Author Topic: Catch & Release ... WHO & WHY?  (Read 18360 times)

Offline Hatandboots

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Catch & Release ... WHO & WHY?
« Reply #180 on: Nov 26, 2021, 03:48 PM »
Not a fan of slots, don't care to be forced to release dead fish. If fish aren't going to make it they should be kept or at least count against your limit imo. Regs in ND are pretty basic with almost no size restrictions and I have no complaints about quality of fishing here. Would rather see limits decreased than add slots.

What do you mean forced to release dead fish? It's pretty simple here. You catch a walleye that is too large for the table, so you take your picture and put it back. Minimum time out of the water. You really shouldn't have any dead fish? Unless you are fishing in too deep of water to release them.

Here in Sask the fishing is nothing like what it was 50 years ago, or even 25 years ago and it probably isn't much different down there. Stricter limits and slots are essential to safeguard the pops. I agree that limits should be reduced to avoid abuse, but slots on some lakes just improve the quality and number of fish. Not everywhere, but in some fisheries.

Offline Hatandboots

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #181 on: Nov 26, 2021, 03:55 PM »
I don’t agree with slot limits while ice fishing because you have to measure the fish.  When measuring fish ice fishing this usually involves laying the fish on the ice and keeping it out of the water longer than necessary only to find out you have to release it.  I think most of us know what happens when you lay a releasable fish on the ice, you freeze off its slime layer and possibly freeze it’s eyes and fins causing permanent damage or even death of the fish.  Now before everyone jumps my case just remember that fishing in general always has the potential to kill the fish if you C&R but we need to take whatever steps possible to reduce damage to the fish.  There is no perfect equation for C&R we just need to do the best we can and slot limits through the ice in my opinion are not good for C&R.

I haven't heard too much about slime freezing. The YouTubers stress that dipping the board in the water helps protect the fish, and then minimum time out of water to protect their eyes and gills. I guess if you are fishing outside the shack and it is very cold then it would make sense to just get em back down asap.
Fishing inside a warm tent protects the fish you pull up too, and gives you more time to measure em.

Offline capt.crappie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #182 on: Nov 26, 2021, 05:36 PM »
I keep enough for a meal & then I throw them back.  I don't freeze fish. If Im hungry for fish I go catch more. Fish are easy to get anytime of the year. Why freeze them ? frozen fish comes in a yellow box  :o I don't eat trout too fishy 

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #183 on: Nov 26, 2021, 05:47 PM »
Too deep of water, deep hooked fish, poor handling, extreme weather conditions. Plenty of people mean well and release fish only for them to be floating later that day. The musky study is an example of that. (I personally don't musky fish when surface temps are high but some think it's acceptable) From my experience most don't take barotrauma serious and believe any fish that makes it under the ice is going to live. In deep water situations Id much rather keep my couple fish and quit than possibly killing more than my limit. Same goes for deep hooked fish, rather count them against my limit than kill an extra fish.

Fishing in ND is "better than ever" "we're living in the golden years”  according to some involved in our fisheries management. I personally agree with them to an extent.
I have no idea how fishing is in sask but I do know we generally remember the past much better than it truly was. Don't know anyone who takes pictures to help remember the days they got skunked  ;D

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #184 on: Nov 26, 2021, 07:00 PM »
I keep enough for a meal & then I throw them back.  I don't freeze fish. If Im hungry for fish I go catch more. Fish are easy to get anytime of the year. Why freeze them ? frozen fish comes in a yellow box  :o I don't eat trout too fishy

I ice fish every chance I get and limit out quite a bit. I freeze 500-1000 fish every winter gets me through the year until it's time to ice fish again. I work construction so summer time is busy season and I don't get much open water fishing in.
If you sit around all day and do nothing your a bum, but if you sit in a boat all day or in a shanty and do nothing they call you a fisherman

Offline eyeflyer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #185 on: Nov 26, 2021, 08:46 PM »
I watch a lot of ice fishing videos on Youtube and I see a LOT of catch and release videos.
Jen and I are always sitting there asking each other why. I mean... It wouldn't even occur to us, unless they were not keepers or were breeders.

