Author Topic: AAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!! Cabelas rant.  (Read 8928 times)

Offline kylerprochaska

• Team IceShanty Regular
AAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!! Cabelas rant.
« on: Dec 18, 2013, 12:05 PM »
I've been wanting to get a flasher unit, so yesterday I got on the Cabelas sight.... Look at flashers, and see that they had a "limited stock" of Lowrance X67c ice machines for $199.99.  So after debating with myself I order one.  When I get the confirmation email it says "In stock - Estimated delivery December 24th", so today, I get back on Cabelas and track my order, only to find out that it now says "backordered"!!!  So I call customer service, and Im told that the item is backordered with an unknown delivery date....  **censored**!!!! 

Offline fishslap

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: AAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!! Cabelas rant.
« Reply #1 on: Dec 18, 2013, 12:27 PM »
Yea, they went from one of my favorite places to lower down on the list.  I tried to order a rifle from them on Friday and their "order guy" wasn't in until Monday.  He was supposed to call me back.  Never did.  I call back and can't get a human.  They finally call me back and need me to repeat everything I told the guys on Friday that was supposed to be passed along to the order guy for Monday.  Plus, the guys on Friday were comically confused about the deals in the add for this rifle, and confused about the rifle even though I printed the product sheet from the Browning site.  .......So.....another guy finally calls me back and says they've looked everywhere and can't find it.  Ok, I go online and order it from Gander Mountain to be shipped to store.  $100 cheaper, took 5 min to order, will be at store next week.

It's not about who's the best anymore, it's about who's not the worst....

There's my rant also.

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 18, 2013, 12:36 PM »
It's like trying to catch someone on the flying trapeze: You only get one shot!

It used to be that when, in those RARE occasions, when you had a problem with their products and your order, you could "talk" to someone in Customer Service and iron it all out!

Now it's a rare occurrance when you DON't have a problem with the store, their products, your order AND the Customer Service!!!! 

So much for pride in your job, work and company image???
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline gohawks

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 18, 2013, 01:02 PM »
One of the few luxuries of living in Omaha when you're an outdoorsman is that you have the availability to drive to either BassPro, Scheels, or Cabelas.  I put the stores in that order for a reason.  Best to worst.  Cabelas is disappointing when it comes to lure selection, accessories, or whatever!  When I'm fishin open water, I don't even bother going to Cabelas.  For ice fishing, I was just in there wanting to buy a MarCum vs385 because when I called they said they had it in stock.  When I got there, I saw that they only had 2 different models for both the MarCum and Vex and they were the higher end units.  I had to pull up their website on my phone to show it to the Cabela's ice fishing staff to show them the unit that I was talking about in order for them to walk me to the aisle where I was just standing to tell me they must not have that model.  I tried Scheels.  They had more units, actually had live bait (Cabela's entire wax worm delivery showed up dead/frozen) and I ended up getting the MarCum vs385 for $50 less ($299).  Usually wouldn't say anything if it was a rare occurrence but when you live in Omaha and you are always needing more jigs or bait...and you continually get the same level of service...it's not a hypothesis anymore at that point.  Only reason I didn't go to BassPro was because it was rush hour time and my patience was already gone.  For the Omaha area, Cabelas is only good for buying handguns because it's out of the Omaha city limits.
I thought I had the catch of a lifetime...then I threw her back so I could spend more time fishing  ;)

Offline CaptMo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 18, 2013, 03:03 PM »
I used to be a fan of Cabelas Hawk but not Im in the same boat.  Ill go to scheels or bass pro way before Cabelas.  PS.  Just heard from a friend that most lakes in and around Omaha only lost maybe a an inch of ICE over this HEAT WAVE.  Thank God the cooler weather will be back tonight.

Offline swampdonkeyice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 18, 2013, 03:06 PM »
A buddy and I both order the new otter thermal xt 1200 on the same exact day, his form cabelas, mine from reeds.  Ive been fishing out of mine for a week now, and his just showed up.......oh and mine was 100 cheaper.

