Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Whitefish

whitefish

<< < (2/5) > >>

Jam_Jam:
I usually find them cruising very close to shore in 5-10' of water.  If there is a drop off from 5 to 10' of water I would concentrate on that area.  Where I fish if I fished in 25' of water I'd probably catch 5% of the fish I catch in shallower.  As has been said if there is one there will be lots so if you don't catch anything in an hour or maybe even less then move on.  Cover lots of water until you find them.  I'd use a single maggot before shrimp.  I learned the one maggot trick from an asian fellow some years back.  I was having no luck getting them to bite and he took one look at set up with a fairly big hook (#10-12) with 4-5 maggots on it and shook his head.  He gave me a slim size #16 hook and told me to put one maggot on it...lo and behold I got fish from that day on and even got a 22" rainbow with that setup.  Sometimes less is more.  Good luck

fishermanjake:
i have been fishing quite the dropoff, its 20 feet or less from shore, so you think if i move in close to shore that will be the ticket? by the way, i'm up in fairbanks, so i  don't think maggots are an option for me.

Jam_Jam:
Even a fly with nothing will work if its got a bit of light colored and I find a bit of red helps too....I'm sure a little chunk of shrimp would work but I haven't tried that (keep it little).  A steep bank is not good you want to look for a nice relatively flat muddy/weedy ledge...I'm thinking where the lake drops down to a 5-15' flat which is say 10 or 20' wide at least and preferably wider although if that isn't around they'll have no choice but to make do with what they are given.  I'm really not sure what range of habitat you have where you are.  They have small mouths and have alot of predators after them so they generally forage for bugs up on the flats...at least thats what I've found.

fishermanjake:
I'm trying to fish them in the tanana river, there is an eddy nearby that fits that discription except for the weeds.  I know there are alot of whitefish in the system and i think your advice will help even though it is a different environment.  I have only caught one whitefish here and that was in that 20 foot deep spot, the grayling seem to appreciate my efforts though. I have caught half a dozen of them, couple 15-16 incher to boot.

bushbunny:
I have found the best way to catch whitefish is with a net. ;D ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version