But all the time, we are seeing eaters being tossed all day long and none kept too many time.
We just dont get it.

Anyone here that can explain this to me, I would listen with an open mind but I honestly just dont get it.

If you have a self sustaining fishery eating a few is fine. Where I am from most fisheries (pike, walleye, perch, whitefish)are declared vulnerable which means they don't have enough breeders to sustain the fishery and you don't get more breeders if you are keeping lots of eaters. Almost all our lakes for walleye are on a draw system, with slot limits and you have to put in for a draw to keep walleye. If drawn it is about 2-3 fish per year out of that lake for the year for that species and you only get 1 (walleye) draw per year. Stillwater trout lakes are stocked and most are managed as "put and take" fisheries and allow a harvest of 5 trout/day any size.  Rivers are not stocked but most have very small if any harvest limits with slot limits. Our govt. for the most part refuses to put money into stocking with the exception of trout fisheries. I have always liked catching fish more than eating them and in our province "catch and release" is the only reason we have a fishery at all.

Offline NEWLEE

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Marcum then catch 'em
« Reply #186 on: Nov 27, 2021, 01:26 AM »
Lakes and rivers should be managed so people can take some fish home to eat. If they can't handle that and are catch and release only I will not be wasting my time there.

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #187 on: Nov 27, 2021, 05:54 AM »
If you have a self sustaining fishery eating a few is fine. Where I am from most fisheries (pike, walleye, perch, whitefish)are declared vulnerable which means they don't have enough breeders to sustain the fishery and you don't get more breeders if you are keeping lots of eaters. Almost all our lakes for walleye are on a draw system, with slot limits and you have to put in for a draw to keep walleye. If drawn it is about 2-3 fish per year out of that lake for the year for that species and you only get 1 (walleye) draw per year. Stillwater trout lakes are stocked and most are managed as "put and take" fisheries and allow a harvest of 5 trout/day any size.  Rivers are not stocked but most have very small if any harvest limits with slot limits. Our govt. for the most part refuses to put money into stocking with the exception of trout fisheries. I have always liked catching fish more than eating them and in our province "catch and release" is the only reason we have a fishery at all.

dang that really sounds bad.  what state are you in?  what happened to your lakes around there?  im with newlee, i wouldnt even fish lakes like that.  maybe they should shut them down to fishing for a few years so they can rebound?
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #188 on: Nov 27, 2021, 12:17 PM »
Buddy of mine did a lot of research over the last few years and found that even though the food savers work that there is a better option. He gets into freezers and stuff too. 

Really smart guy.

Thought I would share.  Looking to get one of these chamber vacs myself.

I have an Avid Armor USV32 and it's amazing. We have the occasional bag that loses seal, but it's rare. We love that we can easily vacuum seal soups, gravy, etc. It's expensive, but well worth it. I'm hoping to have the opportunity to use it to process my own deer this year too!

Offline eyeflyer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #189 on: Nov 27, 2021, 01:02 PM »
Lakes and rivers should be managed so people can take some fish home to eat. If they can't handle that and are catch and release only I will not be wasting my time there.

I fish over 50 days a year and rarely keep any but I have never wasted time fishing............... ...ever. Some of the best memories I have are when I am fishing with friends and family and deciding not to keep fish doesn't really effect my experience, but each to their own.

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #190 on: Nov 27, 2021, 02:24 PM »
I fish over 50 days a year and rarely keep any but I have never wasted time fishing............... ...ever. Some of the best memories I have are when I am fishing with friends and family and deciding not to keep fish doesn't really effect my experience, but each to their own.

+1 on this. I fish 50-80 days a year, depending on the weather, and most years I keep somewhere between 2 and about a dozen fish for the entire year, and some years none at all. I never really consider it a waste of time being out, either.

