The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Looking at Buying a Vexilar  (Read 3505 times)

Offline nindo24

• Team IceShanty Regular
Looking at Buying a Vexilar
« on: Nov 23, 2019, 11:48 AM »
I'm looking at buying a Vexilar but I'm not sure which to purchase. I fish in less than 100' of water, typically less than 60', mostly less than 30'. Any suggestions on which model as well as which transducer?

Thank You
Keep Your Stick On The Ice!

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Looking at Buying a Vexilar
« Reply #1 on: Nov 23, 2019, 11:56 AM »
Vexilar FL-18 with a 12 deg transducer would be my recommendation ..9 deg are for deep water and 19 deg are for shallow ..since your fishing a mixture 12 deg will give you a great all around transducer ..the FL-18 is bullet proof time tested unit .

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Nov 23, 2019, 12:42 PM »

X2 , pro pack fit in a bucket genz box won’t
  Plus vex has reconditioned units

Offline Black Jack

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 24, 2019, 09:34 AM »
I've had the Vexilar Flx-28 for three years and fish mainly 25-40 foot water. Love it and can't see how any other finder could be better. It's my first and has changed my whole approach to ice fishing. Regret not getting one years ago.

Offline nindo24

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 24, 2019, 08:05 PM »
Thank you everybody so far for your input. Definitely more to think about than I thought.

Offline Jagger0502

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 25, 2019, 10:42 AM »
I have had quite a few different ones from Marcum to vex. If I had to sell them all and stick with only one it would be the 18. Like said before. Tested and continues to be one of the most popular for a reason. Consider if you will ever use it on a boat or kayak over the summer because it has bottom lock. So do others but I would not get one without it after fishing out of a boat for crappie. Makes it a year round tool for fishing and a lot of fun out the side of a boat. I just toss it over the side on a float and fish below it.
Dad- “Did I wait to long? Should I have set the hook? “ Me- “I am fairly certain fish don’t have hands....”

“GET EM!” - Scott Odonnell

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 27, 2019, 05:39 PM »
It will boil down to what you want to spend. An FLX28 with the tri beam ducer is going to have more features and do pretty much everything the cheaper units do and more, but it costs the most. Go on Vexilars website and compare the features and see what fits your needs and your budget. I have an FL18 and FL22HD with dual beam 9/19, 12 degree and 19 degree ducers. I like the dual beam the best (now vexilar has the tri beam only) and I use the 9 degree the most. Having different cone angles does help a lot in tuning the unit to the specific conditions you are fishing in. As for the boxes I like the Genz box the best. I've used the ProPak 2, still like the Genz box most. Never had any issues with my Vexilar units or ducers.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #7 on: Nov 27, 2019, 05:50 PM »
Vexilar no longer makes the tribeam.only the proview is available for switching cone angles now.the 12 degree ducer is a good all around depth transducer if one does not like the proview which is 9 degrees that widens with gain.

Offline capt.crappie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 28, 2019, 02:56 PM »
I have a fl 12. It has the low power feature for shallow weedy lakes. It does everything I need it to do. Honestly in real shallow water 5 ft or less . You dont really need anything.  For deep water. like suspended crappies . Its the cats meow !!

Offline nindo24

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 30, 2019, 06:51 PM »

X2 , pro pack fit in a bucket genz box won’t
  Plus vex has reconditioned units

Do you find a difference in quality between the new products over the reconditioned products?

Offline theTUGistheDRUG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 03, 2019, 07:37 PM »
I got an FLX-28 pro pack unit reconditioned 2-3 years ago.  No issues for me.  Jury still out on the pro-view (think I would have preferred a tri-beam), but is what it is.  I love the thing, it is addicting like a video game.  I recommend going to a lake trout fishery once you get one and you will never look back.  SO MUCH FUN!  Looking to upgrade to Lithium Ion soon to shave a few lbs.

Offline happyheber

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tie on a Maniac the fish'll go crazy!!!
« Reply #11 on: Dec 03, 2019, 07:59 PM »

Do you find a difference in quality between the new products over the reconditioned products?

