Author Topic: frozen smelt  (Read 8237 times)

Offline spook_bob

• IceShanty Rookie
frozen smelt
« on: Jan 01, 2013, 07:36 PM »
Does anyone know where to buy frozen smelt in Omaha?  I am currently getting them from a store in Lincoln because that's the closest place i know. Thanks for any info

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I just don't have a healthy fear of...anything.
Re: frozen smelt
« Reply #1 on: Jan 01, 2013, 07:53 PM »
Grocery store.  Ours has bags n bags of them.  Bait shrimp as well.
STRIKELITE 4-STROKE, POLARIS 800 X2, OTTER OUTDOORS, FL-12, FORD F-150, ST. CROIX, HERITAGE LAKER AND FRABILL THERMAL TIPUPS, STRIKEMASTER BIBS AND PARKA, MR BUDDY, LOWRANCE H2O, AQUA VIEW XL, MARCUM PANNING TRIPOD, AND FATTIES.

Offline spook_bob

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 01, 2013, 08:07 PM »
I have checked the big grocery stores here in omaha and still no luck :'(

Offline tipups10

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 01, 2013, 11:47 PM »
No Frills in Lavista always has them but they are small.

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I just don't have a healthy fear of...anything.
« Reply #4 on: Jan 02, 2013, 08:43 AM »
I would call to small towns in the area that are near lakes.  Our store carries the smelt and shrimp for catfish since the nearest bait shop is over 25 miles. There are some small lakes near here (20+ miles) so I'm sure they eventually sell.  I still can't find a spike or waxie in less than 25 miles though...:-(   
STRIKELITE 4-STROKE, POLARIS 800 X2, OTTER OUTDOORS, FL-12, FORD F-150, ST. CROIX, HERITAGE LAKER AND FRABILL THERMAL TIPUPS, STRIKEMASTER BIBS AND PARKA, MR BUDDY, LOWRANCE H2O, AQUA VIEW XL, MARCUM PANNING TRIPOD, AND FATTIES.

Offline spook_bob

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 02, 2013, 01:59 PM »
Thanks, sounds like i may have to travel to find decent size smelt

Offline spook_bob

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 04, 2013, 11:56 AM »
also looking for large frozen herring (4" plus) if anyone has any leads
thanks for any info

Offline Fish-icer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 04, 2013, 12:03 PM »
Spookbob-call canfields and ask them.  They might carry some, long shot but you never know.

Offline spook_bob

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 04, 2013, 12:15 PM »
Thanks

Offline Munger1

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Everyday I think...........is this the day
« Reply #9 on: Jan 04, 2013, 02:10 PM »
Try the Asian markets........a couple years ago went up to Valentine and picked some up at the Asian Market here in Omaha that looked like mini Wahoo tuna..........slayed the pike that time...........in fact caught my biggest ever 37" on one of those baits.

Good Luck!
Everyday I think...........is this the day that I can finally go hit the ice?

Offline whitetips

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 04, 2013, 03:29 PM »
Try the Asian markets........a couple years ago went up to Valentine and picked some up at the Asian Market here in Omaha that looked like mini Wahoo tuna..........slayed the pike that time...........in fact caught my biggest ever 37" on one of those baits.

Good Luck!

I do not know how the Feds. would interpret their regulations, how specific they would be . . . I have thought of doing something like that, but the regulations for the Valentine National Wildlife Refuge say "frozen smelt".  It might not hurt to double-check that before a Federal agent shows up and writes a ticket.

I have heard of hotdogs catching some pike too.

Daryl Bauer
Fisheries Outreach Program Manager
Nebraska Game & Parks Commission
[email protected]
http://outdoornebraska.ne.gov/blogs/category/barbs-and-backlashes/

Daryl Bauer
Fisheries Outreach Program Manager
Nebraska Game & Parks Commission
[email protected]
http://neblandvm.outdoornebraska.gov/category/barbs-and-backlashes/

Offline sleder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2013, 06:31 PM »
Spook Bob if you cant find large Smelt in the future PM Me  We got lots of them and they are VHS tested  with fish health certificate . Nebraska DNR won't bother you.

Offline grizzlyhackle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 21, 2014, 05:34 AM »
Does anyone around Omaha know of a good place to get some smelt? I know this topic is old, but headed West this week and trying to plan ahead. Thanks in advance

Offline hardh2ofish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 21, 2014, 07:26 AM »
Most grocery stores carry frozen smelt

Fishing should be the exercise of your skills- and its rewards the places it brings you to
                                                                           Negley Farson
Going Fishing

Offline grizzlyhackle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 21, 2014, 07:30 AM »
Most grocery stores carry frozen smelt

Thanks, but I was just wondering if someone had a personal experience in regards to a specific store so I dont have to go on a wild goose chase calling and driving all over.