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #191 on: Nov 27, 2021, 02:26 PM »
I fish for the joy but most of all to eat.
If you sit around all day and do nothing your a bum, but if you sit in a boat all day or in a shanty and do nothing they call you a fisherman

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #192 on: Nov 27, 2021, 08:56 PM »
  We all need to remember that we all fish for different reasons and there is no right or wrong way to do it as long as you are not breaking the law.  I support anyone who only fishes for food and I support anyone who only fishes for sport because “We” as a fishing community need to stand together so we can defend ourselves against those who want to take away our rights to fish and hunt.  The best weapon the anti’s have against us is to separate us and make us fight amongst ourselves giving them the in they need to slip in some BS reg that works to take away our rights.  Threads like this are dangerous and helps develop opposition amongst us.  It didn’t dawn on me till I went back and reread the thread and noticed all the arguing going on but I think it would be very smart if the OP would delete this thread.  I hope every one has a safe and fun season.
I was born an Alaskan I just didn't live here at the time.

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #193 on: Nov 27, 2021, 09:30 PM »

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #194 on: Nov 27, 2021, 10:21 PM »
For Youtubers, the video and the revenue it can generate are far more important than the fish. Anything that someone else might object to is going to impact their views and revenue. No one I know likes to see anyone else catch and keep fish except them.

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
« Reply #195 on: Nov 28, 2021, 03:32 AM »

I see that this topic has many different responses, Fishing is fun but I do like eating fish. I keep what I am going to eat. There are some people
          that fish for the numbers and they don't eat them all. They go to waste in the freezer. When Perch fishing, we're allowed 50 a day, me I only keep
          about 15 for a meal with family. As for bigger fish Like Lake Trout we're allowed 2 a day with various lengths depending on the body of water. I only
          keep one but might catch and release a dozen or so.

IW

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #196 on: Nov 28, 2021, 06:58 AM »

Stay within the regs and life is good
  And don’t waste a resource

Offline KingPerch

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #197 on: Nov 28, 2021, 07:33 AM »
Stay within the regs and life is good
  And don’t waste a resource
x2
“Saving the perch population, one walleye at a time”-reeleyz 2021

Don’t worry Freddie, Hot bite is at 11:00!!😜

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #198 on: Nov 29, 2021, 04:55 PM »
Selective harvest is the way to go, whether you keep 5 or 50.  I don't think anyone has mentioned the situation that occurs when too many of the big bull bluegills are taken out.  Since their genetics are no longer very prevalent, the genetics from the quickly sexually maturing and slow growing bluegills replace the good ones.

Some people may think that the lake/pond is full of dinks from over-population, but in fact, it is full of crap genetics because the greedy folks had to keep the 9"+ gills instead of the 7-8" gills.  The meat from two 7" bluegills is probably close to equal to the meat of one 9" bluegill, maybe a bit more.  And if more people did that, there would be plenty of eater fish AND picture-worthy fish for subsequent years.

Offline Scranton Joe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #199 on: Nov 29, 2021, 05:51 PM »
Selective harvest is the way to go, whether you keep 5 or 50.  I don't think anyone has mentioned the situation that occurs when too many of the big bull bluegills are taken out.  Since their genetics are no longer very prevalent, the genetics from the quickly sexually maturing and slow growing bluegills replace the good ones.

Some people may think that the lake/pond is full of dinks from over-population, but in fact, it is full of crap genetics because the greedy folks had to keep the 9"+ gills instead of the 7-8" gills.  The meat from two 7" bluegills is probably close to equal to the meat of one 9" bluegill, maybe a bit more.  And if more people did that, there would be plenty of eater fish AND picture-worthy fish for subsequent years.

....stop making sense.

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #200 on: Nov 29, 2021, 07:55 PM »

To each their own. A eater to one person may not be to the other. Or maybe that guy is a weekend warrior so he only gets a couple days a month to fish so keeps anything that will eat. I don't knock which ever way you choose to be. My self if i feel it's and eater I'm keeping it. Unless there is a legal size

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #201 on: Nov 29, 2021, 07:55 PM »

To each their own. A eater to one person may not be to the other. Or maybe that guy is a weekend warrior so he only gets a couple days a month to fish so keeps anything that will eat. I don't knock which ever way you choose to be. My self if i feel it's and eater I'm keeping it. Unless there is a legal size

Offline AcezHi

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #202 on: Nov 30, 2021, 08:07 AM »
In our case here in Maine there are warning from IFW not to eat too many fish as they contain Mercury.
That is the biggest reason we release most everything.

