Author Topic: Merritt Fishing Report  (Read 12474 times)

Offline Mr Merritt

• Team IceShanty Regular
Merritt Fishing Report
« on: Jan 08, 2014, 10:13 AM »
After several days of extreme wind and temperatures I was more than ready to get out of the Trading Post and onto the ice yesterday. The fishing, while not fast and furious, stayed pretty steady most of the day. I fished only one brush patch in Boardman Creek but kept switching holes in that vicinity to keep the bite going. Although many of the crappie I caught were sub keepers, I did manage to catch 13 cleaners and a couple perch to fill out a limit. Many of the fish caught were suspending as much as 16-18 feet off the bottom. I probably should have done more moving around to try and find the larger crappie and perch I'm sure are out there but took a more leisurely approach and still managed to fill a ziplock with some tasty fillets.

I did have about 5 minutes of excitement from a big fish. I set the hook on a subtle bite and then felt I was snagged. After applying steady pressure the "snag" began peeling drag from my in-line Eagle Claw reel. After at least 5 minutes of more take than give, I had whatever it was within about a dozen feet of my hole. At that point the tension on my 3# line relaxed and I reeled in a small crappie with some really impressive bite marks.

In other news a group of 5 guys staying with me had a good outing on Home Valley lake catching good numbers of nice perch.

Offline Mr Merritt

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Merritt Fishing Report
« Reply #1 on: Jan 12, 2014, 09:38 AM »
 Some guys staying with me reported some action on Pelican lake in the Valentine refuge including one exceptional bluegill that easily qualified for master angler status. Action was not fast and furious with the better bite coming in the late afternoon.
 Some of the party did try Merritt in the evening and reported catching some 10-11 inch crappies out of Beeds Landing after dark.  Another party staying here said they had good action on perch in an un-named area lake. 

The forecast is calling for mild temperatures through the next weekend although a bit breezy during the early part of the week.  Looks like a good forecast to plan a hard water outing in the sandhills!

Offline Eastwesterner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 12, 2014, 06:42 PM »
Unnamed area lake. You really do want to protect your bass mr. Merritt.  Guessing devils punch bowl
Where's the ice

Offline hardh2ofish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 12, 2014, 06:50 PM »
Well they weren't at north marsh!   I had that one covered ;D

Fishing should be the exercise of your skills- and its rewards the places it brings you to
                                                                           Negley Farson
Going Fishing

Offline Mr Merritt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 13, 2014, 08:40 AM »
The parties reporting the perch action did not volunteer the name of the lake and out of respect I did not feel obliged to ask.  Although our area of the sandhills is not "around the corner and down the block" from anywhere, in this day and age of the internet and forums, word of a hot bite travels fast and far.  Other than Merritt, lakes in our area are not large or deep and the potential to be hurt from heavy pressure is certainly there.  If someone wants to share information with me I will post it honestly on the forum.  By the same token, if someone wants to share information with me but prefers not to have details broadcast or declines to mention full details I will respect that as well.

As to which lake the those guys were fishing there are several good candidates in the area but your guess is probably at least as good as mine.

Offline Mr Merritt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 16, 2014, 04:28 PM »
A local fisherman just stopped by and reported good action on homemade tip ups in the back of Boardman Creek today. The party of 3 iced 10 pike between 28 and 35 inches. They also had several hits that took line but were missed. Smelt and live chubs were used with the live chubs outfishing frozen bait by about 3 to 1. With todays extreme winds the back of Boardman Creek was likely the only possible fishing option. Given todays weather these guys earned every hit they got.
 Regardless of wind, if pike on Merritt were my goal I would still recommend that area. Thankfully the weekend forecast calls for much more moderate winds and pleasant temperatures.

Offline fishngolf

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The bigger the teeth, the better it gets!!!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 16, 2014, 07:42 PM »
A local fisherman just stopped by and reported good action on homemade tip ups in the back of Boardman Creek today. The party of 3 iced 10 pike between 28 and 35 inches. They also had several hits that took line but were missed. Smelt and live chubs were used with the live chubs outfishing frozen bait by about 3 to 1. With todays extreme winds the back of Boardman Creek was likely the only possible fishing option. Given todays weather these guys earned every hit they got.
 Regardless of wind, if pike on Merritt were my goal I would still recommend that area. Thankfully the weekend forecast calls for much more moderate winds and pleasant temperatures.

Sounds good on the pike, at what depth do most fisherman have the best luck with on pike. Just under the ice, half way down or towards the deep bottom?

Thanks for all the updates, always enjoy reading them.