Offline nate95366

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 21, 2014, 08:02 AM »
I haven't bought frozen smelt in Omaha ever, but the smaller town groceries that do carry it probably carry it because they have a known-to-be-true customer(s) who asked about it, it was ordered, and they showed up and paid for it.  It is a product available for order from many grocery distributors, but not really popular for culinary use in Omaha (now San Francisco, it may be an easier search...)  If you have a favorite grocery store to shop at, I would recommend getting to know someone on a first-name basis in the supervisory side of the meat department.

Nate

Offline grizzlyhackle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Jan 21, 2014, 08:59 AM »
Short list after my outbound calling campaign, if anyone is interested:

-Hy Vee- No
-Bakers - No
-Super Saver - Yes, but without head
-Absolutely Fresh Seafood - No
- Bag N Save (90th) - Yes, but she said they were "smaller"
-Wal mart - No
- No Frills - No
- Fareway - No
- Asian Market off 76th & Dodge - Not frozen, but said to call back in a little bit to speak with the "fish guy" as they may have fresh?

Waiting to call Cabelas, Scheels, and Canfields once they open....any ideas around North Platte? May call the Minnow Bucket and see if he has any, as we are passing through town.

Offline crappie15

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 21, 2014, 10:28 AM »
My dad picked me up a bag from the Minnow Bucket last week but they were all pretty small. I don't know how many bags they had either.

Offline grizzlyhackle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jan 21, 2014, 11:09 AM »
My dad picked me up a bag from the Minnow Bucket last week but they were all pretty small. I don't know how many bags they had either.

Thanks for the feedback man, I appreciate it. Anyone around Lincoln have a go-to place?

Offline doneinne

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 21, 2014, 12:06 PM »
Walmart in Fremont has them.  They are cleaned, but pretty good sized.  I caught a nice 34.5" pike at Wanahoo on one.  Cleaned they are about 4" and as big around as my thumb.

Offline fishngolf

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The bigger the teeth, the better it gets!!!
« Reply #20 on: Jan 21, 2014, 01:49 PM »

If you are in North Platte and going up through Mullen, Macke's Grocery Store always carries a good supply of smelt.

Just after you go north across the railroad tracks look left and you can't miss the sign. They are open 7:00 to 6:00 Monday through Saturday mountain time.

Offline IceDoc

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 21, 2014, 02:07 PM »
Only place I have found them in Omaha is Bag N Save on 90th.  They are the smaller kind.  I have had good luck with grocery stores in North Platte.  A few years ago I called a small local grocery store and had them order me the big ones.  Cost a little more and had buy a certain amount, but if you have a group of guys that go together it is worth it.  If you find good ones always buy more and freeze for future us.  I have used frozen smelt from past years and still had luck on them.  Just thaw them out a couple of days before and let them stink  :tipup:
Never test the depth of the water with both feet.

Offline hardh2ofish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Jan 21, 2014, 02:22 PM »
I talked my grocery store owner/buddy into ordering giant smelt by the case.  Around 37# per case.   I get dibbs on how many I want. Then he packs them up into meat flats and sells the rest.  He has not had any trouble getting rid of the rest.  He's going through his second case now. 

Fishing should be the exercise of your skills- and its rewards the places it brings you to
                                                                           Negley Farson
Going Fishing

Offline grizzlyhackle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Jan 21, 2014, 02:46 PM »
Heck ya, thanks for the responses ice brothers

Offline hardh2ofish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Jan 21, 2014, 03:28 PM »
The clerks at the grocery store look at me funny when I'm checking out.  They find it hard to believe you can catch fish with them.  They think in ought to clean the ones I'm buying.

Negley Farson
Going Fishing

Offline 2old2fish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Jan 21, 2014, 04:49 PM »
if you are travling i-80 on the way west bogarts in kearny had some last week it is a couple miles north of the exit on the east side of the road next to a family dollar store hope this helps

Offline doneinne

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Jan 21, 2014, 05:01 PM »
The clerks at the grocery store look at me funny when I'm checking out.  They find it hard to believe you can catch fish with them.  They think in ought to clean the ones I'm buying.
Tell them that's plan B.

Offline hardh2ofish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Jan 21, 2014, 05:07 PM »
I dont think I like plan B!!  But then again I've never tried them :-\

Negley Farson
Going Fishing

Offline Mr Merritt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Jan 22, 2014, 08:47 AM »
I usually have them on hand here at the Merritt Trading Post.  They are about 5 inches.  We sell them in 10-11 count bags for $2.25 ea.  I'm also carrying live and frozen chubs.  The live chubs have been scoring really well this winter on Merritt.  Rig them under a tip up for bass and pike.  Do remember that live or frozen chubs are not allowed on the refuge.

Offline grizzlyhackle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Jan 22, 2014, 09:31 AM »
I usually have them on hand here at the Trading Post.  They are about 4.5-5 inches.  I'm also carrying live and frozen chubs.

Super good to know, thanks

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.