Author Topic: Strikemaster Augers  (Read 8975 times)

Offline pepsiman

• IceShanty Rookie
Strikemaster Augers
« on: Sep 09, 2009, 03:34 PM »
Does any one know anything about the new ice augers from Strikemaster? They have German made SOLO motors on them. The field tested reports are unbelievable. I am trying like heck to locate one of these, but to no avail. Any body know when Scheels and Cabelas gets their Ice gear in?? I hav a coupon for save 150 on future purchase if you spend $500 for Cabelas. That would sure come in handy for lots of other ice gear. Expires On Oct 1!!!!!!!!!
gettin the crapps

Offline benson78

• IceShanty Rookie
  • never surrender
Re: Strikemaster Augers
« Reply #1 on: Sep 12, 2009, 02:36 AM »
Cabelas treats Nebraska like a southern state and doesn't really get much in for ice fishing gear I would try Scheels but I don't think they get anything in till middle of November.

Offline magnusthebigbrownlab

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Sep 12, 2009, 06:43 PM »
After seeing a couple of Strikemasters in action last year, I became less than impressed.  Three of us went up to Spirit Lake in early December, it was colder than a witch's teat, and my buddy's strikemaster wouldn't start.  My jiffy started right up.  If you're willing to spend $400-500, I'd go with the Jiffy Model 30.  IMO, the best auger ever made.  In late January, on a 2nd trip to Spirit, my Jiffy made quick work of the 28" of ice...that chipper blade is insane!
Be professional.  Be polite.  But always have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

Offline hankthecrank

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Nothing better than DR PEPPER on shaved ice.
« Reply #3 on: Sep 13, 2009, 11:26 PM »
The name Strikemaster has absolutely nothing to do with it, the fact is they are all Tecumseh engines, just different colors and auger rotation. As far as the new Solo engine it should be a good one, proven over-seas for years.
DR PEPPER POWERED PIKE HUNTER

THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN FISHING AND CATCHING, IS ONE FISH.

Offline Fish-icer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Sep 27, 2009, 05:08 PM »
Rumor has it that scheels has their equipment out already...cabelas and bass pro here in omaha are a joke and never get there stuff out early..

The guy at canfields doesnt know his ass from his elbow about good stuff to buy each year to put on the shelfs...hoping he does a better job this year

Offline HuskerPike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Sep 27, 2009, 07:42 PM »
Rumor is true, Scheels has quite a bit of ice gear already out in Omaha. Very impressive.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Sep 27, 2009, 08:16 PM »
40lbs? And I am Barrack Obama! I weighed my Jiffy a few years ago and it was around 28lbs. Strikemaster and Jiffy augers were so similar, it is stupid to argue about one being better than the other. We will see who has a better product now because they are using different engines now.

If I was going to blow the dough on a new auger, it would be a Nils. The engine is proven and rated for 600 hours of use, no surprises. At 22lbs, it is much lighter than other augers too. I don't want to be the guy who finds out if these new euro engines have the bugs worked out of them. Japan has always been the best at building small engines anyway.

Offline amortec

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • May Your Rattle Reel's Ring Often!!!
« Reply #7 on: Sep 27, 2009, 08:56 PM »
Has anyone else heard of Strikemaster using a fiber or plastic gear in the gear box? My brother in law used hisfor about five holes last winter the  box stripped, sent it in and they fix it, ..said some thing about a bad run , new supplyer, got it back late he will have to wait and see how this works out.
I only work so that I can afford to fish, hunt, & farm

Offline pepsiman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Sep 28, 2009, 03:21 PM »
I finally got somebody from Cabelas to go along with me and ordered a new lazer pro 3 hp. They validated my coupon for the 150 in free merchandise. I will have to drive to Mitchell S.D. when they get it in. Ordered 2 new Pflueger trion reels to put on my new Thorne Bros. Power noodle I just ordered. Trav P If you are reading should I have gotten the longer Noodle?
gettin the crapps

Offline TravP

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Sep 28, 2009, 03:42 PM »
I finally got somebody from Cabelas to go along with me and ordered a new lazer pro 3 hp. They validated my coupon for the 150 in free merchandise. I will have to drive to Mitchell S.D. when they get it in. Ordered 2 new Pflueger trion reels to put on my new Thorne Bros. Power noodle I just ordered. Trav P If you are reading should I have gotten the longer Noodle?
I'm guessing your getting the 24". I do more of my fishing outside so I like the extra length,  but every rod has a time and place. Congrats on the auger purchase, I'm jealous.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Sep 28, 2009, 06:00 PM »
Skipper, the legend powerhead(3hp) alone weighs 24 pounds, add the 8"drill and it comes out to 36 pounds. This is coming straight from the jiffy website. The strikemaster lazer pro(3hp) with an 8"drill weighs 26 pounds.
By the way, nils are fast, I'm not gonna argue that, but they don't clean the hole out like a strikemaster. If you buy a nils, be prepared to have to scoop out your holes.

Thats a new one, dipping holes, I will make a note of that. You plunge the drill and pull it out, the slush comes out..at least thats how I thought it worked. ???