Offline gohawks

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 18, 2013, 03:12 PM »
At least there was a little cloud cover today to keep the sun from really heating up the ice.  I was hoping to get out on Wehrspann and Standing Bear this weekend so we'll see how things work out.  7 day forecast for Omaha looks decent enough to hopefully gain back the ice that was lost.
I thought I had the catch of a lifetime...then I threw her back so I could spend more time fishing  ;)

Offline CaptMo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 18, 2013, 03:24 PM »
Good Luck Hawks!  Let me know how it goes.  Ill be up north fishing Buckskin Hills near Newcastle, NE!

Offline markacruciani

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 18, 2013, 03:26 PM »
It's not even listed anymore on their site unless you have the original link, I found one that said "sold out" vs. the normal backordered.   I've had this happen at least several times from them -- especially on prices that good.  It's a sign it's being phased out by them.

I'd call the number and have the order cancelled.   Checking all the other major players shows the x67c is still $249 so some lucky few got the last Cabelas ones for a good price.

Offline H82LUZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'!
« Reply #9 on: Dec 18, 2013, 03:33 PM »
The Cabelas Around me is an hour and a half drive. You bet I'm calling before I'm going that far. So, I make a call and they have what I'm looking for, per the customer service rep over the phone AT the store in the dept. I was heading for. Looking for a pivoting bipod for my 308. So my wife and daughter and I make an afternoon of it and head up. I had a few other odd and ends to get with gift cards I had. I get there and with the printed sheet in hand of what I was looking for, it's not there. There isn't even a spot for it where there hanging. I ask the guy behind the gun counter and show him the sheet, he puts in the part number. No big surprise what was coming, "we don't stock that one." "Could you please direct me to Colleen in customer service please." Well when I was done her the tears in her eyes were saying she was done with customer service. What few things I had got checked out and when they had the nerve to ask "Did you find everything you were looking for?" "Absolutely Not! And I will not be back!" There's a BassPro opening in February 2014 15 minutes north of me. THANK GOD!
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, National Guard or Reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life." Thank you to all of you.

Offline woody_22_bass

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 18, 2013, 04:04 PM »
Couldnt agree more with what everone has said, I refuse to go to this store. Time and time again I went there looking for some specifc items, nothing out of the ordinary and it never fails they dont have what im looking for then the staff trys to sell me a different brand of the same thing cause its better. Had a guy at the reel counter trying to sell me a reel n couldnt even tell me the diff. Between 5.1 and 7.0 gear ratio is. Rediculous!!! Ive got more but im done, see you at bps or scheels!

Offline rippin-lips

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 18, 2013, 07:43 PM »
I ordered a FL-28 from Cabelas. Had it in 3 days!
Scott Tincher
Clam Pro Staff. ~Power Stick~

Offline panfisher1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 18, 2013, 09:28 PM »
I have always had good luck with Cabelas. BUT I live along ways from any of the major stores listed, so all mail order. I will agree that lure selections suck for ice fishing, and prices are generally higher than competitors. But when selections are limited I guess I will stick with them for now.

Offline realtree3

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 19, 2013, 08:54 AM »
I completely agree, I absolutely hate going to Cabelas. It is ok if I know what I am looking for (and they actually carry it there, which it seems a lot of times they do not have the variety of the other stores mentioned above), but if you have to ask for any assistance, it is a joke, I will turn around and walk out of the door and drive to BP or back home to Scheels in Lincoln. It also seems that the rare occurances that I have spoken to an employee about something in one of their ads, that I knew more about it than they did. Maybe I am a little crazy here, but I should not know more about the ad and products you have than an employee, just sayin.

Offline bigfishon

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 19, 2013, 09:06 AM »
At least I'm not the only one who has problems with Cabelas!

Offline viciouscircle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • sure its thick enough to hold our weight, after u
« Reply #15 on: Dec 19, 2013, 09:11 AM »
Don't know where they are 'backordering more from…those units are a discontinued Lowrance product. Hope you get yours…..LOVE MINE!
   "SAY HELLO TO MY LITTLE FRIEND!"

