Author Topic: Tungsten jigs  (Read 23378 times)

Offline slamer58

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Tungsten jigs
« Reply #30 on: Oct 05, 2017, 06:45 PM »
The drop speed you get with a tungsten jig is a game changer.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #31 on: Oct 09, 2017, 10:03 AM »
rather than copy and paste my thoughts i wrote them here.
https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=347680.msg3702574#msg3702574

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Oct 12, 2017, 09:55 AM »
There selling epoxy tungsten for around $3 at link be low with others going for around $6  some as low as .89 cents see link..

http://sportsmensdirect.com/shop/search/search_key:Heavy%20Metal

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Dec 05, 2017, 03:50 PM »
But if both weigh the same how can one be heavier?   ::)

Offline desmobob

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I can't feel my toes...
« Reply #34 on: Dec 05, 2017, 05:51 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

Not heavier... denser; same weight but smaller size.  Equals less resistance falling through the water.  Kind of like dropping a 1/64 oz. feather vs. a 1/64th oz. pebble.  In a vacuum, they fall at the same speed.  In air, the resistance slows the feather.  And water offers more resistance than air.

Anyway, I just bought a selection of tungsten jigs and found the more expensive ones (Nils) were much better quality than the cheaper ones (Northland).  There's nothing worse for a guy with aging eyes than having to take a pin and try to clear the tough powder coat paint out of the hook eyes on #14 jigs.  The Nils tungsten jigs are a thing of beauty.

Tight lines,
Bob

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Dec 06, 2017, 04:31 PM »
no he seemed confused the a 3mm tungsten jig wouldn't weigh more than a 3mm lead jig which it is.  like 1.7 i believe.

i bought some tungsten 3/8 oz jig heads for walleye fishing.  they cost 3 bucks a piece.  they were smaller than a typical 1/4 oz jig head.  they were amazing. but like with any type of jig fishign for walleye, they eventually got lost.  when fishing the dam scour holes, other boats were amazed i could keep what appeared to be a 1/4 oz jighead in control when they were struggling with their 3/8/-1/2 oz jigs. 

anyway,

i will also say.  people paying 4 bucks for a single tungsten jig, is freaking nuts.  i dont' care how pretty it looks. 

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Dec 07, 2017, 01:18 AM »
I guess you could equate a jig box full of $3-$4 tungsten jigs to a tackle box full of $3-$4 crankbaits for soft water fishing or a box full of Mepps. How many of those have we all lost in a river?

A quality $3 tungsten jig, to me, is just a far better tool than a .60¢ lead jig. The angler has so much more precise control over the jig. They basically do all the things you wish would happen when a light lead jig is frustrating you.

Profile, action, jigging cadence, and drop speed (fast or slow) can go a long way when coercing smart fish into biting and tungsten jigs help me accomplish those things much better than traditional lead jigs. I don’t mind giving up $3 a jig for that. They also pull great double duty under a float in the warmer months and with Fiskas new long-shank and heavier weights, they become rather versatile all year long.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Dec 07, 2017, 09:37 AM »
i can see that justification but we are talking a 15 cent hook ( a good vmc) soldered to a 30 cent piece of tungsten with a splash of paint.  a fraction of what it costs to build a crankbait.  now some of the paint schemes are wildly amazing and i'm sure that labor is what drives these prices but i think we are buying pretty things because they are pretty to us.  I have a slug of bratner jigs and my fiskas catch just as many fish with "lesser" paint schemes. 

i'm all for buying what you want.  i've bought all sorts of absurd crap that was overpriced. but i didn't argue that tungsten wasn't better than lead.  i can find 1.50-2.00 tungsten jigs that are painted in all sorts of colors and glows that suffice.

for me this is more a yeti vs rtic type of deal.  they are basically identical yet one is twice the price and people will pay that just to say they could/did. 

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #38 on: Dec 07, 2017, 09:58 AM »
There is a difference in mainly the hooks, “sticky sharp” is what I’m after, like the fiskas for example. Do u have to pay that much for a jig, no, but u get what u pay for !! Will they all catch fish?  Yes they will, whatever your wallet, and mind can afford, like u say they all will work , just some better than others !!

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Dec 07, 2017, 12:00 PM »
There is a difference in mainly the hooks, “sticky sharp” is what I’m after, like the fiskas for example. Do u have to pay that much for a jig, no, but u get what u pay for !! Will they all catch fish?  Yes they will, whatever your wallet, and mind can afford, like u say they all will work , just some better than others !!

i guarantee that the hooks in bratner jigs is not sharper than the fiskas and like clam jigs. 

i bought some .50  cent tungsten jigs when they first came out.  man were we excited.  we'd bring up hooks with no more tungsten on them, broken hooks.  it was hilarious.  thats when i was like we got to spend the money.  but ultimately all these other products ont he market, C&J, fiskas, clam started coming out wiht them, they are pretty much identical to the 4 dollar tungstens.  maybe not as intricate with the paint but i dont' think that matters. 