All I'm saying guys is don't blindly brand worship, these things may be the ticket and they may be a disaster. Augers have a legacy of cheap little engines to keep the cost down, that has always been the problem. I would be very interested in the EPA durability rating of these engines. Just like chainsaws, these things should have a rating at which the engine is expected to keep its compression to comply with EPA guidelines. Some cheap power equipment is only rated for 40 hrs of use. Your average Tecumseh auger engine is rated for 240 hours, the Tanaka is rated for 600. I cant find the durability rating for the SOLO engine anywhere.

Offline TIBS

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tipup!!!!!
« Reply #11 on: Sep 28, 2009, 06:50 PM »
I don't really care about this solo engine, as long as strikemaster continues to use massive amounts of brittle plastic on their augers, I will never buy one.

Offline Hard Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Sep 28, 2009, 07:42 PM »
I don't really care about this solo engine, as long as strikemaster continues to use massive amounts of brittle plastic on their augers, I will never buy one.

So are you going to quite buying cars and trucks that are made fromthe same brittle plastic ??
Hard Ice

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Sep 28, 2009, 07:53 PM »
I have never noticed the shaved up ice problem with nils, just a realy fast drill that feels like a comercial unit. I will admit to being biased againt Jiffy and Strikemaster, I feel that the products that they have produced in the past are sub par for what you pay for them. Those techumseh engines have always fought me. I always maintain my stuff and get it tuned in the fall, but I can never seem to finish a winter without some sort of trouble. I use a beat up old Jiffy 2hp now, and I wont replace it until someone proves they have a better product or I find $500 for a nils. I have went back and forth with jiffy and SM, and I can tell you that I dont like either one. Same crap in a different bag.

SOLO may be the answer to all of our prayers, and if they are I may buy one.

Offline TravP

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Sep 28, 2009, 07:54 PM »

So are you going to quite buying cars and trucks that are made fromthe same brittle plastic ??
;D

Offline TIBS

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tipup!!!!!
« Reply #15 on: Sep 29, 2009, 05:00 PM »

Why on earth would an auger mfg make their handles out of plastic?  It's a recipe for disaster, seen 2 friends of mine have them break, not for me, I'll lug around my 40# plus jiffy.

Yeah, my F-150 FX4 has some plastic, but not where it's going to affect the function of the vehicle if it gets cold out.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #16 on: Sep 29, 2009, 06:34 PM »
What engine is Jiffy using?

I hope not to offend anyone that built them for a living, but I am glad to see those Tecumseh go. I had that same 2hp on a 2000 something SM and the jiffy I have now and they were nothing but goofed up governors, leaky needle valves, and ripped out recoil cords.

Jiffy has not changed anything on their website yet. They either have enough Tecumseh engines to make another year, or they want to get their current stock gone before they roll out the new units.

Offline lotwfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Sep 29, 2009, 08:51 PM »
I was on jiffy's site yesturday and they had the new engine with pics, but I didn't read much about what the make of the engines where. I didn't see it posted in the auger dicription either. I did not go looking hard for it so it may be posted somewhere. They did go to alot more plastic and clear gas tanks tho.

Offline TIBS

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tipup!!!!!
« Reply #18 on: Sep 29, 2009, 09:14 PM »
I was on jiffy's site yesturday and they had the new engine with pics, but I didn't read much about what the make of the engines where. I didn't see it posted in the auger dicription either. I did not go looking hard for it so it may be posted somewhere. They did go to alot more plastic and clear gas tanks tho.

There's some plastic engine shroud on there, gas tanks were always plastic, but at least they didn't put plastic handles on there.

I've looked everywhere for a news story or something out there for who exactly is supplying the Jiffy engines, nothing comes up.  It looks to be from Japan or China though.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #19 on: Sep 29, 2009, 09:23 PM »
The only auger I saw that had a new engine on it was the SD60i, and they said it was a "Jiffy engine". I have heard rumor that it was made in the friendly communist country in the far east, but that is only rumor. Japanese small engines are generally top notch, Chinese small engines are usually really really bad. When you think Japan, think of Honda and Yamaha. When you think China, think of those ATV's that they sell at the flea market for $1500 brand new.

You guys shouldn't worry so much about plastic, what is your fish house sled made of? The proper plastic used in the proper place is often the best choice. Plastic will flex when metal will crack or bend. A plastic shroud will often take more shock than the cheap aluminum alloy covers.

Offline Sandbilly

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #20 on: Sep 30, 2009, 08:37 AM »
I read somewhere all small engines must meet new EPA emission standards by 2010. Still looking for the article to link.

dc

Offline TIBS

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tipup!!!!!
« Reply #21 on: Oct 01, 2009, 07:34 PM »
The only auger I saw that had a new engine on it was the SD60i, and they said it was a "Jiffy engine". I have heard rumor that it was made in the friendly communist country in the far east, but that is only rumor. Japanese small engines are generally top notch, Chinese small engines are usually really really bad. When you think Japan, think of Honda and Yamaha. When you think China, think of those ATV's that they sell at the flea market for $1500 brand new.

