Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Catfish

CATFISH !!!!!!!!

(1/3) > >>

MULLSKINNER:
who catches catfish through the ice ??? any tips on catching them ? and what bait ? do you catch any on tip ups
many thanks ,
Mullskinner ..... ;D

PolarEscape:
I catch Channel Cats all the time. I usually use Live Shiners, I have caught them on Crappie minnows Too, Also I have caught them using Jiggin Rapalas w/ Minnow heads on them. Yes They are pretty easy to catch with live bait on tip ups, I never use dead bait but I would think that a catfish would probably eat them just as well. My bait was usually walleye size baits. Same techniques, if there are Cats there they should bite. Good Luck!!!

MULLSKINNER:
ANY CERTAIN WATER DEPTH THEY SEEM TO LIKE ? DEEPEST PART OF THE LAKE ? OR JUST ANY WERE ?ANY TYPE OF BOTTOM THEY LIKE ?  WE SEEM TO PICK THEM UP ON OCATION FISHING FOR SAUGEYE'S ...SAME TYPE OF AREA IT SEEMS ..
THANKS FOR THE INFO ..
MULLSKINNER

walleyeslayer:

--- Quote from: MULLSKINNER on Feb 02, 2007, 07:11 PM ---who catches catfish through the ice ??? any tips on catching them ? and what bait ? do you catch any on tip ups
many thanks ,
Mullskinner ..... ;D

--- End quote ---
ive always caught them on tip-ups, with shiners.  caught a monster on a swedish pimple tipped with shiner once.  he was  big,  his lips were wider than my 6 inch hole.  all i saw were lips, and whiskers.  all were caught at night.  ive caught quite a few bullhead in the day, on everything from teardrops tipped with waxies to minnows on spoons.  so, if youre on a lake with cats, id say use stinkbait, cant go wrong with stinkbait, maybe some chum?  i know they bite in the winter

Barleydog:
I used to catch theem through the ice many years back in Wis.  We found where they staged prior to breakup, (in the outlet of a river that dumped into a lake.)  Then we used tip-ups at night on the really late season ice baited with dead smelt and placed 6" off the bottom.  They were actually a really good fight, and not bad on the smoker.  Good luck :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version