Author Topic: WEST GTG DETAILS  (Read 6048 times)

Offline hankthecrank

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Nothing better than DR PEPPER on shaved ice.
WEST GTG DETAILS
« on: Jan 22, 2013, 08:38 PM »
I thought I would get some commotion started about the West GTG. only about 25 days till the event and I haven't seen any talk yet. I may not be able to make it, but being we had such a good turnout last year, I would hate to not see it continue. Lets get some talk going and see how many are going to commit to showing up.
DR PEPPER POWERED PIKE HUNTER

THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN FISHING AND CATCHING, IS ONE FISH.

Offline icerules

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: WEST GTG DETAILS
« Reply #1 on: Jan 22, 2013, 09:00 PM »
I would love to make it I really enjoyed it last year and it is fun meeting new people I dont get to meet many new people I always go when no one esle is around for some reason. I hope the weather is good and every one has a good time and will be in next year for sure I will look at it this way that when the new baby gets here on or around the 12 feb will have a new person in a few years to take out and learn the great sport that we are all into.
A day ice fishing is always better than a day at work

Offline ULking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Ice Baby!!!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 22, 2013, 09:14 PM »
i might be attending but man is that a boring drive in my pos car that no longer has a radio lol
A bad day of fishin is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline JAM3S

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 40° makes me sweat.
« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 2013, 09:22 PM »
I am definently going!  Not sure if I am pulling the camper or staying in a cabin yet.  Derek, lets discuss our travel options on the ice in the next couple weeks.

Offline ULking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Ice Baby!!!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 23, 2013, 08:07 AM »
I am definently going!  Not sure if I am pulling the camper or staying in a cabin yet.  Derek, lets discuss our travel options on the ice in the next couple weeks.
sounds good! im hoping to get out this week sometime after work bc i have to move in my house this weekend so idk if ill get off. good problem to have i think  ;) do you have my cell #?

Offline JAM3S

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 40° makes me sweat.
« Reply #5 on: Jan 23, 2013, 08:12 AM »
sounds good! im hoping to get out this week sometime after work bc i have to move in my house this weekend so idk if ill get off. good problem to have i think  ;) do you have my cell #?

Don't believe I do.

Offline Mr Merritt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 23, 2013, 08:48 AM »
Hank, thanks for getting the ball rolling.  We have 6 cabins with 2-4 beds each available by reservation.  And the bite has been pretty good too!

Offline swampdonkeyice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 23, 2013, 09:32 AM »
What is the date on the get together?  Ill be fishing minnesota the 15th thru the 22nd of feb, but would like to make it.

Offline eepks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 23, 2013, 05:26 PM »
I live in the WEST..and this GTG is not out west. Good luck and have fun!

Offline Fish-icer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 23, 2013, 05:53 PM »
If you guys are interested in switching it to feb 9th/10th to get more people I will be out there that weekend fishing.

Offline Wkndbum

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 23, 2013, 08:43 PM »
I'm planning on going Fri the 15th, staying @ the Trade Winds

Offline Sandbilly

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 24, 2013, 07:31 AM »
I don't have a free weekend until Feb 23.

dc

Offline JAM3S

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 40° makes me sweat.
« Reply #12 on: Jan 24, 2013, 08:01 AM »
I live in the WEST..and this GTG is not out west. Good luck and have fun!

We voted.  And I went with Merritt mostly for the availability of lodging so close to the water, seems more likely people will be able to make it that way.

Offline IceHutt

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Keep & bear arms.Assume nothing.Fish & hunt often!
« Reply #13 on: Jan 24, 2013, 08:43 AM »
I am new to some of these tournaments and events.  What does the West GTG stand for and what is it and where and when is it?   Where can I get some details on it?  Thanks for the help!!    DH

Offline Mr Merritt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 24, 2013, 09:04 AM »
GTG stands for Get Together.  Rather than any type of tournament format, this GTG is just an informal gathering of folks that enjoy ice fishing.  The date and location for the "west" GTG is Merritt Reservoir on the weekend of Feb. 16-17 as per a group vote of forum participants in early December.  There is no real agenda, although I plan to make the lounge at the Merritt Trading Post available Saturday evening to gather and talk hard water fishn'.  All ages are welcome and the atmosphere is family friendly.  Participants can choose to fish Merritt, the Valentine Refuge or other nearby lakes.  In other words this GTG is mostly an excuse to get out of the house and go fishing.

Offline Sandbilly

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #15 on: Jan 24, 2013, 09:06 AM »
I am new to some of these tournaments and events.  What does the West GTG stand for and what is it and where and when is it?   Where can I get some details on it?  Thanks for the help!!    DH

GTG = Get together. A gathering of forum members to meet each other, tell lies, share ideas, fish and gain knowledge of lakes they don't normally cut ice on. Always a good time.  :tipup:

Here's a little info. Search will give you more.
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=227436.0

dc   

Offline okcableguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 24, 2013, 09:07 AM »
Still debating. Kind of disappointed in the east gtg since so many said they were coming...

But I've never fished there either...
My Job?

I feed the world...