Offline Mr Merritt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 17, 2014, 04:16 PM »
 The best depth to set tip ups in a deep lake like Merritt really does become the $60 question.  I have no pat answer but suggest you vary the sets when you start each day and adjust from there.  Each day can be different.

Offline Mr Merritt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 18, 2014, 09:58 AM »
Man what a weird weather pattern. Winds have blown hard every other day this week. Tues., Thurs., and now Saturday the winds have just howled with nice days on Wednesday and Friday. Several anglers took advantage of Fridays nice weather and had decent fishing on the refuge. One group fishing Hackberry had a nice batch of 'gills and a perch.

They told an odd fish story but one I do believe. A nearby group hooked a pike on a tip up. Just before they pulled the pike up through the hole a 15" bass jumped out of the hole onto the ice! Not hooked and no tooth marks. Can anyone top this for a "double"?

Offline Mr Merritt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 19, 2014, 09:22 AM »
Extreme winds forced most area fishermen to the back of Boardman Creek yesterday where there was some shelter from the gusts. I had reports of a couple northerns and a smattering of panfish, but the overall consensus was a slow bite, perhaps due to the frontal passage. Some guests reported rises or follows by fish on sonar screens but few bites.  Another group that fished out of the west Beeds access late in the day after the winds slowed a bit reported a few crappies up to 12" and from just 2 "lucky" holes over 20 catfish between 2 and 10 pounds. With luck conditions will improve today and allow anglers to check more areas to find some active fish.

One note of caution: the warm temps and high winds have opened some areas of the main lake adjacent to pressure ridges. The ice in Boardman Creek remains good. I would appreciate any reports on the Snake River Arm.

Offline Mr Merritt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 20, 2014, 12:46 PM »
A few locals have apparently found a consistent pattern for catching quality northern pike in Boardman Creek. Using tip ups baited with smelt or live chubs they have scored on 26 to 35 inch pike on their last two outings. Pictured on our facebook link is Steve Brown holding up a pair of 11# pike taken yesterday.

Some panfish, mainly crappies have been iced over the last couple of days with most describing the bite as slow. "There seem to be a lot more lookers than takers" said one of my anglers who found fish on his sonar. 

I would tend to blame the inconsistent bite on fast moving cold fronts that have caused high winds to blast us every other day since Tuesday.

Offline Cadogpt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 20, 2014, 08:46 PM »
What's the area ice report? Looking to do a trip up there Friday. Guys are concerned?

Offline Mr Merritt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 21, 2014, 08:44 AM »
Recent high winds did cause some open areas on the main lake at Merritt.  Reports from the Boardman Creek arm consistently say good ice and no open water.  Anglers going up the Snake arm Friday reported good (14")  ice with no pressure ridges at that time. Some drove up the trail while others put ATV's on at the Snake Ramp and drove up on the ice.  I would guess we may have lost a couple inches since then but should still be good to go.  Fishing in the upper snake was also reported to be good with decent numbers of 1-1.25 pound crappies with a few perch mixed in.

I did hear of some patches of open water on Hackberry.  I did not get reports on other refuge lakes but one might assume similar conditions.

Forecast lows through Thursday should stabilize and even add some ice.

Offline IceHutt

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Keep & bear arms.Assume nothing.Fish & hunt often!
« Reply #13 on: Jan 21, 2014, 09:53 AM »
Thanks for your reports.  We are still planning on coming up to fish there again this winter but work seems to keep getting in the way!  I do appreciate getting the business, even though it sometimes keeps me home.  By your timely updating of the reports, It keeps us that are a longer distance away abreast of the conditions to make planning easier for when it does work out to get away.  Thanks!  Regards,  D. Hutt

Offline grizzlyhackle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 22, 2014, 07:31 AM »
Recent high winds did cause some open areas on the main lake at Merritt.  Reports from the Boardman Creek arm consistently say good ice and no open water.  Anglers going up the Snake arm Friday reported good (14")  ice with no pressure ridges at that time. Some drove up the trail while others put ATV's on at the Snake Ramp and drove up on the ice.  I would guess we may have lost a couple inches since then but should still be good to go.  Fishing in the upper snake was also reported to be good with decent numbers of 1-1.25 pound crappies with a few perch mixed in.

I did hear of some patches of open water on Hackberry.  I did not get reports on other refuge lakes but one might assume similar conditions.

Forecast lows through Thursday should stabilize and even add some ice.

