Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Whitefish

Bottoms

<< < (2/5) > >>

jabers69:
Thanks for the help  :thumbsup:

Tambo:
I've caught too many in both hard and mud bottoms to make a judgement.  However, if i had a choice, I'd say sticky bottoms.  Best analogy I have for whities are like hogs digging in teh mud for food.
Tambo

cheffy:

Spend most of my icefishing time on whites  and have found that at early ice and late ice they hang out in 3-7 ft of water in sandy or muddy bottomed places. In mid-Winter they are found in the 12-16 ft range in the same areas.I have found that various colored wire worms fished horizontal on the bottom or 2-3 inches off the bottom works best for me.I'll fish one color lure for about 15-20 minutes then change color,I try to have 5-6 lines ready to go the night before.Whitefish have very,very good eyesight so you need to go with a thin line as possible, sometimes they will see the line and swim away,a 4 or 6 lb line is about as thick as you want to go.If you are sight fishing you will be able to see them take the hook, try to resist the urge to set it too early.Hope this info will help you out.
                                                          Good Fishin & Tight Lines

Barleydog:
Cheffy,
Do you have any pics of the wire worms you use?  Great post!

cheffy:

Hey there Barleydog
     Sorry bud spent the digital camera money on a power auger so no pics of a wire worm,but if you go to "the fishin hole" or canadian tire web sites they have pics.Basically its just a "j" hook with either copper or brass wire wrapped around the shaft and to add color you paint the wire portion.They'll cost you about a buck a piece so pick up a few different colors.I don't generally jig a wire worm but rather just make it "shiver" by barely moving my wrist with a lift of no more than 2 inches every once in awhile.Horizontal presentation is very important when fishing for whites if you see a white comming in and the hook is facing the wrong way slowly turn it using your thumb and fingers.As small as the hook my seem a white will pick it up off the bottom so if you miss a white just let your hook settle back to the bottom and more often than not it will come back and pick it up.It seems that if you get one white, get your hook back down the hole as soon as you can as there will be more than one lurking around and you have to watch the fall as they will take a falling hook.i know as I've missed a few on the down fall. ::)  I hope this helps everyone out.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version