You guys shouldn't worry so much about plastic, what is your fish house sled made of? The proper plastic used in the proper place is often the best choice. Plastic will flex when metal will crack or bend. A plastic shroud will often take more shock than the cheap aluminum alloy covers.

A lot of Honda engines are made in China these days.  I would imagine Yamaha too.  Japanese are just like us, it's cheaper to have them made there and shipped over.   The Honda engine on my pressure washer is chinese made.  As is the Honda engine on my little tiller.

My issue with plastic is on the handles.  I've seen 2 strikemaster auger handles break so far, and I don't want it to happen to me.  Therefore went with Jiffy.  Those plastic handles are more prone to breaking than bending in the cold.  A plastic engine shroud doesn't bother me.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #22 on: Oct 01, 2009, 07:53 PM »
I read somewhere all small engines must meet new EPA emission standards by 2010. Still looking for the article to link.

dc

I believe it, the new CAFE standards for cars are getting silly too. They aren't going to quit until everything fun is outlawed. :-\

I did not know that Japan was farming out engines, that is depressing as heck. Every small engine that I have owned that was stamped "made in Japan" has been a champ. They have been making top notch snowmobile and motorcycle/ATV engines for years.

Offline Big Johnson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Oct 10, 2009, 09:15 PM »
I have an 11 year old (1998) StrikeMaster 2000 with a 2hp Tecumseh on it. The auger runs like a champ every time and has for years, I am the second owner... I set the choke, pull the cord once and it pops, I then turn the choke off, pull the cord and it runs! It works that way every time I use it... The auger I am sure has well over 200-300+ hours on it and runs like a top! The guys that have the Jiffy's that I ice fish with drill holes a hair faster but it doesn't bother me! I have replaced only the gas cap which was in good shape except for a little ding that allowed it to leak! I have started it 2 times this summer while working with my garden equipment and it was business as usual...

I sure hope the old girl keeps running strong as I am pretty attached to it!

Offline holehopper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Me and Dave Genz
« Reply #24 on: Oct 10, 2009, 10:11 PM »
Strikemaster went with the German "Solo" engine which I hear is a very good engine.  They did demo a Japanese engine too.  I have it on very good authority that the Japanese engine is a really good engine, however it starts really, really hard in cold weather.  I know there are a couple of these floating around out there for sale.  I saw one on Craigslist and another one on Ebay.  Just be careful as you might have a nasty surprise when the weather turns cold....
Never Stop Never Stopping

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #25 on: Oct 11, 2009, 07:41 AM »
Might get a nasty surprise when you need parts! I would check into parts availability before you buy one of those SM prototypes. It is going to need a carb kit or a recoil spring someday.

Offline Hawken

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Oct 20, 2009, 08:31 PM »
After seeing a couple of Strikemasters in action last year, I became less than impressed.  Three of us went up to Spirit Lake in early December, it was colder than a witch's teat, and my buddy's strikemaster wouldn't start.  My jiffy started right up.  If you're willing to spend $400-500, I'd go with the Jiffy Model 30.  IMO, the best auger ever made.  In late January, on a 2nd trip to Spirit, my Jiffy made quick work of the 28" of ice...that chipper blade is insane!

I was the one with the strikemaster it is mag2000 with the yellow valve on the older engines. I had taken the auger to a Tecumsueh dealer after that trip they tuned it up and said this style engine just runs cold blooded. Strikemaster I believe no longer makes this style engine. I paid $160 brand new for it at Scheels in Omaha. I have to stick up for Strikemaster I did not spend $400-500 if I did it would be a blade style with a 4-cycle engine which all start within 2 pulls which i have witnessed from friends. My mag2000 still runs strong with no problem after the tune up and getting used to the choke. I recall Magnus's auger having the same problems he just proceeded to pour starting fluid down his.

Offline TravP

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Oct 20, 2009, 08:40 PM »
I was the one with the strikemaster it is mag2000 with the yellow valve on the older engines. I had taken the auger to a Tecumsueh dealer after that trip they tuned it up and said this style engine just runs cold blooded. Strikemaster I believe no longer makes this style engine. I paid $160 brand new for it at Scheels in Omaha. I have to stick up for Strikemaster I did not spend $400-500 if I did it would be a blade style with a 4-cycle engine which all start within 2 pulls which i have witnessed from friends. My mag2000 still runs strong with no problem after the tune up and getting used to the choke. I recall Magnus's auger having the same problems he just proceeded to pour starting fluid down his.
If i'm not mistaking Jiffy had the same tecumsueh engine that was on the strikemasters.

Offline zamboni

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Oct 20, 2009, 08:54 PM »
Trust me- take a look at the Robin/Subaru engined StrikeLite. If you drill a hole with one, you WILL want one.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #29 on: Oct 20, 2009, 09:02 PM »
I took a look at the new Jiffy and SM augers last week. The Strike Light still had a metal gearcase, but the rest of the SM drills were all plastic. Did Strikemaster use a plastic gearcase last year, or is this another improvement?

Jiffy drills were real cheesy, I mean REAL cheesy. I think we may have taken a step backward in quality...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.