Offline Sandbilly

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #17 on: Jan 24, 2013, 09:08 AM »
Beat me too it Mr. Merritt.  :)

dc

Offline hankthecrank

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jan 24, 2013, 08:23 PM »
Get together in my opinion does not mean sitting in your trap and texting to people on the ice, the funnest thing last year was getting together and putting faces to the names on this forum, met a bunch of great guys and had a great time. We had a central meeting point at the Trading Post and made our way out from there. The ice will definitely be on our side this year, so the choices won't be quite so limited. Only depth should be a problem, and in my opinion the place and the date should not be changed people have been planning this way and I for one don't want to change.

Offline spikes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Jan 24, 2013, 08:35 PM »
If anyone in the Columbus area is interested in going let me know would like to have company.  When will people be meeting and where.

Offline eepks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 24, 2013, 09:21 PM »
We voted.  And I went with Merritt mostly for the availability of lodging so close to the water, seems more likely people will be able to make it that way.

Seems Central to me. Was Box Butte on the list? Or Smith?

Offline fishngolf

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The bigger the teeth, the better it gets!!!
« Reply #21 on: Jan 24, 2013, 09:52 PM »

Seems Central to me. Was Box Butte on the list? Or Smith?

This is a post by Sandbilly on some of the possibilities of the location on the west GTG. These weren't the only lakes that were brought up, but the location was narrowed down to a few on a poll and then voted on again to pick the final location.

Either Box Butte or Smith would both be a great choice in the future. I have fished both and had good outings on each one of them.   

Sandbilly
Team IceShanty Addict

Ice Fishing Rulez!

Re: 2nd Annual ICESHANTY Team NEBRASKA Get Together

« Reply #54 on: Oct 16, 2012, 07:12 AM »

Thanks JT for doing what you do.

Quote from: hankthecrank on Oct 09, 2012, 10:43 AM

I couldn't agree with you more Jam3s, Merritt/Refuge is great for me, want to fish Merritt alot more, although you have to ask Sandbilly, but there are alot of places farther West that have great fishing too, just alot farther for the guys from the East to have to travel.

Locations:

Valentine area has the most ice fishing options plus ample lodging compared to other place in NE. With that said there are many great ice destinations to explore on this end of the state if you all want to try something different.

Areas we like to get to every few years include,
Alliance/Chadron - Box Butte, Smith WMA, Walgren, Whitney, Frey, Cottonwood/Steverson, Shell.

Oshkosh - Crescent Lake NWR.

Ainsworth/Bassett - Tower, Cozad's, Willow SWMA, Twin, Overton.

Burwell - Calamus, Swan, Goose, Davis Creek, Sherman.

Many other options in these areas, just some that I'm familiar with.     

Dates:

Been keeping an ice fishing journal that spans over 20 years. Average first ice outing is Dec. 5, our average last ice outing, March 3 for here in the central Sandhills. Every year is different and every lake has different ice conditions throughout a season. It would be good to have IS members in the picked area for fishing reports and help with ice conditions.

Last year the IS get together was Feb 17-19. Ice conditions were touch and go all season at the V. Refuge because above normal precip had a lot of water moving all winter.  Drought means less spring flows so if we get a somewhat normal winter I expect a longer ice season on natural Sandhill lakes,, but who knows.       

dc   

Offline IceHutt

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Keep & bear arms.Assume nothing.Fish & hunt often!
« Reply #22 on: Jan 26, 2013, 01:33 AM »
Thanks Mr. Merritt and others for the explanation of GTG. ;)  Sounds like a good time.  Maybe I will try to get there and see firsthand what it is all about.  :)

Offline Docholiday

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 27, 2013, 08:44 PM »
I need to book a room where is everyone staying?
Hit em Hard Water Style

Doc

Offline JAM3S

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 40° makes me sweat.
« Reply #24 on: Jan 27, 2013, 10:28 PM »
I need to book a room where is everyone staying?

Merritt Trading post and resort.

Offline Mr Merritt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 28, 2013, 09:12 AM »
Ice conditions at Merritt are currently fine (12" Avg.) despite some warm weather.  We are forecast to have 2-3 chilly days then a warm-up into the middle of next week.  I just wanted to let folks know that the Trading Post will waive our usual 30 day cancelation policy for the west GTG participants in the event the warm spell continues and the ice conditions  become marginal or unsafe.  We still have lodging available for the GTG.

Offline ULking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Ice Baby!!!
« Reply #26 on: Feb 01, 2013, 01:36 PM »
Merritt Trading post and resort.

im in!!

Offline Wkndbum

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Feb 03, 2013, 08:29 AM »

"  Think this will be my last day on the ice in the Valentine area until better weather. Even Merritt was cutting chunky yesterday.

dc "

Don's post from NFGA site.  10 day forecast doesn't look too good for ice making in the Valentine area.
Anybody have a plan "B" ?

Offline hankthecrank

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Feb 03, 2013, 09:55 AM »
Yea like wait awhile then shoot from the hip or just put the ice stuff away and mope around for another 10 months

Offline Wkndbum

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Feb 03, 2013, 10:13 AM »
put the ice stuff away and mope around for another 10 months

NO WAY!  I'll head for Mobridge if Valentine ice isn't fishable.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.