Offline SoDakdick

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 19, 2013, 09:19 AM »
I trie to stay out of there because they wouldn't sell my wife a gun because her address on her ID wasn't current. So we went to scheels and spent more on a new gun.
Keep your stick on the ice we are all in this together.

Offline GrabLifeByTheGills

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 19, 2013, 09:25 AM »
Why is it you can post a rant about cabelas and when I post something about a sale at cabelas I get repramanded and have to have a ice shanty mod approve my post for 2 weeks

Offline Eastwesterner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 19, 2013, 09:47 AM »
Because cabelas is not a sponsor. I buy jigs and line online from a non sponsor and have named the site. It gets politely removed when detected. Name of the game. Don't be offended art. I prefers scheels to cabelas myself. But I'm biased. I ve fished with their managers and a lot of them know there stuff. I've dealt with you before and you share the passion for ice fishing that many of us have. You are just one person and a very small representation of the corporation as helpful as you are.
Where's the ice

Offline dnyelator

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Dec 19, 2013, 11:53 AM »
Most of this thread surprises me.  IMO. it depends entirely on your situation and the item you are after.  I buy stuff from all three and rarely have an issue.  Probably the worst issue I've ever had was I was at BP wanting to look at a gun and waited for over 30 minutes to talk to an employee at the gun counter.  I had employees walk right past me to go into the back room without saying a word. My son and I got upset and walked out.  On the way out a I ran into a manager, so as politely as I could, I explained the situation.  He didn't even offer to help, so we left and I have not been back.  I walked into Cabelas, pulled a number, and when my number came up, I was helped by someone that knew what they were talking about.  So like I said, it just depends.  Happy fishing!

Offline foamy8

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Dec 19, 2013, 12:39 PM »
I'm not going to get into much here.  Cabela's employee at Corporate.  I don't represent Cabela's in an official capacity on this forum.  I'm heavily involved in retail stores and track what happens in my area very carefully.  Honestly, it makes me cringe to read posts like this.  Customer service is very important to me, and us as a company.  We hear it daily.  What do we need to do to make the customer experience better?  Without customers, we don't have much.  Without satisfied customers, we don't have much. 

If you haven't had a good experience.  Tell us.  Tell the store.  Tell the manager.  Rate your experience.  I can tell you that negative customer experiences are looked at and oftentimes passed on to Jim Cabela himself- and often notes are sent by him or another higher up with directions to find out what happened and make it right.  You'd be amazed at the level of service you can get- especially if you feel you didn't get good service to start with. 

Here's another thing to think about.  Customers can be divided into three groups for simplicity sake. 

1- Those who are constantly unhappy with every experience from anyone.  Often price sensative and not brand loyal to any one brand- looking for the best deal and only buying the best deal from whoever has it and offers negative reviews on every store with almost every experience. 
2- Customers who are deal shoppers, but will buy from whatever store has the best price, experience, and convenience.  They'll not go out of their way to visit one particular store, but will shop the best price and convenient locations.
3- Loyal customers who are willing to spend more, go out of their way, and die hard brand followers.  It can be BP, Scheels, Cabela's, Sportsman's Warehouse, Wal Mart, anyone.  All of these companies are great companies with tremendously loyal customer bases. 

We all want to convert customers into that third group of customers and the way we do that is by making sure the customer experience is great.  Unfortunately, all stores are run by humans that have bad days, family troubles, and sicknesses from time to time.  We all do, right?  We shouldn't let that affect our performance at our job, but retail is hard work and dealing with customers that are unhappy isn't a lot of fun.   Sorry for the bad experiences, and I've forwarded this chain to several folks to read. 

Just a little perspective on the other end of the rant. 