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Dec 07, 2017, 12:34 PM »
I find out the best jig I have is usually the one that has the paint wore  off, and is a gray color! Color is most of the time over emphasized

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Dec 07, 2017, 06:12 PM »
Well, the thing with tungsten jigs is that ALL of them are either made in Russia or China because that’s where the refineries are that are capable of smelting tungsten and I’m pretty sure that most tungsten comes from that part of the world. It takes an immense amount of heat for tungsten to melt. Depending on the refinery, quality can be significantly different from each. That’s where you see cheap tungsten jigs that fall apart and have bad finish. Cheap tungsten, cheap hooks, cheap paint, cheap labor.  When jig sellers shop around for quality tungsten suppliers it really shows in the end product. Usually, these jigs are imported bare and are then hand painted and finished here in the States by the final seller. You get better bare jigs, better attention to finish detail/durability, and an overall better end product.

Now......does any of this matter to the fish?.......not a bit. However, as a consumer, it matters to me and my wallet a lot. Quality tackle is a must for any angler in all price ranges. For me, I’d rather buy something once that’s a little pricey than buy something several times because it’s cheap.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Dec 07, 2017, 06:34 PM »
Not sure but I thought I read the melting point for tungsten was around 3500* correct me if I’m wrong. That’s why they solder the hooks onto the tungsten

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #43 on: Dec 07, 2017, 06:42 PM »
I think the melting point of Tungsten is close to 6,200 degrees.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Dec 07, 2017, 06:48 PM »
The hooks can’t withstand that temp, or they would all be brittle , hence the soldering

Offline caldwellite

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #45 on: Dec 07, 2017, 07:15 PM »
Melting point 3410 Celsius  + or_ 20 degrees. My conversion table only goes to 2482 Celsius = 4500  Fahrenheit. Sorry.

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Dec 08, 2017, 08:08 AM »
yeah they all have to solder it on after the fact or just buy the whole thing in bulk hook and all.  the difference being even the most expensive paint and expensive hook we are talking a matter of cents, not dollars.  i've had bratner jigs fall apart and hooks break occasionally too. 

Offline TheCrappieFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #47 on: Dec 08, 2017, 08:16 AM »
Melting point 3410 Celsius  + or_ 20 degrees. My conversion table only goes to 2482 Celsius = 4500  Fahrenheit. Sorry.

Google tells me that is 6170 Fahrenheit  ;D

Offline maddogg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #48 on: Dec 08, 2017, 09:34 AM »
I would think all the tungsten jigs are made in Russia or China.

Offline Rugburn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Carpeted boat + rough water = RUGBURN
« Reply #49 on: Dec 19, 2017, 10:31 AM »
Love the Fiskas jigs. Matter of fact, I had the same jig tied to my favorite jigging rod all last season. Caught 100s of fish on that jig. In the grand scheme of things, who cares if it cost a buck more? They just plain work well for me. Like others have said, it takes a little getting used to. I don't fish my lead jigs anymore. Now they feel unresponsive and slow.

Offline logicallycompromised

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #50 on: Jan 11, 2018, 10:13 PM »
last week i put out a couple inquires on alibaba for bulk pricing.  not sure if anyone else wants to get on board with this?  if you are further along in the process, can i come on-board?  i think i can justify buying as many as about 50 or so.  looks like we can get them as low as about 20cents a piece.  all 4 of my inquires when unanswered outside of an automated message.  maybe my quotes are for not enough products to gain a response=/ i will try again.

i have found a couple sources on ebay for around 1-1.2$ per 5mm jig which is good enough for me to just get some and worry more about a bulk order later.

EDIT: after sleeping on it, i have moved forward with the ebay options for now.
do what they do, get what they get.
refinement reflects understanding...the more you know, they less you need.
science is love, science is life.
i enjoy fishing and happy to help others find similar or greater levels of joy and success; just need to reach out to me.
peace and long life!

https://www.instagram.com/logicallycompromised/

Offline tungstenman

• IceShanty Rookie
  • tungsten man
« Reply #51 on: Jun 21, 2021, 02:35 AM »
tungsten jigs are absolutely amazing. density 18.1g/cc. there are thousands of tungsten jigs

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #52 on: Jul 21, 2021, 03:30 PM »
tungsten ice jigs also work great drifting open water for Bluegill and Crappie. We tip ours with Berkley Gulp Alive! 1" minnows. We also caught largemouth bass on them. We like to use the 6mm jigs so the line stays taught while drifting.

Just bought some more jigs for open water. Man! Are they expensive. $3 per jig. Glad I found a place to get them for less than that..at least for now.
jbird68

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #53 on: Jul 22, 2021, 07:59 PM »
Heres a little summertime trick using ice jigs.instead of tying the jig to the end and dragging it thru the weeds.i tie on a jig and leave a long tag line about 1 to 2 ft long and then pinch a splitshot to the tag end.basically like a micro dropshot rig and the sinker hits the weedline and the jig is above the weeds.works great in deep water and can feel bites better too.

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #54 on: Jul 22, 2021, 09:07 PM »
Nice, might have to try that for walleye, can down size my jigs a bit.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #55 on: Jul 27, 2021, 10:57 PM »
Hype tends to lead to myths and the wrong application and dissemination of the facts.  ;)

Likewise there's a reason I like tungsten as weights as it's harder and gives a more pronounced feedback when banging up against rocks and wood.  Similar to brass weights over that of lead.

As for jigs, I haven't figure out if a more mechanically induced jigging motion warrants better presentation.  There is a time and place when I need to make a nervous vibrating jigging motion and then there is a time when I need a fluid waving motion.  Whatever the fish prefers.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.