Thanks for the update John, I am hoping the majority of the Refuge has stayed locked up. Info on ice conditions from anyone that has been up there recently would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Mr Merritt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 22, 2014, 08:34 AM »
Thanks for your reports.  We are still planning on coming up to fish there again this winter but work seems to keep getting in the way!  I do appreciate getting the business, even though it sometimes keeps me home.  By your timely updating of the reports, It keeps us that are a longer distance away abreast of the conditions to make planning easier for when it does work out to get away.  Thanks!  Regards,  D. Hutt
I'm glad you find the reports useful.  Let me know how I can help you out when you're in the area too.

Offline IceHutt

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Keep & bear arms.Assume nothing.Fish & hunt often!
« Reply #16 on: Jan 23, 2014, 11:39 AM »
OK,  Thanks again.  Regards,  D. Hutt

Offline Mr Merritt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 24, 2014, 08:55 AM »
Windiest darn January I can remember.  Blustery conditions seem to be keeping fishermen around here off the ice.   No issues have been reported regarding ice conditions in the Snake and Boardman arms.  Fairly mild temps are forecast going into Sunday before another front arrives.  Those anglers not planning to fish the Cork Thornton Tourney on Big Alkali should find the crowds on Merritt and other area lakes thin.

Offline Mr Merritt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 27, 2014, 09:06 AM »
The Cork Thornton Memorial Ice tournament is in the books. The tourney site was moved from Big Alkali to the back stretches of Boardman Creek on Merritt Reservoir due to high winds forecast for the area. The morning began sunny with light winds and mild temperatures. By mid-morning clouds had moved in and a light rain started. The winds picked up in velocity and before the 2 PM end of competition snow showers and rapidly falling temperatures with gusting winds had most teams happy to leave the ice. 54 teams competed, and as always a few teams figured out a pattern to catch, measure, and release a nice variety of Merritt's fish. The winning team of Tom Mehrens and T.C. Colvin accumulated an astounding 47.5 pounds of fish anchored by a 43" northern pike that accounted for 21+ pounds on the paper measurement scale used for the tournament. The pikes actual weight was almost certainly even higher given the girth and condition of that fish. The top 20 teams all weighed better than 8.5 #'s. It took a variety of species including big bass and northern to cash checks at this event.

The top six teams and weights are;
 1.) Tom Mehrens and T.C. Colvin..........47.5#
 2.) Derek Thiele and Eric Allemang.......36.75#
 3.) Jon Heflin and Justin Heflin.............25. 4#
 4.) Zach Nadolski & Jim Hesse.............24.5 5#
 5.) Doug Hesse and Ty Tinant..............24 .50#
 6.) Marcus Dryak & Stan Dryak............19.45#

Congratulations to the winners and thanks for participating!

Offline hardh2ofish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Jan 27, 2014, 10:07 AM »
Cngrats to the winners  and all placers.  Yeah I talked to tommy this morning.  Still pretty pumped about catching that kind of fish. I wish I would have been close to where they were to go see it.  What a hog of a pike.  I would have preferred to stay at big alkali but ice conditions were getting pretty bad by the time we left sat.   I would not have wanted to be there when that wind hit sunday.  Still managed a top 10 finish and had a.good time and got to spend two days on the  ice with my daughter. 

Fishing should be the exercise of your skills- and its rewards the places it brings you to
                                                                           Negley Farson
Going Fishing

Offline Eastwesterner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 27, 2014, 11:01 AM »
Was a stressful change of venue but the right call.  Unreal fish that Tom and tc produced while being surrounded no less. I wish I could get back the three days spent watching fish on the camera at alkali.  Maybe I learned something though. Predator prey is extremely unbalanced in that lake. Saw more pike than perch. One year ago you could view a dozen perch in one screen with half the water clarity as this year.  No carp were seen by me under 3 lbs. the crappies were few and far between and clung in tight groups on small areas of stained water with uneven bottom. Fearing for their life I presume.  Until the pike get thinned down severely or an expansive brush project happens the stocking of anything fingerling in alkali will resemble feeding time at cabelas. 
Where's the ice

Offline whitetips

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Jan 27, 2014, 04:19 PM »
Was a stressful change of venue but the right call.  Unreal fish that Tom and tc produced while being surrounded no less. I wish I could get back the three days spent watching fish on the camera at alkali.  Maybe I learned something though. Predator prey is extremely unbalanced in that lake. Saw more pike than perch. One year ago you could view a dozen perch in one screen with half the water clarity as this year.  No carp were seen by me under 3 lbs. the crappies were few and far between and clung in tight groups on small areas of stained water with uneven bottom. Fearing for their life I presume.  Until the pike get thinned down severely or an expansive brush project happens the stocking of anything fingerling in alkali will resemble feeding time at cabelas.