Hey I would like to give my 2 cents. I have had every model they have made. I now have the FLX-28. I love it and I love the pro view transducer. I fish in 30-70 feet of water for Perch and Walleye. I love the separation and the vividness of the 28 over all the ones I've owned. I have held company Ice fishing Derby's for about 12 years. Ive done 2 a year and give away Vexlar FL-18 that were reconditioned. For first prize in every derby. Now that the majority of my guys own a vexlar I pick out the best pole sled or gadget that comes out new every year to give away in prizes. Vexlar's customer service is second to none. I do have an extra 18 that I use to introduce my friend or friends to the wonderful world of flashers. I did a pro view transducer for it also. This year I had to buy an FL-18 from Vexlar because they didn't have any reconditioned ones. Go figure. I would suggest you buy a 28 reconditioned cause that's a good deal on it. Ask them if they will throw in one of their 60 year anniversary hats with it. I'll bet they will ;) Tight Lines HH

Offline nindo24

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 05, 2019, 08:45 PM »
I pulled the trigger on a Vexilar FLX-12. It's due to be delivered this upcoming Tuesday, and I may purchase the proview ducer. Thank you for those who genuinely contributed to my original question.

Offline Mr. Charlie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 06, 2019, 06:58 AM »
I love my 12 in the pro pack. It does everything I need it to in PA. Congrats and enjoy.
Keep yer worms warm!

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #14 on: Dec 06, 2019, 08:19 AM »
I pulled the trigger on a Vexilar FLX-12. It's due to be delivered this upcoming Tuesday, and I may purchase the proview ducer. Thank you for those who genuinely contributed to my original question.

Congrats ..I have a FL12 as a backup/spare ..great unit for beginners ..EZPZ to explain,read and understand ..the FLX12 models have some bonus features that are nice for the ice angler. Keep that battery charged ..and recharge after each and every outing( after warming up to room temperature)

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline geothefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tightlines and safe ice to you all!
« Reply #15 on: Dec 13, 2019, 09:05 PM »
I have an FL-8 and a FL-12 and love them both.  They still work like new and are worth every penny!  Long lasting, durable product that I would recommend to anyone!
   Me and my son/fishing buddy AKA gfisher95 

Offline wiggly812

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 20, 2019, 05:40 PM »
  I love mine.  Good choice.
If you ain't havin fun, you ain't doing it right.

Offline curtrein

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 21, 2019, 05:29 AM »
While trying to figure out what you want don’t overlook Marcum as well. I got a Vex and didn’t care for the constant humming. Got an M1 and was much better. Go out with someone that has each of them and compare that way if you can.

Offline nindo24

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 21, 2019, 07:22 AM »
While trying to figure out what you want don’t overlook Marcum as well. I got a Vex and didn’t care for the constant humming. Got an M1 and was much better. Go out with someone that has each of them and compare that way if you can.

Didn't pay attention to the post where I stated that I pulled the trigger on an FLX12, did you?

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #19 on: Dec 21, 2019, 07:32 AM »

Didn't pay attention to the post where I stated that I pulled the trigger on an FLX12, did you?
no humming with that unit either.lol

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #20 on: Dec 21, 2019, 08:11 AM »

What transducer/case did you go with  your FLX12 set up?

Offline nindo24

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 21, 2019, 07:37 PM »
What transducer/case did you go with  your FLX12 set up?

Genz pack with the standard ducer. I'm going to wait to get the proview.

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #22 on: Dec 22, 2019, 12:33 PM »
Genz pack with the standard ducer. I'm going to wait to get the proview.

"Standard"??? Not really a thing.. I am assuming the 12 deg ..which would be great middle of the road ..have fun with your new toy/investment .

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #23 on: Dec 22, 2019, 01:01 PM »
"Standard"??? Not really a thing.. I am assuming the 12 deg ..which would be great middle of the road ..have fun with your new toy/investment .

My current FL-8 came with a 19*. I switched it out with a 12*.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline nindo24

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Dec 22, 2019, 01:05 PM »

As you would need to upgrade, or downgrade for that matter, it comes from the factory with a 12 degree. Hence standard. So yes, standard is a thing, for that model, unless you want something different.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #25 on: Dec 22, 2019, 01:08 PM »
My current FL-8 came with a 19*. I switched it out with a 12*.
12 working out good?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.