Author Topic: new flip over portables  (Read 3135 times)

Offline 98600xc

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Nothin beats the vexilar!
new flip over portables
« on: Dec 06, 2009, 10:07 AM »
i am not new ice fishing but I am new to this sight and this year i am looking to buy a new portable.  I am thinking about the clam nanook but i am not sure.  i am also some what interested in the frabill trekker dlx or trekker II.  feeedback would be nice thanks

Offline dairyman

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: new flip over portables
« Reply #1 on: Dec 06, 2009, 10:25 AM »
I had the same problem--------undecided as to the clam or frabill----------I sat in them both quite a lot.  I bought the clam Kodiak yesterday.  It was that or the Commando---but the clam won out
---------deeper tub
---------seemed to be better designed and heavier construction too
---------seat fit my legs better-----didn't feel like they were dangling like commando

Offline 98600xc

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 06, 2009, 12:27 PM »
thanks for the info.  so I should probably go with the nanook over the trekker II?

Offline ice 45

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 06, 2009, 12:50 PM »
I bought the kodiak for my one man and i bought the trekker II for a two man shack i liked the seats better in the frabill

"The temptation to quit will be greatest just before you are about to succeed."

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 06, 2009, 12:57 PM »
i am not new ice fishing but I am new to this sight and this year i am looking to buy a new portable.  I am thinking about the clam nanook but i am not sure.  i am also some what interested in the frabill trekker dlx or trekker II.  feeedback would be nice thanks

The only way to truly know is to check them out yourself. You could be 6'6" tall and someone telling you what they bought could be 5'6" tall.  Sit in them both, check out how they are made, and decide what feels best for you.
Ken                                          

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 06, 2009, 05:11 PM »
If I was buying a new shack today my choice would be the Frabil Predator,  but I have a few years left in the Eskimo QFIII might find anew skin for it and reskin it when the time comes.

Offline 98600xc

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 08, 2009, 04:37 PM »
I am probably going to go with the clam nanook because I like swivel seats better than the bench seat in the frabill.  do you guys have any last thoughts on what I shold finally buy? feedback would be nice

Offline ZEKE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 09, 2009, 08:07 PM »
I like the Clams
 Have a eskimo Grand Caravan but want a 1 man also and the clam was light and felt good.

Offline 98600xc

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 09, 2009, 09:57 PM »
Alright. thanks for the feedback guys.  I am going to buy the nanook from marine general this weekend.  It should be awesome.

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Fanatic! >))))>
« Reply #9 on: Dec 10, 2009, 07:22 AM »

As Bean said if you can sit in as many as possible and then decide. You may also want to take weight and size of the flip over into consideration.

Those who are brave are free ..

Offline MaxAntonious

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 10, 2009, 11:05 AM »
I got the Trekker DLX and love it.  It has very nice seats that do swivel and you can move them right and left as well.  I plan on dragging it out by hand so I like the lighter weight.  81 lbs with both seats and only 68 lbs with one seat. (yea... the seats are really heavy).  I went back to the store darn near every day for a week and sat in every shanty there before I finally made up my mind, but so far I am happy with my choice.

Of course it helped that I picked mine up on sale for $320 and it came with the travel cover too  ;D
Fish Hard or Go Home

Offline 98600xc

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 10, 2009, 06:07 PM »
Well I have changed my thoughts and I am going to buy the clam basecamp thermal.  I like it better because it is thermal and it packs up very small and it is very light. so thanks for the feedback anyway guys.

Offline $ignmoney

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • My wife and I had words, I did't get to use mine
« Reply #12 on: Dec 10, 2009, 06:53 PM »
I go my self a lot and trying to get the hut and gear in and out of the truck is a back killer at times. ALWAYS remember you have to haul it via car,truck etc. so watch your weight. :flex:

Offline 98600xc

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 11, 2009, 07:04 PM »
Well I went and picked up the clam thermal base camp tonight.  wow.  I am very impressed with it.  it is roomy and seems like it will hod up and it seems like it will be very warm.  I am going to test it out tomorrow on one of the local lakes.  I am glad I went with the thermal canvas, especially when I go to lake of the woods. Well that pretty much ends this discussion, thanks for all the feedback guys and good luck fishing  :)

Offline Alex42

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 19, 2009, 10:23 AM »
Same with me..Deciding between the clam nanook and the frabil trekker II.  My buddy has the frabil trekker II and alls hes had is problems.  The tarp and the cover both went to crap.  Today is buying day though   :)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.