Author Topic: Box Butte  (Read 6338 times)

Offline eepks

• Team IceShanty Regular
Box Butte
« on: Dec 19, 2010, 02:02 PM »
Looking for info on the ice there, if there is any.

TIA,

Eric

Offline Fishingnerd33

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Box Butte
« Reply #1 on: Dec 19, 2010, 09:34 PM »
Haven't fished on it, but have driven by it several times and walked on it.  I'd guess it's around 5-6" right now.  Anywhere from 4-7" of ice are on the ponds/lakes we've been on this weekend.

Offline LukeMelchior

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 23, 2010, 09:36 AM »
went up twice this week. Ice is about 5-7 near the dam and anywhere from 4-9 inches everywhere else. The fish still seem to be in the shallower water.

Offline eepks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 23, 2010, 11:16 AM »
Thanks for the report!

Offline wyotoach

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 26, 2010, 11:05 AM »
How as the fishing Luke?

toach

Offline fishsmith

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 26, 2010, 02:06 PM »
Hey toach, the Northern fishing was great Xmas day 8 to16ft of water fishing the middle depths.

Offline wyotoach

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 26, 2010, 04:02 PM »
Sweet! Might PM you to get a little more info as I've never fished there. Grew up in Scottsbluff but only ice fished the local pits there and didn't really get into the ice fishing until I moved to Colorado.

Toach

Offline T.R.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 26, 2010, 11:44 PM »
hey fishsmith, did you get into any panfish or were you just after the hammer handles?

Offline T.R.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 27, 2010, 09:44 AM »
has anybody been up recently? im planning on going up tomorrow if the ice is okay at hunters point

Offline fishsmith

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 27, 2010, 11:33 AM »
hey fishsmith, did you get into any panfish or were you just after the hammer handles?
Hey T.R., was mainly there for the hammer handles caught 1 Perch and missed a few more.
If you want to check out the picks. go over to the Wyoming site and look under the Pike and tiger muskie in  Wyoming thread. ;D

there's a full report there as well. :)

Offline IceDoc

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 28, 2010, 01:32 PM »
Hey guys,
Thinking about heading to Box Butte on thursday for some northern tip-up action.  Never been to the lake before.  Always heard to fish off of Hunter Point (but don't know where that is), can anyone give me directions to where that is?

Also what about ice conditions with the warm weather the last couple of days?

Any info would be helpful to a newer ice fisherman.

Thanks
Never test the depth of the water with both feet.

Offline hammerhandle41

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 28, 2010, 09:24 PM »
Hunters point is on the north side of the lake, there is a county road that runs along the northside there is a pull in right on hunters point its not labled but its about halfway down the length of the lake. I was fishing it today and had great success with smelt caught 13 our biggest was ruffly 28in and our smallest was ruffly 18in. If you want to have non-stop action the whole day use minnows and you will be chasing tip-ups all day long.
If you never try you will never know!

Offline chadrockiceman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 28, 2010, 09:44 PM »
How about the ice thickness and color??  My buddy and I were also thinking about going but nervous about the ice!

Offline hammerhandle41

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 28, 2010, 09:53 PM »
The ice was an easy 8-9in, its cloudy and white around the trees and brush but once you get out on the lake its good clear ice. We were catching them shallow in 8-10ft of water.

Offline chadrockiceman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 28, 2010, 09:59 PM »
Any chance you know of any place to get minnows??  I have smelt and will get some wax worms, but really want minnows!

Offline Keith Walters

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 28, 2010, 10:02 PM »
Any chance you know of any place to get minnows??  I have smelt and will get some wax worms, but really want minnows!

I heard there are some in Alliance and I think there may be some in Gering.

Good fishing,
Keith

Offline IceDoc

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Dec 29, 2010, 09:37 AM »
Hammerhandle thanks for the info.  Do you know if that turn off for hunter point is the second or third one from the damn?  Just trying to get it pinpointed.  I imagine you can catch fish at either spot.  Any info would be great.  You think the ice will hold up for one more warm day?  I see thursday and friday are supposed to be cold.  Thanks for the help.

Offline hammerhandle41

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 29, 2010, 03:53 PM »
Its the second turn off west of the camp grounds. I know that there is a little house or building just west of the camp grounds you can see it from the county road, the hunters point turn off is the next one after that to the west.

