Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Whitefish

Bottoms

<< < (3/5) > >>

cheffy:

I noticed that there were over 100 people who checked out this site but there are very few post and even less sharing of tips and information on fishing.I know we all like to have our "secrets" but I have found over 30 years of fishing that if you think of something chances are somebody else has already thought of it. ;D
                                                             Good Fishing & Tight Lines

Barleydog:
Amen to your last comment cheffy!  Great tips your sharing, and for one, I hope it makes me a better whitefish fisher!!  I tie a decent bloodworm pattern for trout, so maybe the reduction in size may be just the ticket.  The fish I will be targeting are extremely large humpback whitefish.  These guys are like subs!  I like the "turning the hook trick", it's great to see your technique works.  Now save up some $$$ and get a camera!  Thanks again...  -Jim

cheffy:

Barleydog
   You might to also try a small beadheaded nymph,not sure about the pattern but just about any one with a gold colored bead and a dark body with silver or gold thread on the body works well at late ice.Another lure that you might want to try is called a "Wetaskawin Special" Basically it's a quad hook that has a small spinner blade wedged between the shafts of the hook and you jig it just off the bottom or let it sit on the bottom and the whites will pick it up. Where are you fishing for whites?I'm in Alberta and there are lots of lakes and streams that have whites so I go fishing for them year round. We have two types of whitefish here and both have different styles and techniques to catch them.

'

Barleydog:
Cheffy,
I can tie that up.  I use a ton of beadheads for flyfishing.  It's by far my favorite pattern.  I had thought using them, but never got around to it.  Now's the time.  I live in Interior Alaska, and fish for anything that presents a challenge, AND WHITEFISH ARE A CHALLENGE!  They have my number through the ice, but once the ice is gone they seem easy to catch.  The humback is the target most sought after.  It will happen!

cheffy:

Hey Barleydog
        Try using a size 7 hook the whites here really like that size.I agree completely about whitefish being a challange.I've been fishing for whites for 12 years and every year I learn something new about them.Let me know how you do this winter
                                                                     Good Fishing & Tight Lines
                                                                              Cheffy

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version