Author Topic: Sheefish  (Read 6433 times)

Offline kwackkillncrew

• Team IceShanty Regular
Sheefish
« on: Feb 25, 2021, 02:33 PM »
To the 7 people who are still on this forum , do you have any tips for fishing for these things in kotz? headed up there in 4 weeks. From what i have seen alot of people use big spoons. going to be bringing some of them as well as an assortment of big tubes. any info on depths to look for or anything like that is appreciated. I know people fish right out side of town and in the hotham inlet. Probably just go around on sleds and try to find some blood on the ice or people and try to get some intel when we get up there. Seems to be a very social fishery and people dont have issues with sharing info.
I will never be a "Prostaffer" because I dont pimp products fo free

Offline Bushwhack Jack

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Sheefish
« Reply #1 on: Feb 25, 2021, 04:54 PM »
To the 7 people who are still on this forum , do you have any tips for fishing for these things in kotz? headed up there in 4 weeks. From what i have seen alot of people use big spoons. going to be bringing some of them as well as an assortment of big tubes. any info on depths to look for or anything like that is appreciated. I know people fish right out side of town and in the hotham inlet. Probably just go around on sleds and try to find some blood on the ice or people and try to get some intel when we get up there. Seems to be a very social fishery and people dont have issues with sharing info.

Kwackkillncrew, there used to be a couple guys on the Alaska outdoor forum that fished out of Kotz for sheefish a lot.  One of the guys was named Jedisalmonslayer or something like that.  The other guy had the handle Bigcox.  I haven't seen them post in a long time but it seemed like they were pretty dialed in to the sheefish out there.  Try sending them a private message.  They used to have a website called the salmon slayers or something like that.  I will see if I can find the website for you and send you a link. 

Offline Bushwhack Jack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 25, 2021, 04:55 PM »
Kwackkillncrew, there used to be a couple guys on the Alaska outdoor forum that fished out of Kotz for sheefish a lot.  One of the guys was named Jedisalmonslayer or something like that.  The other guy had the handle Bigcox.  I haven't seen them post in a long time but it seemed like they were pretty dialed in to the sheefish out there.  Try sending them a private message.  They used to have a website called the salmon slayers or something like that.  I will see if I can find the website for you and send you a link.

Their names are Dennis Musgraves and Chris Cox.  They have a facebook page here.

https://www.facebook.com/Alaskan-Salmon-Slayers-163016960411004/

Try getting in touch with them.  I am sure they can help you out.

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 25, 2021, 09:22 PM »
Holy crap there’s 7 of us now.
I was born an Alaskan I just didn't live here at the time.

Offline coast51

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 26, 2021, 07:06 AM »
And then there was 7. 

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Mar 11, 2021, 09:57 PM »
Chris lived in Kotz for quite a while.
He helped my buddy from Soldotna out when he did a trip up that way for sheefish.
I heard from Dennis that Chris has moved to ER now.
Chris has been pretty quiet since marriage and kiddies.

Offline kwackkillncrew

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Mar 12, 2021, 02:25 PM »
ya i know those guys  used to frequent this site but i think they got chastised by a few people on here and got sick of it. Or they just put most of their content on facebook now since thats where all the crowds hang out. i dont see them post up on any of the forums any more.

Offline Rex in OTZ

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Apr 02, 2021, 09:47 AM »
If your comming out to OTZ remember to check the City Kotzebue web sight on Covid mandates
https://www.cityofkotzebue.com/
same with NWAB borough website about the quarentine requirements
https://www.nwabor.org/covid-19-information/
, just month ago temps were in the -30's.
OAT° temps run the -1's and -10's
In 5 days we have had 4 of winds over 25mph and forcast to blow and snow again and the 10 day forcast is up and down today was -11°F when I checked 6am.
Reports of a few folks catching a handfull, still nothing steady or reliable as the schools migrate (Kobuk Lake is a big place aka Hotham Inlet)
Reports been patchy, folks report catching up at the mouth of the Noatak River(WTK) some fish over by Crowley Dock the outter edge of the channel where is slopes to shallows.
And reports of people catching at Pipe Spit (thin ice area) but spotty.
Nelsons camp where the creek mouth feeds into Kobuk Lake is a good spot.
Some have gone south down the Baldwin Pen to fish by Calahan Cabin and some venture east out onto Selawik Lake.
Be prepaired to have to travel 20 miles, have tackle with 80-100 lb test, must have a gaff, have enough line (48') 8 fathom's you can fish the trench, braided spider line, but most places you might fish 3-4 fathoms.
Most times you see folks use a 4" gold Dr Spoon.
Ive also had good luck with 4" Red Devil
Can see what KIC ACE Hardware stocks or Rotmans Store, alaska commercial company has never really been tuned into local fishing so dont expect to find much at AC.
Dress warm, can still expect -17° and winds up to 15mph.
Leave your 8" ice auger home.
Bring the 10"
Ice chisel, hole scoop, and a can-do attitude and lots a cash.
I think KIC still rents snowmobiles.
Check the Kotzebue Facebook posts.

Offline kwackkillncrew

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Apr 02, 2021, 11:33 AM »
we were actually up there Sunday-thursday, just got back yesterday. Did most of our fishing on the north/east end of kobuk lake. We tried pikes pt and the mouth of the noatak but only pulled up cod in those areas. got all of our fish on the noth/east side of the kobuk lake ended up with 16 with the average fish being around 15 pounds and our biggest was 20 pounds, so no monsters but enough to keep it fun. It was quite the adventure going out in extreme white out conditions and traveling across kobuk lake is no joke when its like that. of course when we left thursday it was bluebird out. in the 3 days of fishing i think we put on about 170 miles. We will be doing it again but it will probably be a mid april trip next time.

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Apr 03, 2021, 12:43 PM »
That looks like a fun trip.  What were you guys using?  I’m going to have to do that in a couple years.  I can’t do it next year because of a trip I’m already planning but 2023 for sure.  Oh and did you bring any home and were they good eating?
I was born an Alaskan I just didn't live here at the time.

Offline Bushwhack Jack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Apr 03, 2021, 10:44 PM »
That's freaking awesome!  Sheefish is high up on my bucket list.  My wife and I floated the Kobuk River once and the rain was so bad we got flooded out and had to evacuate down to Kobuk village because there were no dry places to camp or sleep along the river.  I was pretty bummed out but vowed to make it back some day to try to catch some eskimo tarpon!  Good job Kwackillncrew.

Offline kwackkillncrew

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Apr 05, 2021, 11:31 AM »
used 4-5" spoons mostly. caught one on a big tube jig. The best spoon was a 4" sliver spoon that had a rattle on it along with a 2" mister twister tail hanging off one of the trebles. haha no idea why that was working but that set up caught majority of the fish. They hit pretty decent and the fight leaves a little to be desired but that might be because we were getting them in 5' of water. Caught loads of tom cod as well. probaby should have kept some of them for the frying pan. Probably do that next time. As rex said the weather when we were up there was no joke. Probably the toughest weather i have ice fished in/navigated in. Only reason i see needing 80 pound line is if you are hand lineing them or if you got a real monster on to help it round the corner to get up the hole. if you bring a gaf make sure you can tie it on to a stick or make sure its atleast 6' long.

Offline Rex in OTZ

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2022, 12:39 PM »
Couple weeks ago.

Offline kwackkillncrew

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2022, 03:28 PM »
nice! if we do it again we will be going late april for sure.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.