Offline Keith Walters

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 29, 2010, 04:32 PM »
Just got home from Box Butte.  The ice is about 6" and was making ice all the time we were there.  Just be careful right along the shore where there are bad spots (mostly over water about a foot deep.  I don't think it matters much where you fish, you should catch pike -we fished about 1/4 mile west of the boat ramp, about 100 yards out (19'deep in to 11' deep).  We fished from about 8:30 to 1:00 and caught about 15 small perch, mostly on Hali jig with wax worm - biggest was about 7" and about a dozen or more pike - most were 20" to 24" with a couple smaller ones.  Started catching pike on jigging raps, but they took them so deep they were hard to unhook.  Switched to Lindy Darters (didn't want to risk my Chubby Darters) with equal success and much easier to get unhooked.  I used a 12" leader of 20# fluorocarbon to keep from getting bit off.  My flasher made all the difference in the world.  I saw every pike before it hit.   My buddy caught some with minnows on tip-ups, too.  We released everything.

Good fishing,
Keith

Offline FishGut

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Dec 30, 2010, 05:08 AM »
Great report, Keith! Thanks
Nebraska certified Fishing Instructor

Offline IceDoc

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Dec 30, 2010, 06:07 PM »
Braved the cold and wind and went out to Box Butte this morning.  Wasn't all that bad with the trees blocking the wind.  Took my Dad ice fishing for his first time (i think he might be hooked).  We tried to panfish a little bit, but we had to much fun chasing flags.  Quit at noon (didn't know what the weather was going to do) and we had 8 pike ranging from 18 - 26 inches.  Had a big boy bite us off.  Thanks everyone for the tips on the lake it helped out a ton.  Had blast and will have to make another trip.

Offline fishsmith

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 30, 2010, 08:48 PM »
Good deal Icedoc! I think BB is a pretty neat lake. It's great ya got your father out with you. ;D

Offline wyotoach

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Dec 30, 2010, 10:40 PM »
Got back from two days at Box Butte. Fished 3'-8'  ran non-stop chasing flags. On Wednesday we probably had 50 flags between two of us. Today we fished for 4 hours and probably had 20 flags. We fished the northwest corner, but I think you could fish anywhere and get similar results. The largest fish we iced was 34" which fell in the slot along with two others that we caught. Numerous fish ranged from 22"-26". Even with plyers my fingers are dinged up dealing with so many legless alligators.

Best results for pike were a shallow presentation about 2' under the ice on 3"-5" suckers. Iced a 16" largemouth on a tipup too! Perch were hard to come by but I didn't move around much. What perch that did come in took a rust colored gitzit tipped with a wax worm.

The group about 500 yards away were out in the middle of the area and sitting in about 8' of water as well. They hadn't caught any pike but many largemouths, 3 blue gill and a couple of perch.

Ice ranged from 7-10". Where trees are sticking out of the water the ice was soft. This cold snap should help sure up the ice in those spots as well.

On Wednesday there was a large group off of Hunter's point. Today there was one group out in the same area. I think it was Mr. Walters.

Am anxious to get to pickling some pike tomorrow!

Bait is available at the shop in Alliance and open 24 hours. They have suckers, frozen smelt, crappie minnows, crawlers, wax and meal worms! Cash only.

I will try to figure out how to post pictures!

Posted on the Wyoming page as well.

Offline Keith Walters

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Dec 31, 2010, 07:55 AM »
Wasn't me yesterday, but thanks for the positive thoughts that I would be ice fishing.  I sat at home waiting for the blizzard and the Husker game - both a real downer!  Looks like a real mess outside this morning with snow and blowing snow.  I wonder how so much of it can find my driveway!  Be careful outside today, the wind chill could do you some damage in short order.  On the bright side, we should have some ice by the time this storm passes.

Good fishing,
Keith

Offline wyotoach

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Dec 31, 2010, 10:43 AM »
Sorry there Keith. I see now that it was Icedoc. Can you tell that I'm a teacher and harp on my kids about having their facts straight! Ugh. -1 with a windchill of -24 right now. I think all my snow is blowing to your driveway from here in Wyoming.

Toach

Offline wyotoach

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Dec 31, 2010, 11:02 AM »

A blast at the Butte!

Offline Keith Walters

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Dec 31, 2010, 11:10 AM »
Very nice fish!  Box Butte almost always provides lots of action.  AND, Please keep that snow.  I have plenty here already.

Have a great day,
Keith

Offline chadrockiceman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Jan 01, 2011, 12:02 AM »
Great pics.  Thanks for sharing! However it is making us all jealous!

Offline fishininthedark

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Jan 02, 2011, 12:46 PM »
wyotoach what is the name and location of that bait shop and you said that it open 24 7 right. I would like to be there round 630 tues morning i was hoping ne way

Offline Keith Walters

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Jan 02, 2011, 01:07 PM »
wyotoach what is the name and location of that bait shop and you said that it open 24 7 right. I would like to be there round 630 tues morning i was hoping ne way
I think it is listed in the info post at the top of the Wyoming board.

Good fishing,
Keith

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.