Author Topic: Strikemaster Augers  (Read 8974 times)

Offline TravP

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Strikemaster Augers
« Reply #30 on: Oct 20, 2009, 09:11 PM »
Trust me- take a look at the Robin/Subaru engined StrikeLite. If you drill a hole with one, you WILL want one.
i have used a strikelight. Its a nice auger but not quite fast enough. I don't like the plastic flighting either.

Offline ice 45

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Oct 20, 2009, 09:14 PM »
I have never used one but i have heard bad things about the plastic auger and the head freezing up bad

"The temptation to quit will be greatest just before you are about to succeed."

Offline TravP

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Oct 20, 2009, 09:30 PM »
Yep, things like the flighting busting when the ice gets to thick.

Offline zamboni

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Oct 20, 2009, 11:26 PM »
Never had it freeze, nor break on me yet and I am going on 3rd year. 2 years ago ice was so thick I had to use an extension. As far as speed, anything faster than a hand auger is plenty fast enough for me, not out to win the Indianapolis Auger 500. ;)

Offline Sandbilly

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #34 on: Oct 21, 2009, 09:25 AM »
Been running a Strikelite for 5 years. The Robin 4 stroke is by far the best power head I have ever been around. Easy starting, smooth cutting power, runs clean, and quiet. Some people had problems with a breather tube in the crankcase freezing, causing pressure and then loosing gear oil, but I've never had that happen. Newer models changed to a larger tube and there is a kit for the older engines. The only "plastic" thing, or anything, break on this auger was the intake when my brother in-law ran over it (and I mean ran over the entire auger) with a quad. Ray @ StrikeMaster had the part to me within 3 days.

The synthetic auger bit has froze on me twice. First time was in Devils Lake ND cutting through 18" of snow @ -15 and Osakis MN last year. -35 windchill, with a layer of snow covering 10" of slush before getting to the ice. The problem is not with the plastic, but has more to do with the design around cutting blades not allowing slush to be thrown clear. In very cold weather with snow and slush, ice continues to build up until the auger won't cut. A spray on cooking oil helps for awhile, but my go to method is placing the auger down with blades horizontal and hitting the bit on the ice. If I do this right after cutting a series of holes, the ice buildup is not froze completely, therefore clears well, and is then ready for next usage. The key is making sure not to damage the blades. Certainly not recommended by the manufacturer, but I was still cutting ice when Jiffy's STX hotplates were thawing blades out in pickups or the ice buildup being chipped off with welding hammers.  So far the synthetic bit and auger handles have been tough enough to put up with me. :tipup:

dc       

Offline hankthecrank

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Nothing better than DR PEPPER on shaved ice.
« Reply #35 on: Oct 21, 2009, 09:50 AM »
Hey Don, what do you think about putting the Strikelite auger under one of the new Solo engines? Personally I think it will make a good combination.
DR PEPPER POWERED PIKE HUNTER

THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN FISHING AND CATCHING, IS ONE FISH.

Offline Sandbilly

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #36 on: Oct 21, 2009, 07:59 PM »
Might be just the ticket hank. Can't find specs on the Solo but heard it's geared different with more rpms to the auger than a robins. Should tell the final story on a synthetic auger.

dc

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I just don't have a healthy fear of...anything.
« Reply #37 on: Oct 21, 2009, 08:40 PM »
Been running a Strikelite for 5 years. The Robin 4 stroke is by far the best power head I have ever been around. Easy starting, smooth cutting power, runs clean, and quiet. Some people had problems with a breather tube in the crankcase freezing, causing pressure and then loosing gear oil, but I've never had that happen. Newer models changed to a larger tube and there is a kit for the older engines. The only "plastic" thing, or anything, break on this auger was the intake when my brother in-law ran over it (and I mean ran over the entire auger) with a quad. Ray @ StrikeMaster had the part to me within 3 days.

The synthetic auger bit has froze on me twice. First time was in Devils Lake ND cutting through 18" of snow @ -15 and Osakis MN last year. -35 windchill, with a layer of snow covering 10" of slush before getting to the ice. The problem is not with the plastic, but has more to do with the design around cutting blades not allowing slush to be thrown clear. In very cold weather with snow and slush, ice continues to build up until the auger won't cut. A spray on cooking oil helps for awhile, but my go to method is placing the auger down with blades horizontal and hitting the bit on the ice. If I do this right after cutting a series of holes, the ice buildup is not froze completely, therefore clears well, and is then ready for next usage. The key is making sure not to damage the blades. Certainly not recommended by the manufacturer, but I was still cutting ice when Jiffy's STX hotplates were thawing blades out in pickups or the ice buildup being chipped off with welding hammers.  So far the synthetic bit and auger handles have been tough enough to put up with me. :tipup:

dc      

I tried vaseline...limited help there.  Here are 2 things that really helped:  When you drill your last hole...dive that auger into the hole and really light it up underwater.  Then, take it out and light it up again and throw the water off it.  Put the auger blade ring on the side of your truck tire when you lay it down and let that black rubber reflect the heat.  I had thed same problems you did first super cold time I used that auger.  It just takes a little preventative measures and becomes habit.  Chipping the ice out of the ring is fairly risky.  You really need to be careful not to ding that composite when it is below -10. But I give it a 10 out of 10 for performance, weight, cutting speed, noise, etc.  Superior auger.  As far as using the auger with a Solo powerhead...doubtful.  You are going to get more RPM's I think and I don't think that would help IMO.  The Strikelite blade set up really grabs the ice. I think you would need a different blade set up.  Mine (against an STX) seems to almost pull itself through the ice.  The STX LOOKS more powerful, spins faster and really throws the chipping (good or bad - depending on what you are doing).  In most instances though, I was more relaxed in pressure and would beat the STX in 12" of ice.  I can't attest to the blade sharpness comparison as the STX had one more season on it and had drilled some wind blown ice in the hills (I'm sure you know what this does Sandbilly).
STRIKELITE 4-STROKE, POLARIS 800 X2, OTTER OUTDOORS, FL-12, FORD F-150, ST. CROIX, HERITAGE LAKER AND FRABILL THERMAL TIPUPS, STRIKEMASTER BIBS AND PARKA, MR BUDDY, LOWRANCE H2O, AQUA VIEW XL, MARCUM PANNING TRIPOD, AND FATTIES.

Offline Sandbilly

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #38 on: Oct 21, 2009, 10:56 PM »
 I can't attest to the blade sharpness comparison as the STX had one more season on it and had drilled some wind blown ice in the hills

:'( :'( I feel your pain.

Anymore I pack 2 sets of blades when fishing Calamus. Big Alkali and Davis Creek can also be bad. The guy that bought my old Jiffy received 8 blades with it, 9 counting the one on the auger. Some in better shape than others. Took me about 3 blades figuring out not to sharpen them with a grinder. :(

You are right, the hills are hard on augers. Picked up an auger bag a few years ago that helps a lot for keeping sand out of the power head. Not much a guy can do when it's in the ice except change blades.

When you drill your last hole...dive that auger into the hole and really light it up underwater.  Then, take it out and light it up again and throw the water off it.
Yes sir. Good thing to do on any auger when it's really cold. Snow and slush in extreme temps is what gives me fits. I'm sure banging it around on the ice isn't good for it, but the auger hasn't broke yet and it still cuts like new. Taking care of ice equipment is required and important, but I expect it to fish when and where I want it to.   

I imagine we will have to test the Solo with a synthetic auger. Right or wrong, at least I will then know. ;D

Any plans for heading west over the holidays BojiHawk? I think we will be in Ord for T day.

dc           

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Oct 22, 2009, 07:37 PM »
Think I'm Boji bound bro...last year we had great luck on the Grade on Big Spirit.  Small perch...but tons of them...you could sort to 20 fish but...it wasn't the sandhill pothole northern and perch action...but there is a hot tub, my family, and turkey!!  If I didn't have that rig runnin...I would try and dial in something with you guys out there.  I hope to get out ther yet.  This year is the best ever...I saved a truck load of vactions time up this year...it's about to pay off bro.  I got time and $ saved for the season..so let me know what the word is out there...I'm mobile.  No kids and a patient wife...another great combo.  Peace.
STRIKELITE 4-STROKE, POLARIS 800 X2, OTTER OUTDOORS, FL-12, FORD F-150, ST. CROIX, HERITAGE LAKER AND FRABILL THERMAL TIPUPS, STRIKEMASTER BIBS AND PARKA, MR BUDDY, LOWRANCE H2O, AQUA VIEW XL, MARCUM PANNING TRIPOD, AND FATTIES.

Offline Sandbilly

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #40 on: Oct 23, 2009, 08:00 AM »
and a patient wife...
Very cool. 

Missed my Boji trip last year but have plans to be there twice this winter.  ;D I'll have to get some pointers.

Give me a shout when you are headed this way.

dc

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Oct 23, 2009, 05:59 PM »
Dude....I'll hook you up.  I grew up there...a little at least.  :-)  Got some good line on some of the potholes south and west of Oneil.  Young guy started working for a buddy of mine...he says he has access to some great pike and perch action.  We'll see.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.