Author Topic: Otter Cabin  (Read 9187 times)

Offline grizzlyhackle

• Team IceShanty Addict
Otter Cabin
« on: Nov 25, 2014, 09:55 AM »
I'm planning on selling my Nanook thermal (bought in Jan and only used like 5-6 times) and upgrade to an Otter cabin. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with the xt650 and xt1200? I am leaning towards the xt650 and like the idea of the bench seat, but don't want to be sitting in negative temps in SD wishing I had bought the 1200. Any advice/guidance is appreciated!

Offline BBQMAN

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wishin I Was Fishin
Re: Otter Cabin
« Reply #1 on: Nov 25, 2014, 11:11 AM »
Grizz, I have not had mine out yet but I just put my cabin together last night  very well built and fairly easy to put together.  I really like the full thermo I went with the 1200 because I liked the the idea of removing the seat for more room if needed and if i was the only one going I could make it lighter. If you want you can come check it out for size and Quality, didn't no if you had seen one in person yet. The other thing about it I liked it will fit in the back of my truck with the tannel cover on and that is a big plus for me.
My Daddy always said keep it simple stupid. Words to live by

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #2 on: Nov 25, 2014, 11:21 AM »
All I have to say is that you might (as you indicated) regret not going with the full thermal; but you won't regret going with the full thermal.

Offline jhill

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 25, 2014, 12:02 PM »
i have identical plans...have a Nanook thermal for a few yrs, with one chair in it...wanted higher sled and ceiling, but couldn't get rid of the super light Nanook...gave it to my dad to use a while. haha.

Last yr I got the XT650 Lodge  with the bench.  Love the bench.  Took it out couple times last yr, once in -20 (north MN) with wind...the double walls worked great...a little frost, but not bad.  For the cost and weight savings the 650 is great.  If you're ONLY fishing out of porties all winter though, and have the $$...the full thermal is the way to go.  Less wind flap, more comfortable...

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #4 on: Nov 25, 2014, 12:20 PM »
8lbs. difference between the two.  I'll bet it's in the seat(s) more than the fabric.

Offline grizzlyhackle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Nov 25, 2014, 12:56 PM »
Man, now you guys got me thinking...I may just suck it up and spend the extra cash up front, just have a bad feeling I will be kicking myself for not going with 1200. Thanks for all the feedback

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #6 on: Nov 25, 2014, 01:23 PM »
Man, now you guys got me thinking...I may just suck it up and spend the extra cash up front, just have a bad feeling I will be kicking myself for not going with 1200. Thanks for all the feedback

You will be way more comfortable.  Especially in the wind.

Offline wolffpack08

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 25, 2014, 01:38 PM »
I have the otter lodge with black camo.   It has the thermal top and it helps alot.  I use a big buddy heater and have never been cold.  Only complaint is the noise of the sides flapping in the wind.  A friend had a frabil full thermal and it makes a lot less noise. 

Offline grizzlyhackle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Nov 25, 2014, 02:54 PM »
1200 it is! I'm going to order it tonight after I get off work, hopefully will be here in time for my next trip. I appreciate the candid and honest feedback

Offline guthook1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 25, 2014, 03:11 PM »
Got the 1200 Cabin with the dual seats, extremely well built with square poles that slide in and out easily - plan on using one seat and stashing the second one if alone - love that I can stand up in it and stretch a bit (went from a Clam Scout).  I will be pulling it behind either my Skidoo Tundra or the ATV.  So far it's sitting in the pole building waiting for safe ice - too heavy to drag by hand.
bestfishes - jim

Offline coldwillie11

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Nov 25, 2014, 07:25 PM »
I have bthe xt650 and was in SD several times  last year with no issues. I use a cooker/heater and have it turned as low as it will go and still get hot in just a sweatshirt. I really like the bench seat as i can keep more stuff handy. Only thing i did different during assembly was move the bench forward a couple inches so a 6 gallon bucket fir better behind. Just my thoughts.

Offline swampdonkeyice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Nov 26, 2014, 09:40 AM »
I own the 1200, best house I have ever owned, easy load with one person, and its amazing the difference the thermal package makes.  Reeds sporting goods is by far the best, and cheapest place to order them from.

Offline grizzlyhackle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Nov 26, 2014, 10:59 AM »
I spent the extra money and ordered the 1200 last night, glad to hear the positive feedback. Was planning on grabbing a hyfax kit and cover before it gets here. Other than putting the hyfax on prior to putting the shelter together, are there any other tips on putting on the hyfax?

I own the 1200, best house I have ever owned, easy load with one person, and its amazing the difference the thermal package makes.  Reeds sporting goods is by far the best, and cheapest place to order them from.

I know if it can withstand the trips up north catching those pig greenbacks it will be good for me  :tipup:

Thanks again ice brothers

Offline GrabLifeByTheGills

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Nov 26, 2014, 11:13 AM »
Grizz I have a heat gun that might help soften the hyfax to bend them around the front of the sled

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #14 on: Nov 26, 2014, 11:41 AM »
When you drill the holes for the hyfax -  make the size so you can "thread" the bolts into the sled base.  That way it will be way easier to put the washers and nuts on.  Use an impact driver and you won't even have to hold the heads.  Maybe use some silicone on the holes too.
You're going to like that shelter.

Offline river rat78

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Nov 26, 2014, 12:04 PM »
There was actually a video on youtube of a guy putting on hyfax runners to his otter sled. Might be worth checking out.

