Author Topic: Newbie  (Read 595 times)

Offline jd906esc

• IceShanty Rookie
« on: Jan 03, 2013, 10:47 AM »
I have gone ice fishing a few (under 10) times with others and really loved it and want to get into it on my own.  Just got a portable shack and an auger and other basic gear.  What are some tips, skills, info that I need to learn to be successful and safe?  Escanaba/Gladstone area.   Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Very limited fishing experience overall.  Hoping to learn as much as I can.

Offline big bobber

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • cant fish during the day...learn to fish at night
Re: Newbie
« Reply #1 on: Jan 03, 2013, 10:57 AM »
depends on your target?where ya fishing?if on bay de noc and being a newbie...be careful...
i just know they will bite if i stay another hour.

Offline jd906esc

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 03, 2013, 11:06 AM »
When I have gone with others it has been by Kipling and in the Harbor in Escanaba. 

Offline Gimper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 03, 2013, 11:31 AM »
Got a spud bar? It's a long bar (pipe) with a chisel on the end. They sell them at most bait shops around there. Keep the chisel sharp. Test the ice with it and lay down a 'go/no go' law for yourself that you won't break. An example would be that you won't take another step if the spud goes thru on the second hard hit to the same spot on the ice. Most folks say one hit with the spud is too thin and two is fine, but I trust three a bunch more.

When you pick up minnows, ask the folks selling them to you what the conditions are. Remember, they are usually getting the info second hand, as they are selling bait and not out fishing, but most of them have been doing it long enough to get a feel for what is BS and what they can trust to pass on.

On the bay, if the ice starts cracking, don't stick around to see if it will stop. By then it's usually too late. Also on the bay, for early ice, south winds aren't usually as bad as north winds, especially south of Gladstone.

You're gonna get spoiled catching walleyes and will think all other people on this planet are catching dinks. Green Pimples in a size #3 and perch or fire tiger colored jigging Raps are all you'll need. Follow the grumpy guy around but don't ask him too many questions. If you do, he'll tell you to go away kid, you're bothering him.

Ice fishing on the bay can be long periods of no action mixed with a few moments here and there of enough adrenaline to make lesser men pass out. Have fun with it.

Offline big bobber

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • cant fish during the day...learn to fish at night
« Reply #4 on: Jan 03, 2013, 11:46 AM »
okay...all newbies...go to profile ...add your location so others know where you are.
i just know they will bite if i stay another hour.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.