyes by night.
« Reply #23 on: Feb 02, 2016, 04:33 PM »
If people were more adventurous, and less patient like me, you just lake hop.  Waubay isn't working?  (which it usually isn't for me)  Take a 10 minute drive to another great lake. 

I will say I have had some rough trips up there, but man, when they are good, they are GREAT.

Thats what keeps me going back. :)

Offline sdredhead

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Feb 02, 2016, 08:18 PM »
I'm from Nebraska originally and I think one of the biggest problems that faces the waters of the state are just pure overfishing in a lot of the would be great fisheries in the eastern part.  Originally being from the eastern part I know this for a fact, but a lot of the not so common lakes are often some of the better ones.  Especially through the ice.  Making a trek west can often be a fun and productive trip.  And I seen someone mention that they don't have access to private lakes out west, but that shouldn't really be a concern.  Plenty of great public lakes.  However, you will never get permission if you never ask.  With all of that being said, South Dakota does have a lot more opportunities in the state for some great fishing.  Two reasons are the main factors in my opinion.  1) Lots and lots of glacial lakes and 2)  A lot of less pressure on these lakes when compared to the eastern third of Nebraska.  Basically, don't blame the game and parks because they have a lot more to overcome in Nebraska.
My wife can't be mad, it's her uncle that got me hooked!

Offline foamy8

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Feb 03, 2016, 09:45 AM »
Hey Daryl,

Question for you but don't want to hijack, the thread.  What is the thought process behind putting tiger trout in some of the streams out west?  Was talking to my friend the other day and they put tiger trout in one of the creeks that goes through his property.  The last couple of years it was cutthroats.  Some evidence suggests that cutthroats may have been native, but rainbows and browns were brought in. 

Being from the west originally, I love a good trout stream.  I wonder if browns wouldn't be a bit more hardy for some of the sandhills creeks that are being stocked with tiger?  The river otters must be having a grand time with those tasty trout that are planted.  They're fun to see play around.  No complaints here, just wondering why tiger trout?

and for the record, there are no perch or pheasants in Nebraska.  Keep going to SoDak.   ::)

Offline whitetips

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Feb 03, 2016, 11:36 AM »
Hey Daryl,

Question for you but don't want to hijack, the thread.  What is the thought process behind putting tiger trout in some of the streams out west?  Was talking to my friend the other day and they put tiger trout in one of the creeks that goes through his property.  The last couple of years it was cutthroats.  Some evidence suggests that cutthroats may have been native, but rainbows and browns were brought in. 

Being from the west originally, I love a good trout stream.  I wonder if browns wouldn't be a bit more hardy for some of the sandhills creeks that are being stocked with tiger?  The river otters must be having a grand time with those tasty trout that are planted.  They're fun to see play around.  No complaints here, just wondering why tiger trout?

and for the record, there are no perch or pheasants in Nebraska.  Keep going to SoDak.   ::)

Some of the thought process has been that we tried raising some tiger trout, they have been relatively easy to raise, let's see how they do after they are stocked.  We are not planning to completely quit raising and stocking cutthroats, but I can tell you those fish are more wild and harder to raise.

The browns do very well in many of our cold-water streams, in fact so well that we do not need to stock them at all because natural reproduction is more than enough to maintain populations without stocking.

Daryl B.
Daryl Bauer
[email protected]

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #27 on: Feb 03, 2016, 12:10 PM »
It is always cool when a stocked population starts reproducing! That must make the fisheries folks pretty happy!

Keep it safe! JDL

Offline nate95366

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Feb 03, 2016, 07:48 PM »
It is always cool when a stocked population starts reproducing! That must make the fisheries folks pretty happy!

Keep it safe! JDL

That's how common carp got their start I hear...

Very happy indeed.

;D

Offline warrior1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Feb 03, 2016, 09:54 PM »
Daryl I don't think wipers are a good argument to compare your work to South Dakota.   ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.