The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: The Gorge Burbot Bash conditions  (Read 1747 times)

Offline Duckbutter

• IceShanty Rookie
The Gorge Burbot Bash conditions
« on: Jan 25, 2022, 11:34 AM »
Hello, and thanks for any info in advance.  I have participated in the burbot bash, and the now defunct burbot classic which I loved, a number of times in the past, and in years with poor ice conditions where most people are jam packed north of Buckboard, mainly north of the confluence,  I really haven't enjoyed fishing shoulder to shoulder and the fishing has been less than ideal.

This year I will be fishing with my young kids, (8, 10, 11) and since there isn't a kid competition we have zero chance actually competing, so not doing the tournament and messing with the weigh ins.  That said, any recent reports of the ice extending south, at least south through Big Bend to the Skunk Cliffs?  That would at least spread the crowds enough to thin the herd.  Further south to Middle Marsh Creek would even be icing on the cake.  With all the traffic associated with the bash, if there isn't enough hard cap it won't be worth it for us to pull the kids from school early and drive up from Colorado. 

Once again, thanks for the advice and tight lines.
Part time dentist, full time father and fisherman

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
Re: The Gorge Burbot Bash conditions
« Reply #1 on: Jan 25, 2022, 12:56 PM »
Duck,

We have had high winds this week which knocked us backwards a bit. There is some ribboning of ice from just south of confluence through big bend but nothing is locked up besides the back of some coves. With that said we池e supposed to have lows near 0 the next few days, but I just don稚 know if that will do any good. Otherwise, the only game in town is really just confluence and north.
Trent Williams
When hell freezes over, I値l ice fish there too!

Offline Duckbutter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 25, 2022, 01:24 PM »
That is what I was afraid of.  We may hit  Fish Lake or Blue Mesa instead, thanks for the info!

For all those that are participating, good luck and stay safe.  I don't want to hear about someone falling through or getting nailed by gas exhaust this year.

All I want are two weeks of record cold every December.  Is that really too much to ask?
Part time dentist, full time father and fisherman

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 26, 2022, 03:07 PM »
That is what I was afraid of.  We may hit  Fish Lake or Blue Mesa instead, thanks for the info!

For all those that are participating, good luck and stay safe.  I don't want to hear about someone falling through or getting nailed by gas exhaust this year.

All I want are two weeks of record cold every December.  Is that really too much to ask?

I think that is the safest bet and  I知 with you, I just pray for safety. Too many bad decisions in these derbies!
Trent Williams

Offline appleye

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 26, 2022, 04:20 PM »
I think that is the safest bet and  I知 with you, I just pray for safety. Too many bad decisions in these derbies!

I know guys that will sleep on the ice not knowing if there heater is going to work!  ::)   ;D
In the memory of "Team Lighting" Fish ON!
No one ever says,"Man that fish tastes small.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
« Reply #5 on: Jan 26, 2022, 05:49 PM »
I know guys that will sleep on the ice not knowing if there heater is going to work!  ::)   ;D

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: sorry trent but that's funny stuff right there
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 26, 2022, 07:43 PM »

HAHAHA! Heaters are for softies anyway  ;D
Trent Williams

Offline fish/hunt4ever

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 26, 2022, 08:35 PM »
Just need a black fire generator and the electric sleeping bag or heater to run. See a few people going with the electric generator a cool concept just a little pricey for me, but might be a safer option for heaters.

https://www.blackfire.com/shop/portable-power-stations

Offline reelrusty

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 27, 2022, 02:32 PM »
 Been lookin at Bluetti for summer use. Never thought of shanty use 'til 'yall mention it. How's the performance? I've heard lithium doesn't perform well in really cold temps. I've always used my Big Buddy and so far survived although sometimes with a morning headache that really couldn't be as the result of other types of antifreeze! ;D

Offline massNtrash

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 28, 2022, 09:28 AM »

Bahahahaha  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Dorado

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 28, 2022, 09:31 AM »
I did the ice camping thing a few weeks back at Boysen, and was toasty warm all night with single digit temperatures outside.  I had a Mr. Buddy heater on low inside an insulated hut, with 2 sleeping pads on a cot and a -20 sleeping bag.  Never even zipped it up.  I bought a carbon monoxide alarm for $25, for safety and peace of mind...

I was so comfortable I overslept ;D

Offline olefish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 28, 2022, 07:15 PM »
Till I built my hut I tent camped on the ice and most the time it was not terrible but still challenging.  I had my son out and it hit -32 and you know what he never wanted to do it again, I wonder why?  The thing that gets most people is the ice booming under you at night, not much sleep. Last night on Boysen it was -3 and the ice worked all night and even in the hut it was hard to get a sound sleep.
olefish

Offline Elkhnter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 29, 2022, 11:32 AM »
The other thing i've done is i have a large flannel sleeping bag and then stuff my negative bag inside it, wear a stocking hat and usually toasty all night long without a heater. Getting out-of-her in the morning is chilly for the first few moments till the heaters lit up but 10 minutes later back to t-shirt in the hut.
Marvin

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.