Offline IceHutt

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Keep & bear arms.Assume nothing.Fish & hunt often!
« Reply #16 on: Nov 30, 2014, 09:36 PM »
Ordered an Otter Pro XT 1200 Resort a few days ago.  They are on backorder.  I fish sometimes with another person and grandkids and wanted something that will be comfortable and hold in the heat.  I just hope that it is not too heavy of a unit.  Any comments on that unit?  Thanks.

Offline river rat78

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Dec 01, 2014, 08:54 AM »
Ordered an Otter Pro XT 1200 Resort a few days ago.  They are on backorder.  I fish sometimes with another person and grandkids and wanted something that will be comfortable and hold in the heat.  I just hope that it is not too heavy of a unit.  Any comments on that unit?  Thanks.

Hope you have a machine to pull it. At 145lbs that's going to be a pain to pull. And that is without any gear added.

Offline Cotacatchers

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • No Bad Day on Ice
« Reply #18 on: Dec 01, 2014, 10:08 AM »
looked at the 1200  a month ago in Chi .  while traveling man was that unit heavy .
exactly why i sold my Predator .
like Rver Rat said hope you have a machine or a good back.

Sounds Like it will fit the bill . good luck

Offline grizzlyhackle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Dec 04, 2014, 06:30 AM »
My Cabin finally came in and so far I am very impressed! I spent some time last night putting on the hyfax and sealing the threads/bolts with silicone. I got the seat rail put on, but was kind of confused on the seats and how they attach, as the directions aren't very clear. I hope I am just over thinking it.

For anyone with the 1200 or that has experience putting them together, is this how they are supposed to sit? Any help is greatly appreciated, I just want to make sure that I don't mess anything up or have to backtrack steps. Thanks!

Trev

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #20 on: Dec 04, 2014, 07:25 AM »
In the second PIC- the one that is tipped up is on correctly.  If they don't set on the edge of the sled correctly, you don't have the aluminum bar located correctly.

Offline grizzlyhackle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Dec 04, 2014, 07:29 AM »
In the second PIC- the one that is tipped up is on correctly.  If they don't set on the edge of the sled correctly, you don't have the aluminum bar located correctly.

In both pics they were sitting the same way, they are sitting on the front sled rail fully and the back of the seat bracket is sitting on top of the seat rail, but they are not clicked in?

In the 2nd picture with the one tipped up, I just lifted it up and it sat it in the aluminum rail. Are they supposed to click into the rail and then fold down? I thought it was going to break it when I tried to force it in?

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #22 on: Dec 04, 2014, 07:31 AM »
In both pics they were sitting the same way - in the 2nd picture with the one tipped up, I just lifted it up and it sat in the aluminum rail. Are they supposed to click into the rail and then fold down? I thought it was going to break it when I tried to force it in?

Correct - slip it onto the rail and rotate it down to rest on the edge of the sled.

Offline grizzlyhackle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Dec 04, 2014, 07:38 AM »
This is a pic with it just leaning up on the seat rail....if I try to push it forward from that position it will just bend the rail forward? So do I need to have the end caps off of the seat rail and then slide it in that way and then put the end caps back on? I just don't understand why it is not better detailed in the instructions?

Offline swampdonkeyice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Dec 04, 2014, 07:42 AM »
That is correct, the seat rotates on the aluminum bar just as you have it.   Then rotate forward to rest on the sled.  They are fairly tight at first, try a little WD-40, and hold the aluminum rail as you rotate them for the first couple times.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #25 on: Dec 04, 2014, 07:46 AM »
This is a pic with it just leaning up on the seat rail....if I try to push it forward from that position it will just bend the rail forward? So do I need to have the end caps off of the seat rail and then slide it in that way and then put the end caps back on? I just don't understand why it is not better detailed in the instructions?

No you should not remove the end caps from the rail.  Those are supposed to be made so you can remove them from the shelter.  If they will not rotate down - I'd call Otter Customer Service to find out what's up.  On mine, I can tip them up, put them onto the rail and rotate them down, relatively easily.  They do have "tight" spot in the rotation.  Are you sure there's no (mold slag) on the inside of those arms, that would make it difficult to roll down?  I can't get a picture of mine right now - it's out in Maine with one of my sons.

Offline grizzlyhackle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Dec 04, 2014, 08:03 AM »
Thanks for the replies fellas, I really appreciate it! I will try forcing them on when I head home over lunch, but last night I was trying to force them on and I swear the brackets were starting to bend....thanks for the WD40 tip swampdonkey I'll have to try that. I just don't want to make a mistake and mess anything up. Any other tips/ideas are greatly appreciated. Thanks again FISHFORPIKE and SD

Offline jwetovick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Dec 04, 2014, 09:13 AM »
Hey Grizz. Had a buddy that had the same issue when putting it together. Little WD40 and a lil growl we finally go it. Since the initial time being super snug it now works great. We thought we were going to break his crossbar too as much as it bent. They shouldn't probably make it so tough but oh well. Hopefully all works out as its a nice shack.

Offline grizzlyhackle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Dec 04, 2014, 10:43 AM »
Hey Grizz. Had a buddy that had the same issue when putting it together. Little WD40 and a lil growl we finally go it. Since the initial time being super snug it now works great. We thought we were going to break his crossbar too as much as it bent. They shouldn't probably make it so tough but oh well. Hopefully all works out as its a nice shack.

Thanks for the reply man, that is definitely reassuring to my paranoia

Offline BBQMAN

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wishin I Was Fishin
« Reply #29 on: Dec 04, 2014, 11:17 AM »
Grizz
They do say some where in the destruction to use WD40 on poles and seat slides for smoother use an to wipe excise off. When I was talking to the rep at the ice institute he said it will break in and become easier to move as time goes on.
My Daddy always said keep it simple stupid. Words to live by

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.