Author Topic: Portable perm build  (Read 3718 times)

Offline 200S

• IceShanty Rookie
Portable perm build
« on: Oct 21, 2016, 02:42 PM »
My first attempt at a prem shanty. Have a 1 man that i have used for a few years. Was going to buy a bigger 2 man flip because i like the room. Decided to try out an idea ive had for  awhile instead. Also always wanted a permanent shanty. So my idea is to take an old 2 man shanty with mouse holes everywhere and build it into a light permanent. Inside is framed with 1x1. It will get a wood floor with 2x6 runners. 1inch blue foam board for insulation. And 2 layers of boat shrink wrap on outside. And a little wood burner. Hoping it will be light enough to run and gun behind my sled. Then tie down and leave on the ice. Hoping the weight is under 200. It will be a big one man. Or small 2 man if needed. Let me know what you guys think. Here is what i have so far. Its already pretty sturdy and think the shrink wrap will help even more. The wood burner is going to be stainless because i got it from work for free. The open end will be where the wood burner is going. Well i have to figure out how to add pics. Pics coming soon.

Offline 200S

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Portable perm build
« Reply #1 on: Oct 21, 2016, 03:15 PM »

Offline 200S

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Oct 21, 2016, 03:19 PM »

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • STAND FOR THE FLAG, KNEEL FOR THE CROSS
« Reply #3 on: Oct 21, 2016, 05:35 PM »
I like it. You might reconsider that stove though. I have the same shanty, and fish alone using a small buddy heater on low and it gets warm. I bought this shanty after the PO tore out the bottom of one side to use as a spearing shack. Good luck with it, and keep the pics coming.

Offline fishbone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Oct 21, 2016, 07:01 PM »
really nice----but i agree---skip the stove you will see why-----go with propane

Offline jiggenfrogs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Oct 21, 2016, 09:22 PM »
A good run and gun shack works great, but not sure if a wood stove is the way to go if you will be moving the shack every few hours.  I put a vented propane heater in my 4'x8' shack.  I fire it up in the morning, hook up and go.  I can stop and punch holes all day and the shack stays warm...great on days around -20 and colder.  Looks like you have a great start though and I'm sure you will dial it in.  Good luck!
If you wantah be a fishah you gotah smoke a swishah!

Offline 200S

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Oct 22, 2016, 04:28 AM »
Thanks for the feedback guys. I have a buddy heater that i have been using for about 5 years and it works great. I know that it would heat this shanty no prob. I really like wood heat. and wanted to give it a try in a shanty. The wood burner that i am building is tiny. the main body is 6 inch pipe. 16 inches long. i know i will only be able to burn small sticks and maybe 2x4 scraps. but will be plenty for this little shack. if it dont work out i will pull it out and just use the buddy heater. also if the shanty doesnt work out as a run and gun. I will set it up in my walleye spot and use my 1 man flip to chase perch during the day. keep the feedback coming. might be while before more pics. got alot of work to do before the snow flies so prob wont work on the shanty for a couple weeks. I will update when I have more progress.

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Oct 23, 2016, 07:09 AM »
I have 2 mouse house shantys that I've picked up over the years, the first I bought for $35 cause I wanted the hitch and the spreader bars inside,the second was free, got it dumpster diving, and since have bought a new tent and converted it to a one man.

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Oct 23, 2016, 03:29 PM »
I have 2 mouse house shantys that I've picked up over the years, the first I bought for $35 cause I wanted the hitch and the spreader bars inside,the second was free, got it dumpster diving, and since have bought a new tent and converted it to a one man.
(Image removed from quote.)

(Image removed from quote.)

Do you have pics of the final product Al?

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Oct 23, 2016, 08:35 PM »
The green one looks just like it does in the pic,except the tow bar is gone. The clam has a new skin on it and the tow bar from the green one. but I don't have any pics of it. The green one has a huge tub on it, it's like 20in tall, I've got ideas in the back of my head to do something with it, but haven't. I took one of the seats out of the clam, and put the other in the middle so I've got a real big one man shanty.

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Oct 24, 2016, 01:27 PM »
Oops, I misunderstood you Al. I thought you Combined the two shacks into 1 shack. Im in the process of Modding out a Eskimo 1 man flip with parts I have had, from all different brands, sitting around in the garage. I'm just looking to see what else I could do to finish the Eskimo off.

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Oct 24, 2016, 03:28 PM »
I had thoughts of doing the same thing with the two that I have. The tub on the green one is what I wanted to use as a base for mine, but the clam cover frame didn't fit. Do you have any pics of your "project"?

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Oct 25, 2016, 01:13 PM »
i will try but its been awhile since i tried to post a pic on here PITA!!!

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Oct 25, 2016, 01:53 PM »

I picked up the Eskimo 1 man from Fleet farm last January for $149. I liked the shack buy the triangle seat was kinda like throwing your grapes in a slingshot after a while of sitting. I have a bunch of stuff I have been holding on to for awhile now and I decided to make it better and free up some of the stuff I have sitting around my garage.

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Oct 25, 2016, 02:44 PM »
First I painted the inside of the sled with Fusion paint that is supposed to bond well to plastic, time will tell. Next I went down to the local welding shop and picked up a length of 1"x2" rectangular aluminum. I mitered the ends to clear the poles when it folds up. I also added the 2 green drink holders and 2 leftover frabill rod holders that were left over from my Voyager build. That is where the seat came from, it is the 3rd seat which I have never used in the Voyager. Unfortunately the snap on storage bags for those seats are no longer available, so I improvised using a door prize from a Iowa Cubs game and it turned out good I think. I will be installing LED strip lights to the pole and Reflectix next. I also stumbled across a USB fan that I'm going to be incorporating to help with ventilation and condensation... I will post those pics as well since I'm practicing again [/URL[URL=http://s125.photobucket.com/user/mshoenhair/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20161015_142816_zpsndaho2ar.jpg.html]

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Oct 25, 2016, 02:59 PM »
things are looking good, there's lots of good ideas here on ice shanty. keep up the good work.

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Nov 10, 2016, 06:45 AM »
200S, sorry for hijacking your thread, got carried away. Any progress on your build?

Offline 200S

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Nov 10, 2016, 08:09 PM »
no worries. All the ideas from this site is what makes it great. no progress on the build. The perch have been biting. between that and work and yard work no time for the shanty. but after Thanksgiving it will be time to put the boat away and start getting ready for the hard water. if im lucky we will have good ice for a perm shanty by early jan. so i have a little time.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.