Offline CARTMATT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 19, 2013, 01:01 PM »
Was once a Cabelas customer. Had points card and all. Have few friends that work corporate. Have long since moved along. Cabelas brand merchandise has gone to crap. Service in store isn't great, selection isn't great. I'm always given the friends and employee discount cards, which are shy of worthless.  Also my last go up in Omaks, bps 1st.  Tried gun purchase once, never again.  I've talked to higher ups foamy , the blame just  passes right back down the ladder.  A great wal mart style store in my opinion, but far from a specialty store anymore! 

Offline Deadhead D

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Dec 19, 2013, 01:14 PM »
  I actually used to work for Cabelas (not in a store) and found them a great company to work for, however, the LaVista store is the worst I have ever been to for customer service.  There are a couple of guys that work there that actually know what they are talking about in the fishing department, but if I cannot find them I am better off on my own.  In one trip there were 3 different fishing items I was looking for, asked about, was told they did not have, and then found all three by myself.  Tried to tell the higher ups I knew while working for them (again not in a retail store), it did not do any good.

While we are at it can you PLEASE get rid of the people at the door trying to get me to sign up for a Cabelas card?  I feel like I am avoiding a homeless guy on the street asking for change when I walk by them.  It's very awkward.  I loved working for them, have a hard time with this location though.   Even though I would rather spend my money at Cabelas, most of the time I end up at Scheels just for the lack of hassle.

Offline Water and ice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Dec 19, 2013, 01:34 PM »
I would have to afree with the La Vista store. I have been there a couple of times when im in Omaha for work and shake my head. Even Bass Pro in Council Bluffs is not that friendly. I like Scheels the best its so much closer and easier to deal with. I like it when i can walk in with a broken rod and walk out with a new one at no cost since it has scheels on it. Done this several times and never had a problem.   

Offline H82LUZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'!
« Reply #24 on: Dec 19, 2013, 01:41 PM »
It also seems as if some of the people there are working there for the discount and NOT for the job. How about hire some people that need the work instead of a discount. Hold the discount for a year or two before they get one. Weed out some of your problems. Then, bring in an outside company to do a personnel audit. I will assure you the guys hiding out by the kayaks in the Maine store smoking will not fair well on the audit score.
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, National Guard or Reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life." Thank you to all of you.

Offline kylerprochaska

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Dec 19, 2013, 02:39 PM »
This situation had nothing to do with the staff or how i was treated by them, I have nothing but good experiences with the people who work at Cabelas.  I was frustrated because the item I ordered went from, "Limited Stock" to "In Stock" to "Backordered" in a 24 hour period. 

Offline krkazebeer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Dec 19, 2013, 04:17 PM »
I was at the la vista store 2 days ago looking for some jigs. Only reason I go is bc its right across from my work. While i was looking for jigs the "fishing" guy walked over to somebody he knew that was a customer and started complaining about how much it sucked him having to work in multiple departments bc they didnt have enought staff.  He then continued the conversation by saying how stupid everyone that ice fishes is and you would never catch him on the ice WHILE HE IS STANDING IN THE ICE FISHING SECTION!!!!  All i have to say is wow.....what an idiot

Offline Drake

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Dec 19, 2013, 08:25 PM »
Yeah cabelas has been just plain rotten for quite a while now. I filled out a survey describing my "shopping experience" a year or 2 ago and explained how frustrating it was to drive an hour to the store to purchase 3 or 4 things I saw online or in a flyer only to find out that the store didn't stock ANYTHING I had intended to buy... I never heard back from them. cabelas has peaked and is on the the down hill slide... A company like Reeds with with awesome customer service product knowledge and people skills is poised to move up big time. cabelas got too big too fast and is sloppy.

Offline divs

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Dec 19, 2013, 09:25 PM »
I find it funny all the people that are pissed because Cabela's doesn't have an item in stock they wanted to buy.  You can't expect a store of that size to carry every single item they sell, in stock, all the time.

Offline GrabLifeByTheGills

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Dec 19, 2013, 09:46 PM »
Kyler if it was limited stock when you ordered it you should get it within 3-6 days usually it only take like 5 min for your order to be processed

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.