Offline IceSpartan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #203 on: Nov 30, 2021, 08:28 AM »
I’ve been practicing catch and release for over 20 years now.  It’s my own little attempt to help preserve the fish populations.  I’m 65, and the waters I frequent don’t have nearly the number of fish they did when I was younger.  It’s not even close.  Some bodies of water aren’t even worth fishing anymore.  I don’t begrudge anyone keeping fish they plan to eat.  It’s perfectly legal.  But I do get mad when I see people abusing the creel limits or killing fish they have no intent on eating.  Just my 2 cents. 

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #204 on: Nov 30, 2021, 10:45 AM »
What's the use of a limit then? Get your daily limit, take them home, put in freezer, go back out....I don't get it??

That's not how it works.
Here in Alaska we have a daily limit.
You cannot exceed the daily limit in any one 24-hour period.
Then we have a possession limit which is two times the daily limit.
That is to allow people to go camping and fishing, for a weekend for instance, then catch and keep fish both days.
Beyond that there is no limit to how many fish you may have at home.
But in order for you to have more than a possession of limit of fish on you you must either have all the information,( name address license number) of the other person who caught it or the fish must be preserved in a manner that makes them fit for consumption after 14 days.
Vacuum sealed and Frozen, smoked, pressure canned, etc.
Virtually everyone in Alaska puts up salmon in the summer when they are running and halibut from the ocean when they are available in the summer.
If they didn't allow that we'd be bearing down on the capital with pitchforks and torches!
But at no time are you allowed to exceed the daily limit or The possession limit.
So no, you cannot run home throw them in your freezer and come back and catch a second limit.
Not legally anyway!
KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #205 on: Nov 30, 2021, 12:55 PM »
How about when the fish are just chemically polluted and too harmful for consumption, you just release them back.  ;)
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #206 on: Nov 30, 2021, 02:18 PM »
What's the use of a limit then? Get your daily limit, take them home, put in freezer, go back out....I don't get it??

Most of us have a moral compass and are capable of following a simple regulation, such as a daily limit.

On the other hand, psychopaths have the inability to distinguish between right and wrong... some even look for validation from others for their behavior??

"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline stout93

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #207 on: Nov 30, 2021, 02:26 PM »
That's not how it works.
Here in Alaska we have a daily limit.
You cannot exceed the daily limit in any one 24-hour period.
Then we have a possession limit which is two times the daily limit.
That is to allow people to go camping and fishing, for a weekend for instance, then catch and keep fish both days.
Beyond that there is no limit to how many fish you may have at home.
But in order for you to have more than a possession of limit of fish on you you must either have all the information,( name address license number) of the other person who caught it or the fish must be preserved in a manner that makes them fit for consumption after 14 days.
Vacuum sealed and Frozen, smoked, pressure canned, etc.
Virtually everyone in Alaska puts up salmon in the summer when they are running and halibut from the ocean when they are available in the summer.
If they didn't allow that we'd be bearing down on the capital with pitchforks and torches!
But at no time are you allowed to exceed the daily limit or The possession limit.
So no, you cannot run home throw them in your freezer and come back and catch a second limit.
Not legally anyway!

Go back and read the post from the guy from ID. That's exactly how he explained it. Thus the reason why I asked "why even have a daily limit at all..." Listen, I'm not from ID so I don't know if he explained it wrong or if that's really the way it works, I was just calling it out since it sounded ridiculous.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #208 on: Nov 30, 2021, 02:35 PM »
I have watched our Perch limit drop from 50 to 15 and our Walleye limit drop from 8 to 4. I will tell a friend or two where I find fish, but will never post a location or photo of a location on the internet. I don't like seeing lakes getting overfished. The only thing that saves them is another body of water gets hot and the herd goes there. My son and I were fishing a lake last winter when someone posted that another lake had a hot Perch bite going. We were in his popup on a drop off with submerged trees below us in line with eight large wheel houses. Seven of them left for another location.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #209 on: Nov 30, 2021, 03:08 PM »
And people still want to argue that hotspotting on social media has no effect...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.