Big Alkali is 850 acres of water.  If you could add enough "brush" to cover 85 acres, and that would be a lot of "brush", it still would not make a $0.05-worth of difference in terms of fish production.  Brush piles function as fish attractors that concentrate fish making them easy to find and catch.  In all but the smallest waters brush piles and similar cover projects provide little in terms of real habitat benefits.

Fish populations are dynamic.  The crappie, perch, pike and carp populations in Big Alkali have been through several cycles of ups and downs.  They will again.

Daryl B.
Daryl Bauer
Fisheries Outreach Program Manager
Nebraska Game & Parks Commission
[email protected]
http://neblandvm.outdoornebraska.gov/category/barbs-and-backlashes/

Offline Fish-icer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Jan 27, 2014, 05:21 PM »
Big Alkali is 850 acres of water.  If you could add enough "brush" to cover 85 acres, and that would be a lot of "brush", it still would not make a $0.05-worth of difference in terms of fish production.  Brush piles function as fish attractors that concentrate fish making them easy to find and catch.  In all but the smallest waters brush piles and similar cover projects provide little in terms of real habitat benefits.

Fish populations are dynamic.  The crappie, perch, pike and carp populations in Big Alkali have been through several cycles of ups and downs.  They will again.

Daryl B.
Would add cover for small fish to hide and give them a chance to grow. 

Offline fishrod

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Jan 27, 2014, 06:47 PM »
good job guys

Offline icedover

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Jan 27, 2014, 08:44 PM »
all  you have to do is tell people there are alot of pike  in there ( like I see you did ) and people will come from ALL over and fish it out like most people do so what you did was apparently help the situation.  It is happening again at a SMALL lake that I will not mention not to far from me.  It is just getting hammered every weekend so in a couple of years it will be cleaned out and people will start complaining that there are no fish to keep.  I for one had a wonderful time this past fall catching and releasing quite a few fish out of alkali and  plan on going back so Im glad the tourney was moved.  Time to get off my soap box, I am not trying to offend anyone just tired of hearing all this Talk about how to take care of our lakes and until true fisherman manage their own habbits we will always have problems finding good places to fish.

Offline bigfishon

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Jan 27, 2014, 08:49 PM »
Does anyone have a complete list of all the teams and there wights?

Offline Eastwesterner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 27, 2014, 09:56 PM »
1. Tom Mehrens/TC Colvin.        47.5
2. Derek Thiele/Eric Allemang    36.75
3. Jonathan Heflin/Justin Heflin. 25.4
4. Zach Nadolski/Jim Hesse.      24.55
5. Doug Hesse/Ty Tinant.          24.5
6. Marcus Dryak/Stan Dryak.    19.45
7. Leonard Phillips/Shepdog.     16.05
8. Brock Belik/Adam Schlecht.   15.10
9. Jason/Dale Hoebelhenrich.    14.5
10.Sam Dondlinger/Sunny        13.3
11.Rex Brown/Chad Allison.      12.55
12.Jim Elliott/Chris Elliott.         12.2
13.Brentin Lammers/Alex Rohde12.2
14.Grant Bitner/Brandon Bopp.  11.0
15.Robert Joseph/Riley Wrage.  10.30
16.Monte Mares/Scott Mares.     9.90
17.Tyrel Yager/Bill Weller           9.90
18.Jason Herz/Kent Kurtzer.       9.85
19.Jeremy Collison/L. Henderson8.65
20.Jason/Rylan Erickson            8.50
Where's the ice

Offline bigfishon

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Jan 27, 2014, 11:48 PM »
Thanks but where's the other 36.. ?

Offline hardh2ofish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Jan 28, 2014, 07:08 AM »
The list that Jim just posted is really all that the tourney directors handed out after the weigh in.  There's a possibility you could contact the valentine chamber of commerce and see if they have the full list.   Other than that we all got another print out of the top five teams and the money payouts for winning money, Calcutta money, and jockeys. 

Negley Farson
Going Fishing

Offline Sandbilly

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #29 on: Jan 28, 2014, 07:37 AM »
Congrats to all the placers. Good showing from IS members. Always a great time visiting with everyone although some of you are very bad influences the night before. ;)

My partner and I always struggle in the back of the Boardman. Missed our spot by 100 feet and didn't have enough patience to wait out the pike. Really like the C&R tourney format. It just makes sense. More work for those that run it. Last two years the weather has been good. We'll see how it works when temps are in single digits. Close to 700 fish were released during the Big Alkali tourney a year ago. Numbers won't be quite as high this year but several MA pike and bass are still swimming instead of going home in buckets. :tipup:

dc     

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.