Author Topic: Camper ice shack lowering system  (Read 10461 times)

Offline 1969starcraft

• IceShanty Rookie
  • My 19 foot winter home
Camper ice shack lowering system
« on: Mar 09, 2009, 05:46 PM »
I have a 19 foot camper shack that I would like to be able to lower to the ice a little bit. I dont know if this is possible, or a good idea but suggestions, blueprints, or pictures would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Offline toddyrotten

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Nothing is idiot proof. Idiots are resourceful.
Re: Camper ice shack lowering system
« Reply #1 on: Mar 10, 2009, 06:52 AM »
Would leveling jacks (like whats on the front of  trailers) work? Mount them to the sides, They will pivot out of the way when not needed. Crank them up, crank them down.

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #2 on: Mar 10, 2009, 04:46 PM »
pics of camper?
Tastes like RockBass<br />                                             \"Official Horticulturalist of the NYRC\"

Offline mk_bovee

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 10, 2009, 04:47 PM »
Would leveling jacks (like whats on the front of  trailers) work? Mount them to the sides, They will pivot out of the way when not needed. Crank them up, crank them down.

maybe its just me, but it sounded like he was looking for a way to lower his camper, ( i.e. pivoting wheels).     unless he wants to go thru the expense of completely reconfiguring his frame, id suggest just cutting a few holes in the floor and using 5 gallon pails for liners.    that would be the easiest way to get it ready for use.
dont take life too seriously, you'll never get out of it alive                                            team broke azz

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #4 on: Mar 10, 2009, 04:49 PM »
The K.I.S.S. method is usually the best
Tastes like RockBass<br />                                             \"Official Horticulturalist of the NYRC\"

Offline toddyrotten

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 10, 2009, 07:52 PM »
I was talking about these. There is a frame around the perimeter of the bottom. It's just covered. Attach them to the outside in the corners. They would bolt through the frame. Crank away to lower/raise. This one is rated for 2000 pounds and the handle pivots to the side. They have the ones with the wheels too. If got the $$$$$, they make electric ones too. You could mount them on the inside too, and use the buckets for "liners" or shrouds, but interior room is a factor. If we had a pic of the camper, we could have some better ideas.Remember, like red green says, " If the women can't find you handsome, they had better find you handy."  :D

Offline 1969starcraft

• IceShanty Rookie
  • My 19 foot winter home
« Reply #6 on: Mar 10, 2009, 08:38 PM »
I cant figure out how to post a picture right now. If I click insert image it says img twice and I cant pick a picture. ??? If you guys can help talk me through this I will post one. Thanks

Offline mk_bovee

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Mar 11, 2009, 02:40 AM »
when starcraft siad he wanted to LOWER his CAMPER shack, i naturally assume he means a wheeled camper.  that means there are permenantly attached axle(s) and wheels. 

the jacks ya are talking about, toddy, wouldnt do him any good unless he removed the axles and wheels right there on the ice.    and that is a major job and a half...........

thats why i suggested using the 5 galllon pails, because to utilize lowering axles he would have to redo his whole frame under the camper

dont take life too seriously, you'll never get out of it alive                                            team broke azz

Offline 1969starcraft

• IceShanty Rookie
  • My 19 foot winter home
« Reply #8 on: Mar 11, 2009, 07:33 AM »
Ya I actually have wooden chutes with styrofoam on the inside that work very well. I was just wondering because im kind of high off the ice and it would be nice to be lower it. I will probably just leave it like it is.

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #9 on: Mar 11, 2009, 03:15 PM »
This could be the start to a Red Green episode... or should have been any way  ;D

Offline mk_bovee

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Mar 11, 2009, 04:04 PM »
This could be the start to a Red Green episode... or should have been any way  ;D

ya got that right jimmy       LOL
i wish i could get him again where i live now.   really mis his humor and his "inventions"        LOL

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #11 on: Mar 11, 2009, 05:16 PM »
Words to live by

"Keep your stick on the ice"

Offline toddyrotten

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Mar 11, 2009, 07:18 PM »
My bad, I miss understood what you meant with the buckets, sorry. As far as removing the axle, you just use locking pins in place of the bolts that hold the leaf spring to the frame. Raise the jacks to take the weight off, pull the pins, slide the axle assembly out from underneath, then lower the jacks. Problem solved. I'm not an engineer, but I do their work for them. Did you see that guys shanty where the wheels are mounted on the outside of the frame, and they tilt up? Now that was a good idea. Uses a hand crank ratchet winch to raise and lower them. There are pics of it in one of the topics. I forget which one. He did a real nice job on building that shanty.

Offline 1969starcraft

• IceShanty Rookie
  • My 19 foot winter home
« Reply #13 on: Mar 11, 2009, 08:39 PM »
That is a good idea with the pins but im not sure if that would be safe with a camper this size. I wouldnt want a pin to break or something and hurt someone. Im sure if the cops saw it I would be in trouble for messing with it at that point. Thanks anyway, heres the picture if it helps

Offline junior71991

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Mar 12, 2009, 10:09 PM »
My bad, I miss understood what you meant with the buckets, sorry. As far as removing the axle, you just use locking pins in place of the bolts that hold the leaf spring to the frame. Raise the jacks to take the weight off, pull the pins, slide the axle assembly out from underneath, then lower the jacks. Problem solved. I'm not an engineer, but I do their work for them. Did you see that guys shanty where the wheels are mounted on the outside of the frame, and they tilt up? Now that was a good idea. Uses a hand crank ratchet winch to raise and lower them. There are pics of it in one of the topics. I forget which one. He did a real nice job on building that shanty.

Here it is.

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=57937.0
Common Sense......Ain't That Common Anymore!

Offline toddyrotten

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Mar 12, 2009, 10:12 PM »
That's the one. That guy should build and sell them. Real nice job.

Offline junior71991

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Mar 12, 2009, 10:31 PM »
That's the one. That guy should build and sell them. Real nice job.

I will post pics when I build mine. It's going to be a 8 x 16 tandem axle crank down shack. The planning and money is whats holding me back. I want everything to be custom tailored to me so everything will be fabricated by me. Making the frame out of 2 x 4 inch rectangular tubing, all the way up to aluminum siding like they use on cargo trailers. It should be sweet.

Offline indeeptreble

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Every hour you fish adds an hour to your life!
« Reply #17 on: Mar 12, 2009, 10:48 PM »
if you just plan on fishing for the day using your auger start drilling consecutive holes in the tire tracks  gradually getting deeper till you get to the depth of the axle on both tracks. then drive er right in just don't let any water in or your screwed. Just joking. around here I see the campers without wheels and blocked up.   

Offline junior71991

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Mar 12, 2009, 11:40 PM »
Starcraft, where are you located?

Me and a friend built a crank down axle set up on his pop up camper frame. It turned out well. I would help you out if your anywhere near me.

Offline 1969starcraft

• IceShanty Rookie
  • My 19 foot winter home
« Reply #19 on: Mar 17, 2009, 07:14 PM »
finally able to post a picture.

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!

Offline icefisher-45

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Apr 06, 2009, 06:42 PM »
Looks great. Good job :)
Take a kid ice fishing

Offline 1969starcraft

• IceShanty Rookie
  • My 19 foot winter home
« Reply #22 on: Apr 06, 2009, 09:31 PM »
Junior, I am from wisconsin rapids, but I have decided to save the time and money and just put plywood around it to keep the wind off my hole sleeves. This should help to keep the holes from freezing up even better on those cold nights.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.